Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

My Pregnant Wife Converted To Another Religion

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salam to all my brothers and sisters in faith

I have a question about a complicated situation I have and want to know the Islamic laws regarding this.

I have been married for 4 years and have a child and another under way. My wife is 5th month pregnant and recently changed her religion from Islam to Bahaism. We have had many arguments but I try to not be so harsh to her since she is pregnant. What is the right decision. Should I divorce her and take my children away (I live in United States), or should I wait until she give birth, so I can talk to her more and have a chance to bring her back from her wrong path? Can I still live with her in the same house?

Thanks for your guidance in advance.

• Basic Members

One of her friends has convinced her with books and talks behind my back. So, am I still mahram? If not, I have to move out, and she is pregnant, can not take care of my two year old son. The whole thing is frustrating. I love my family and I want to do every thing to save her. Is it ok to take her to a local Islamic center and asked someone with Islamic knowledge to talk to her or is she considered Kafir and Najis now so Imams may not want to talk to her in mosque?

• Basic Members

Thank you for your answer.

Should I ask my local Imam or someone familiar with this cult talk to her? Or should I ask her to accompany me to local Islamic center? I think I have to move out of the house if my marriage is considered void. :mellow:

One of her friends has convinced her with books and talks behind my back. So, am I still mahram? If not, I have to move out, and she is pregnant, can not take care of my two year old son. The who thing is frustrating. I love my family and I want to do every thing to save her. Is it ok to take her to a local Islamic center and asked someone with Islamic knowledge to talk to her or is she considered Kafir and Najis now so Imams may not want to talk to her in mosque?

No the Imams at the Mosque will definitely talk to her and your wife may even come back to Islam if she realizes her marriage has become void, if she loves you.

• Advanced Member

Salam,

Condolences.

I believe you should wait until some time after birth because pregnancy & childbirth is known to increase emotional & mental instability. So it might be that after things have settled down biologically, she'll change her ways.

• Forum Administrators

The conversion could just be an emotional decision, or a case of challenged and confused identity.  You would hope she would believe in Islam for its own sake, but even if not, she needs to understand how important this is to you. 

She needs to decide between this new faith and her family, and which is more important, and know that she cannot have both.  If she has doubts or reservations, she could at least remain a cultural Muslim, hopefully with an open mind and heart.

Unfortunately in the US, the children usually go to the women. 

• Basic Members

The problem is she was a devout Muslim and now still believes in many Islamic laws except Khattamia and few more. From my understanding this cult challenges the Khatammia principle to the most and does not deny Islam as Christian or Jewish clergy do. If she had converted to Christianity I could argue with her and bring many reasons but this new cult needs new approach and logic that is beyond my knowledge. Is there any online Islamic source, expert in this cult so I may ask for more advice? I have to investigate more to find solid reasons to challenge the cult and save my wife and family. Hopefully a well informed Imam can help me out. I hate to leave my children behind.

• Basic Members

Bahai's are considered Najis, according to most of our Maraja. (The link is in Farsi).

Please take a look at this article, it could insha'Allah help you to find solid reasons to challenge their main belief.

So my wife is Najis? This situation is weird. If this is right, I have to clean myself each time I hug my little son or touch my wife! 

• Moderators

So my wife is Najis? This situation is weird. If this is right, I have to clean myself each time I hug my little son or touch my wife! 

It doesn't apply to your son, from what I understand of the fatwa, unless your son is baligh and rushd (i.e. an adult in the view of Islam). 

Also, there is a threshold for someone to have left Islam. They must officially and publically renounce the religion (i.e. they must declare something to the effect of the opposite of the Shahada) and say that they are no longer muslim. I believe this must be repeated multiple times over a period of days or weeks. If she is having doubts about the religion of Islam or is merely 'interested' in another religion, this doesn't count as having renounced Islam. Only if she declares repeatedly over a period of time that she is no longer muslim and she is a member of the Bahia cult and she is not open to discussion on the subject. Then your marriage is void, so she is non mahram to you. 

If she is not openly declaring yet, the best thing to do would be to sit down with her and discuss the issues that lead her to become interested in the Bahai cult or maybe involve a scholar in this conversation, if this is possible. 

Also, you must understand that Bahai are very active in the United States, as they are heavily funded by the CIA / FBI. They are backed by the same people who funded SAVAK and the MKO terrorist organization.

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Veteran Member

I don't think she knows what Bahaism actually is.

The problem is she was a devout Muslim and now still believes in many Islamic laws except Khattamia and few more. From my understanding this cult challenges the Khatammia principle to the most and does not deny Islam as Christian or Jewish clergy do. If she had converted to Christianity I could argue with her and bring many reasons but this new cult needs new approach and logic that is beyond my knowledge. Is there any online Islamic source, expert in this cult so I may ask for more advice? I have to investigate more to find solid reasons to challenge the cult and save my wife and family. Hopefully a well informed Imam can help me out. I hate to leave my children behind.

In the thread below, there are some evidences, out of many, show the cult's beliefs. Specifically posts by a member named hadez803 are useful regarding this issue.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235011371-why-does-iran-persecute-bahais/page-10

And also take a look at the below website's contents:

http://thebahaiinsider.com/category/why-i-left-bahai-faith/

• Moderators

I know this sounds harsh, but i don't know how to put it any other way. But regardless of what you do, have a plan B for the childrens sake. This goes for woman and men alike. If your partner goes haywire, you need to have a plan B for the children, meaning somehow taking them away.

In the US, that means getting the best lawyer you can afford. 

