Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did This Get Approved? Can An Iranian Answer This?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salam, friends.

I came across this, I know its old but could anyone tell me if this actually got approved?

"Iran lawmakers pass bill allowing men to marry adopted daughters"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/26/iran-lawmakers-men-wed-adopted-daughters

In islam there is no such thing as adopted daughters. So there's your problem.

Yepp, not sure why people are confused about this. The laws of Mahram people are clear in the quran. You can adopt a girl, which in itself is not a problem, but she won't be mahram and hence you need to follow the standard laws of non mahrams: hijab, touching, etc etc. The only way to remove those bounds would be to marry her but put limitations to make it as much as possible close to what the limitations would be for a daughter.

• Veteran Member
To the dismay of rights campaigners, girls in the Islamic republic can marry as young as 13 provided they have the permission of their father. Boys can marry after the age of 15.

Yes, it's much better to just let them fornicate. Much more enlightened. You wouldn't want them to come under the control of the patriarchal institution of marriage too early after all.

"With this bill, you can be a paedophile and get your bait in the pretext of adopting children," Sadr said.

Couldn't a pedophile just adopt children and abuse them anyway? Why would they go to the trouble of marrying them?

The bill has prompted backlash in Iran with the reformist newspaper, Shargh, publishing an article warning about its consequences. "How can someone be looking after you and at the same time be your husband?" the article asked.

I thought women liked to be looked after by their husband? 

Shiva Dolatabadi, head of Iran's society for protecting children's rights, has also warned that the bill implies that the parliament is legalising incest.

Incest? What drugs are these people on?

• Veteran Member

So wait, does that mean a divorced lady with a daughter can get married, divorce the husband and then the husband can marry the daughter? What? Can someone please explain, as I thought this was not allowed? Thank you. 

No, That would be a step-daughter. It's talking about 'adopted daughters', that are no relation (whether through blood or marriage).

• Advanced Member

Couldn't a pedophile just adopt children and abuse them anyway? Why would they go to the trouble of marrying them?

I think they're saying is that in this case, the act of "pedophilia" can simply be called a lawful marital relationship even if the female child has not reached puberty. But girls mature faster than boys and most boys hit puberty at around age 12-13 so the claim of pedophilia is invalid. Whatever the reasons for passing this bill may be, I don't think a lot of people are crying to get married to little girls they've raised as their own. But there's always that rare case where such things are actually necessary. In any case, what I'm interested in is not the Islamic legal validity of the issue but whether this bill ever got approved or not.