Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ijaz Ahmad Al-Swedi

The ˀewangelīōn [= Gospel] And ˀōrāytā [= Torah]

Rate this topic

As-salaamu `alaikum / šǝlāmā

Ahl as-sunnah wa l-jamāʻah and Shīʿah assume that the ˀewangelīōn [= Gospel, ܐܸܘܲܢ̈ܓܸܠܼܝܲܐ] and ˀōrāytā are entirely corrupted, thus, there is no truth and guidance therein. Furthermore, they assume that the original ˀewangelīōn and ˀōrāytā were lost, however some parts can still be found, they say. Verily, the Qur'ān do acknowledge some corruption, however, it's not tantamount to wholesale corruption of the ˀewangelīōn and ˀōrāytā, truth can still be extracted from the previous scriptures. Alāhā ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì also pardoned the people of the book [= ahl ktab; yahuwd/hadoo and nasraya/nazarenes (ܢܨܪܝܐ)] for concealing their scriptures.

“Have you any hope that they will be true to you when a party of them [= fariqun min'hum] used to listen to the word of God, then used to change it, after they had understood it, knowingly?” [2/75]

Kindly note that this is not referring to all 'ahl ktab' but some of them [= ... when a party of them ...]. 

Some verses afterwards, one gets further information that some of 'ahl ktab' were also gentiles [= ummiyuna, Syr. arāmāyā; ˁammǝmāy (ܥܡܡܝܐ, root ˁmmy)] who had no understanding of the scripture, but only followed their own desires and speculations: 

"And there are among them 'Gentiles', who know not the Book, but (see therein their own) desires, and they do nothing but conjecture". "Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say: "This is from God," so that they may take from it a small price!- Woe to them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby" [2/78-79]

Comprehension of the context and audience is the clue. This statement was mainly in relation to the Arab Jews and Nazarenes at the time of the Prophet (pbuh) and what they recognized as scriptures in the 6th-7th century. There were amongst them people of the previous scriptures that did distort the scriptures for some reasons. However, this did not mean that the complete ˀewangelīōn and ˀōrāytā was corrupted or had become wholly impossible to perceive or discern due to the alterations. The Qur'ān never tells the believers that the previous scriptures are wholly altered and therefore truth and guidance can't be found therein, in fact, the veracity of the ˀewangelīōn and ˀōrāytā is vouched by the Qur'ān: 

But why do they come to you for decision, when they have (their own) Torah before them?  therein is the (plain) command of God; yet even after that, they would turn away. For they are not People of Faith. [5/43]

The cogitation that the ˀewangelīōn and ˀōrāytā are wholly corrupted and therefore truth and guidance can't be found therein is unwarranted from the Qur'ānic point of view and this is caused by misapprehension on the part of many Muslims who don't know the contents and history of the ˀewangelīōn and ˀōrāytā. 

Hi IjazLinorAhmed,

Quote from Post 1:
Have you any hope that they will be true to you when a party of them [= fariqun min'hum] used to listen to the word of God, then used to change it, after they had understood it, knowingly?” [2/75]

"And there are among them 'Gentiles', who know not the Book, but (see therein their own) desires, and they do nothing but conjecture". "Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say: "This is from God," so that they may take from it a small price!- Woe to them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby" [2/78-79]

Response: --- These two verses have been taken out of context and used often to say that something was changed in the former Scriptures, but they follow a long discourse about the failure and disobedience of the Jews.

--- The Jews in Madinah had started to oppose Muhammad and his teaching, so they had to be taken on a trip down memory lane to be shown the disobedience of their forefathers, in the days of Moses, --- which was the same spirit of rebellion they were displaying.
In Moses day, they chose the calf to worship, they broke their covenant with God, and defiled the Sabbath, in Surah 2:51-66.

--- Then it speaks of a special Sacrifice from Numbers 19 in the OT from 67-71. --- The sacrifice of an unblemished heifer as an atonement, or for ‘purification from their sins.’

Then God brings them up to the time of Jesus, to another sacrifice and gives this very difficult rendering, saying:
72 Remember ye slew a man and fell into a dispute among yourselves as to the crime: But God was to bring forth what ye did hide.
73 So We (God) said: "Strike the (body) with a piece of the (heifer)." Thus God bringeth the dead to life and showeth you His Signs: Perchance ye may understand.

The Commentator Maulana, who says in a footnote in the Pickthall Translation, that “This refers to the martyrdom of Jesus Christ,” --- also says that the word translated ‘strike’ can mean ‘compared to’ or ‘likened to,’ --- so it is rendered that way by Sher Ali:

73 Then WE said, `Compare this incident with some other similar ones' and you will discover the truth. Thus does Allah give life to the dead and show you HIS Signs that you may understand.

--- (You can imagine how much the rebellious Jews in Madinah wanted to be reminded of the sacrifice of Jesus for the sins of the world, since the Jews had always been blamed for it, --- and the next verse says of the Jews):
74 Then your hearts became hardened after that, till they were like stones or harder still.

