Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Muslim Women & College

• Advanced Member

All  (salam)

I really want to start wearing an abaya! Thing is, I am entering my last year of college, and after that I will be applying for jobs. I live in a area where finding muslim covered women is extremely rare. ( Im the only "Hijabi" at my university). So, should I wait until I graduate and find a job to wear it, or should I wear it now? 

This question goes out to the Ladies who are in the same situation as me. What exactly would you do? 

• Forum Administrators

Abaya is good for a Muslim country or wearing to an Islamic Center or masjid. If you are living in the West, the clothing that looks professional is a knee length long sleeve dress worn over slacks with a headscarf. Or a long sleeve jacket (blazer) worn over an ankle length dress or skirt.

• Veteran Member

Are you suggesting that she will be unsafe wearing abaya or hijab? Or that she should follow the majority? Please clarify.

A cousin of mine in Germany faced multiple instances of verbal, and once physical, abuse that when she went to live in another city by herself she took the hijab off with the support of her family. Now she puts on one only when she's visiting other Muslim families or the religious centre in her hometown.

Hope that clarifies.

• Veteran Member

A cousin of mine in Germany faced multiple instances of verbal, and once physical, abuse that when she went to live in another city by herself she took the hijab off with the support of her family. Now she puts on one only when she's visiting other Muslim families or the religious centre in her hometown.

Hope that clarifies.

You can't make blanket statements about the whole of Europe based on a few isolated examples. If someone does indeed live in an area where they can't freely practice their religion, then they should be trying to move as soon as possible, rather than taking off their hijab. That would only be something to be done in the last resort, where wearing the hijab is too dangerous, it is not possible to move, and the woman needs to leave the house (for example to work to feed her kids).

• Veteran Member

All  (salam)

I really want to start wearing an abaya! Thing is, I am entering my last year of college, and after that I will be applying for jobs. I live in a area where finding muslim covered women is extremely rare. ( Im the only "Hijabi" at my university). So, should I wait until I graduate and find a job to wear it, or should I wear it now? 

This question goes out to the Ladies who are in the same situation as me. What exactly would you do? 

Salam/Shalom/Peace Mouradf,

If your college allows you to wear the Hijab, I think you should if you feel that is what God wants you to do.

While I don't wear a hijab (I am modest however), I very much respect and admire Muslim ladies who wear the hijab of their own free will, thinking that by doing so, they are pleasing the Creator. I think colorful hijabs are beautiful. :)

So, if I were you, I would definitely wear colorful hijabs at college, out of desire to please our Creator, and I would cheerfully and happily share my faith with all who ask, and pray for anybody who persecute me. I do admit sometimes I would love to wear a hijab myself, but I am not a Muslim. Who knows? Maybe someday I will be one of the few Christian women who wear a hijab.... :) God knows.

Oh, one of my heroes is a Muslim American lady - Amanda - who is wearing a hijab while competing in Masterchef!!! She is so sweet and kind and from what I can tell, is accepted by the Non-Muslim Americans. She is a very good representative to the Non-Muslim community of a wonderful Muslim lady, in my opinion, and i think she is a good role model for Muslim girls. She is modest and beautiful, and is not faceless or nameless.

http://www.hautehijab.com/blogs/hijab-fashion/28888897-amanda-saab-competes-as-the-first-hijabi-on-master-chef-on-fox-in-haute-hijab

Peace and may God greatly bless you

• Moderators

Hope that clarifies.

Thank you. Safety first, always. My perspective is that of an American Muslim: while there may be some bigots, in general diversity is embraced and people are encouraged to do what they feel is right so long as nobody is hurt by it.

• Forum Administrators

People can wear what they want in university classes or going shopping. However, when she goes for a job interview, she has to look professional, and her headscarf is a religious obligation that an interviewer might not be concerned with, but a long flowing black abaya might get a bad review from a recruiter.

• Moderators

(wasalam)

Sis, I would if you wanna do it, do it now, don't wait for the perfect/right time.... you will have to face issues both now and later.....one should try not to let external issues affect their actions...once you feel you have made the right decision , go ahead with it... there are always going to be obstacles  but if one practises perseverance things do get easier, inshallah

@marbles, I know what you are talking about, a friend of mine living in London, a doctor, decided to take off her Hijab after charlie hebdo , she actually got pushed in front of a bus :(  besides other hate stuff .... But two others living around london are still continuing with their hijab :)

• Veteran Member

You can't make blanket statements about the whole of Europe based on a few isolated examples. If someone does indeed live in an area where they can't freely practice their religion, then they should be trying to move as soon as possible, rather than taking off their hijab. That would only be something to be done in the last resort, where wearing the hijab is too dangerous, it is not possible to move, and the woman needs to leave the house (for example to work to feed her kids).

These are highly subjective experiences which would differ from person to person as to how they see the threat to themselves. I don't think it's that simple to define the stages of danger or threat in a concrete or objective way.

Perception, to a degree, is always at variance with cold, objective logic, and it is the perception of reality that makes us take the measures we do.