• Forum Administrators

Regarding najasa of humans, it is a contested issue and I suggest you consult marja` directly on that issue. Take her to knowledgeable Muslims (shaykhs and others), or bring them to your house if she wouldn't go. Try to gain custody of the newborn if possible. Tell her that this issue will force a divorce if she remains upon Bahaism, while reassuring that you love her and want the best for her, but will separate if it is necessary.

• Advanced Member

I will focus mostly on the Fiqhi issues of this case because there's some confusion.

Najasa - Baha'is are Najis technically, but that would only apply to your wife, not your children. Najasa is ascertained through wetness, not simply by touching them with a dry hand or hugging them. The wetness has to be able to flow to your hand from their body, meaning simple dampness doesn't suffice to ascertaining Najasa.

Apostasy - Apostasy is only ascertained though explicit acknowledgement of the apostate that they have rejected Islam and chosen another religion. A simple doubt or interest in another religion doesn't suffice. 

Marriage - In the case that your wife really did apostatize from Islam, then your marriage becomes void. From this point on you must treat her has a non-Mahram. That means no touching, no intercourse etc. 

Children - Since you are a Muslim, your children are therefore Muslims, and must be raised upon the Islamic faith, regardless of what your wife's religion may be. This is why we said before your children are not Najis.  In accordance to this, you must do what you can by your means to raise your children upon Islam and not another religion. 

Edited by Al-Afasy
  • Advanced Member

But the brother wanted advice according to Islamic law not advice on 'a purely humanistic basis'.

Salam to all my brothers and sisters in faith

I have a question about a complicated situation I have and want to know the Islamic laws regarding this

• Veteran Member

Does your state have dissolution of marriage? If so, do that and try to get custody. Lawyers cost thousands.

If you are in the UK, don't they have Muslim courts for some things? Including divorce?

In any case, you have to arrange a child care program ahead of time.

• Veteran Member

Therefore islamic law (fiqh) doesn't care of humanistic values, universal values ? Sorry to say you that there is a problem here.

What is a problem is putting values that were created independently of Islam above the God-given values laid out in the Qur'an and Sunnah. Look, if you want to come here and promote/defend the deviant views of your favourite scholar, that's fine. But please keep it out of serious discussions that are expected to reflect mainstream Twelver Shia opinions.

• Basic Members

What is a problem is putting values that were created independently of Islam above the God-given values laid out in the Qur'an and Sunnah.

So basically you are trying to say that God-given values can go against universal values or humanistic values ?

I would rather say that the problem here is not God but the man-made fiqhi values, methodologies and statements that we easily consider as the absolute intention or choice of God.

I would like to express my dissatisfaction with your childish and free censorship regarding my message and I am asking you to kindly restore my message unless you are afraid of something.

May God guide your steps.

Edited by Haydar Amuli

So basically you are trying to say that God-given values can go against universal values or humanistic values ?

I would rather say that the problem here is not God but the man-made fiqhi values,

These so called 'man-made fiqh values' as you say, are derived from the ḥadīths of the Ahlul Bayt (عليهم السلام),  whom they, and the Qur'ān are to be obeyed, according to the ordinance of Allāh (عَزَّ وَ جَلَّ). While the '​Humanistic values' that you claim to be universal are indeed man-made, and are founded by fallible individuals.

Wa`asalam    

Edited by Jaafar Al-Shibli
  • Basic Members

These so called 'man-made fiqh values' as you say, are derived from the ḥadīths of the Ahlul Bayt (عليهم السلام),  whom they, and the Qur'ān are to be obeyed, according to the ordinance of Allāh (عَزَّ وَ جَلَّ). While the '​Humanistic values' that you claim to be universal are indeed man-made, and are founded by fallible individuals.

Wa`asalam    

Can you restore my message please so that people can make their own judgement between universal values and fiqh values derived from the ḥadīths of the Ahlul Bayt (عليهم السلام) ?

Thank you my brother.

Edited by Haydar Amuli
  • Veteran Member

I would rather say that the problem here is not God but the man-made fiqhi values, methodologies and statements that we easily consider as the absolute intention or choice of God.

What is a 'universal' or 'humanistic' value, and from where does it derive it's authority?

I would like to express my dissatisfaction with your childish and free censorship regarding my message and I am asking you to kindly restore my message unless you are afraid of something.

May God guide your steps.

Not going to happen. This subforum, as the name indicates, is about Islamic laws and jurisprudence. Clearly by that we mean mainstream Twelver Shia jurisprudence (and any claims made here normally need to be sourced). This is what the subforum is for, and what people expect when they ask questions here.

You are free however to make a thread in other relevant subforums arguing for your 'humanistic' fiqh if you want.

Edited by Haydar Husayn
  • 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

Dear Brother,

You must fear not of the choice your wife has made in terms her spirituality. The burning love that you and your wife share for the grace of Allah is what matters the most in your lives. Allah has blessed your family. Embrace the child that you will have. Embrace the love of your wife, along with the spirtual path she must choose to take at her will. And most importantly, embrace the bounty and blessings that Allah has bestowed upon you and your family. By yourself, Investigate this Faith that your wife hath embraced. Learn why she has chosen to take the steps towards the Baha'i faith. Do not be filled with animosity brother. Be the true upright man and seek true knowledge on this subject, and put all your faith in Allah. Pray and meditate earnestly on this matter, and Allah shall truly guide you towards His most beloved essence. May peace be upon your and family my brother.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

According to Islamic laws, All followers of the misguided and deviated Baha’i faith are najis and all transacting and interaction with them must be refrained from.

But in regard to your case, it is better to talk to her and inform her about the consequence of this convert. You should wait until the birth of child and apply your decision. till this time, you have to be care about having any relationship with her. 

Of course, all of us love our family, but we have to care their loving doesn't cause to neglecting of Islamic teachings.