--- (It directs the question in the next verse, to the sincere Muslims in Madinah):
75 Can ye (o ye men of Faith) entertain the hope that they will believe in you? - Seeing that a party of them heard the Word of God, and perverted it knowingly after they understood it.

--- (It is quite different when it is put in context, isn’t it?)

(Your verse): Have you any hope that they will be true to you when a party of them [= fariqun min'hum] used to listen to the word of God, then used to change it, after they had understood it, knowingly?” [2/75]

--- This is speaking to the Jews in Madinah who knew the word of God, but they changed it in their teaching of it. --- They could hardly go back thousands of years and change manuscripts, could they? --- So this has nothing to do with changing the Torah, or the Gospel, or the revelations Muhammad had received.

--- So they simply knew the truth but taught lies. --- And the question was, --- “Do you think they will listen to you, or ‘be true to you’(to become Muslims) when they do such things?”

(The second reference is 4 verses later, to the same Jews who disagreed with Muhammad and the Gospel, so you can imagine what they wrote in their books in AD 625, --- that they sold for a profit.)

2:79Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say: "This is from God," to traffic with it for miserable price! - Woe to them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby.

(Your verse): "Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say: "This is from God," so that they may take from it a small price!- Woe to them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby" [2/79]

That was the same as men writing books today, who criticize Christians and Muslims, and they may include portions of Scriptures that they can distort to make their case.--- And they make a profit, because it is big business today.

Placid

The Koran never mentions that the Bible is corrupted. This is a later development or rather fabrication within Islam to extol the virtues of said belief.

Edited by shreek

When you read the Quran you get the impression that the Injeel was a book revealed to Jesus that renders the Words of God, much like the Torah and the Quran itself. But, as I learnt years later, it's nothing of the sort to my surprise. It's more like hadiths collections of the sayings and actions of Jesus. It almost seems as though Muhammad was himself confused.

What puzzles me most is when the Quran enjoins Christians to judge by the Injeel that was revealed to them (5:47) since it was God's Will to have more than a single religious community (5:48); but if the Injeel is corrupt then why would God sanction it?

Edited by Sea Ocean

When you read the Quran you get the impression that the Injeel was a book revealed to Jesus that renders the Words of God, much like the Torah and the Quran itself. But, as I learnt years later, it's nothing of the sort to my surprise. It's more like hadiths collections of the sayings and actions of Jesus. It almost seems as though Muhammad was himself confused.

What puzzles me most is when the Quran enjoins Christians to judge by the Injeel that was revealed to them (5:47) since it was God's Will to have more than a single religious community (5:48); but if the Injeel is corrupt then why would God sanction it?

And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people. [Matthew 4:23]

And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. [Matthew 9:35]

The Gospel was revelation given to Jesus, although it was almost certainly never written down in the form of a physical book (neither was the Qur'an for a long time). Some of the teachings of the Gospel however survive in the four Gospel accounts written by the four Evangelists, and this is what the Qur'an asks Christians to judge by, since it's all they have.

You know, it's kind of funny that non-Muslims attribute all this knowledge of other scriptures to the Prophet Muhammad, as well as knowledge from other sources such as the ancient Greeks, but at the same time he supposedly had no clue that there were four Gospel accounts, that gave a description of the life of Jesus, and that all mentioned he was crucified. Something doesn't really add up there.

Edited by Haydar Husayn

I don't know what is meant by "the gospel of the kingdom". I have much to learn about Christianity but it may indeed be the Injeel that the Quran refers to.

Some of the teachings of the Gospel however survive in the four Gospel accounts written by the four Evangelists, and this is what the Qur'an asks Christians to judge by, since it's all they have.

So in your opinion the Quran enjoins Christians to judge by the 4 gospels we know today? Isn't that an implicit approval of their authenticity?

I'm not here to criticise Islam. My objective here is to understand Muhammad's view of Christianity and their scripture as per Quran. It's a topic I will explore further as I plan to learn more about Christianity.

I don't know what is meant by "the gospel of the kingdom". I have much to learn about Christianity but it may indeed be the Injeel that the Quran refers to.

So in your opinion the Quran enjoins Christians to judge by the 4 gospels we know today? Isn't that an implicit approval of their authenticity?

I'm not here to criticise Islam. My objective here is to understand Muhammad's view of Christianity and their scripture as per Quran. It's a topic I will explore further as I plan to learn more about Christianity.

I think the Qur'an is enjoining Christians to judge by the teachings in Jesus contained in the four Gospels (rather than the commentary given by the Evangelists). There is nothing in those teachings which is really incompatible with Islam. So if any approval of authenticity is been given, it is to the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels, rather than the Gospels themselves.

Hi,

The word Injil or Injeel is used interchangeably with Gospel, which means ‘good news,’ --- and it was a Message for mankind.

This verse shows how it is used in Surah 3:
48 "And God will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel,”

48 Shakir: “And He will teach him the Book and the wisdom and the Taurat and the Injeel.”

The Gospel was the Message of good news. --- I think we have established before that the Injil was not a book, because as a Message, it was given to Jesus through his intellect, --- God didn’t give Him a book to sit down and read.

In the same way, when God revealed a message to Muhammad, He revealed it through his intellect, did He not?
--- Because Muhammad didn’t read or write, and did not know the Scriptures, it says this in Surah 42:
52 And thus have We (God) inspired in thee (Muhammad) a Spirit of Our command. Thou knewest not what the Scripture was, nor what the Faith. But We have made IT (the revelation) a ‘light whereby We guide’ whom We will of Our bondmen. And lo! thou verily dost guide unto a right path,

This was the inspiration of God’s Holy Spirit that revealed Faith, and the knowledge of the former Scriptures to Muhammad.

And the Message of the Gospel or Injil, that God gave to Jesus, --- was the 'Good News' of God’s salvation through Faith and obedience.

My answers in read 

Hi,

The word Injil or Injeel is used interchangeably with Gospel, which means ‘good news,’ --- and it was a Message for mankind. The Injeel was revealed for Bani Israel.

This verse shows how it is used in Surah 3:

48 "And God will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel,” 

48 Shakir: “And He will teach him the Book and the wisdom and the Taurat and the Injeel.”

The Gospel was the Message of good news. --- I think we have established before that the Injil was not a book, because as a Message, it was given to Jesus through his intellect, --- God didn’t give Him a book to sit down and read. Indeed, it was not a book, but 'wisdom'. You cited 3:48, let me demonstrate this verse. This verse mentions four things with the particle 'wa' (and) 

1. Book

and

2. Widsom

and

3. Taurat

and

4. Injeel

Book = Taurat

Injeel = Wisdom 

1injeel-i1.jpg

In the same way, when God revealed a message to Muhammad, He revealed it through his intellect, did He not?

--- Because Muhammad didn’t read or write, and did not know the Scriptures, it says this in Surah 42:

52 And thus have We (God) inspired in thee (Muhammad) a Spirit of Our command. Thou knewest not what the Scripture was, nor what the Faith. But We have made IT (the revelation) a ‘light whereby We guide’ whom We will of Our bondmen. And lo! thou verily dost guide unto a right path,

This was the inspiration of God’s Holy Spirit that revealed Faith, and the knowledge of the former Scriptures to Muhammad.

And the Message of the Gospel or Injil, that God gave to Jesus, --- was the 'Good News' of God’s salvation through Faith and obedience.

Sorry, but I can't answer more, I've fever. Will answer, when I feel well! thanks for replying! 

Hi Sea Ocean,

Quote from Haydar Husayn in Post 8:

I think the Qur'an is enjoining Christians to judge by the teachings of Jesus contained in the four Gospels (rather than the commentary given by the Evangelists).

There is nothing in those teachings which is really incompatible with Islam. So if any approval of authenticity is been given, it is to the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels, rather than the Gospels themselves.

A good way to follow up on Haydar Husayn’s suggestion about the Gospel Message being in what Jesus taught, --- is to get a “Red Letter Edition” of the King James, New King James, New International Version, or New American Standard Version, --- and just read what is written in ‘red’ in the four Gospel accounts.

Because the four accounts were written for different ‘people groups’ you find some repetition, but you can read it in half the time, just reading Jesus’ words.

Hi IjazLinorAhmed

Quote from Post 10:

The word Injil or Injeel is used interchangeably with Gospel, which means ‘good news,’ --- and it was a Message for mankind.

(You wrote in red): The Injeel was revealed for Bani Israel.

Response: --- That is true, the Gospel Message was to be given to the Jews first, which it was. --- When all of the Jews from various countries, listed in Acts 2, witnessed the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and Peter preached to them to explain it, --- they were all Jews who responded.

--- They would take the Message and the experience of their conversion back to their own country, and teach it to their Jewish community first. --- Therefore, Christianity came totally from the Jews.

All the authors of the New Testament were Jews, except the Greek Historian, Luke. --- So we have all learned the Scriptures from the Jews.

However, the ministry of Jesus was to all, as is evidenced in Matthew 4:

23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people.

24 Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them.

25 Great multitudes followed Him—from Galilee, and from Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea, and beyond the Jordan.

And it does say this in Surah 19:

20 She (Mary) said: How can I have a son when no mortal hath touched me, neither have I been unchaste?

21 He said: So (it will be). Thy Lord saith: It is easy for Me. And (it will be) that We may make of him a revelation for 'mankind' and a mercy from Us (God), and it is a thing ordained.

Yes, the Gospel Message was for the Jews first, but not only for the Jews, don’t you agree?