Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
starlight

Heat Wave In Pakistan Kills Hundreds Within 2 Days

Rate this topic

What a ramazan......   :(     have no words to express the anger at I feel at the politicians ....  

http://newsweekpakistan.com/heatwave-death-toll-nears-200/

http://tribune.com.pk/story/907715/heatwave-death-toll-climbs-to-180/

Coping with the scorching heat has been made harder by the power cuts that are a daily feature of life in Pakistan.Karachi also had electricity shortages that crippled the water supply system, hampering the pumping of millions of gallons of water to consumers, the state-run water utility said.

Edhi Welfare Organization, Pakistan’s largest charity, said their mortuary had been packed to capacity with heatwave deaths and other casualties as 150 bodies were placed there. “We had to bury some 30 unclaimed bodies to make room in the mortuary,” said Edhi official Anwar Kazmi. He said this was the first time the organization had received so many bodies in a two-day span.

As a deadly heatwave continues to sweep Karachi and other parts of Sindh, the death toll has risen to over 350 in just two days.
Hospitals are reported to be overcrowded and all hospitals have declared a state of emergency across all wards. 

Edited by starlight

I dont know about the newspapers and all, but last i saw on TV, the death toll has officially risen to over a thousand as the deaths in private hospitals are not even being recorded..

Are you okay, Apo? Staying safe from the heat wave I hope.

I had a heat stroke a few days back Gaius and remained hospitalied for 3 days. I'm good now though, thanks for asking. Though if it wasnt for air conditioning i'd probably be dead lol

I had a heat stroke a few days back Gaius and remained hospitalied for 3 days. I'm good now though, thanks for asking. Though if it wasnt for air conditioning i'd probably be dead lol

Alhamdulillah, so glad to hear that you are alive. Now, I feel ashamed for complaining about the heat in the house. I went without air conditioning for a few days,just got air conditioning today.

(salam)

When this heat wave was on the American news Monday, I was wondering how starlight was doing.

Not too happily, I gather.

Maybe this suggestion will work, starlight. You probably know engineers and maybe workmen who can duplicate the technology that was put  in New York skys[Edited Out]ers in the 1920s.

It is water based, ice forming air-conditioning. Last I read, the original equipment is still working. This was developed before post-WW2 electric air-conditioning.

As I remember, ice is formed in tanks and then air is blown over the tanks and ducted throughout the building.

Someone should be able to find enough info to build some for mosques, schools, cooling-centers and so-on, inshallah.

The main room should have some type of fan, but if the electricity is off, the fans won't work. During a heat wave, it is recommended to extend a clothes line or rope from one side of the room to another and drape a damp piece of fabric over it so that a breeze from the fan or open windows will blow through the damp cloth and cool off the room. InshaAllah.

Alhamdulillah, so glad to hear that you are alive. Now, I feel ashamed for complaining about the heat in the house. I went without air conditioning for a few days,just got air conditioning today.

lol @ alive. yeah..theyre saying it MIGHT rain today. that's good but there's a downside to it too - with rains our electricity system gets even worst. it rained for about 5-10 minutes yesterday and our power was cut off for 2 hours straight - and then again from 12 midnight till about 5:30 in the morning :(

(salam)

When this heat wave was on the American news Monday, I was wondering how starlight was doing.

Not too happily, I gather.

thank you, I am alive and well alhumdollilah  :) . I live on the other side of the country where even though temperatures are higher but the weather isn't humid like karachi so we haven't had so many deaths.The past few days were tough but we have airconditioning, I feel sorry for the people who can't even afford cool clean drinking water :( 

know engineers and maybe workmen who can duplicate the technology that was put  in New York skys[Edited Out]ers in the 1920s.

It is water based, ice forming air-conditioning. Last I read, the original equipment is still working. This was developed before post-WW2 electric air-conditioning.

As I remember, ice is formed in tanks and then air is blown over the tanks and ducted throughout the building.

Someone should be able to find enough info to build some for mosques, schools, cooling-centers and so-on, inshallah.

Referred to Darth vader  :D

We have air conditioners in Pakistan, the problem is electricity... there is a huge shortage and its very expensive so only the very rich can afford to run the air conditioners 24 x 7 

The main room should have some type of fan, but if the electricity is off, the fans won't work. During a heat wave, it is recommended to extend a clothes line or rope from one side of the room to another and drape a damp piece of fabric over it so that a breeze from the fan or open windows will blow through the damp cloth and cool off the room. InshaAllah.

Thank you sis hameedah for the great suggestion :D

thank you, I am alive and well alhumdollilah   :) . I live on the other side of the country where even though temperatures are higher but the weather isn't humid like karachi so we haven't had so many deaths.The past few days were tough but we have airconditioning, I feel sorry for the people who can't even afford cool clean drinking water :(

know engineers and maybe workmen who can duplicate the technology that was put  in New York skys[Edited Out]ers in the 1920s.

Referred to Darth vader   :D

We have air conditioners in Pakistan, the problem is electricity... there is a huge shortage and its very expensive so only the very rich can afford to run the air conditioners 24 x 7 

Thank you sis hameedah for the great suggestion :D

i can't wait to see my electricity bill this month. im mentally prepared for a mini heart attack LOL

(salam)

ref my post #7  Sorry folks, I forgot the "computer-god's software would skys[edit out] the word "sky.scr.apers"

I know Pakistan and India have real electrical supply problems, and most people cannot afford to buy an air conditioner. That is why I -inshallah- remember that article and researching I did.

Afwan.

apofomysback:  That's the 'thing' about electric bills  --they can be real shockers.  :P

Edited by hasanhh

^ iranian villages are paradise unless you're super poor. If you have just a patch of land (enough to feed your family) it's pretty much a luxury lifestyle. Work a couple hours a day (in fact I know farmers who do their work at night to avoid the sun), sleep the rest. Go to the basement during ramadan. Sleep in the park in the summer time.

I wish they realized they live in paradise.

Referred to Darth vader   :D

Thermal/Solar air conditioner is available for sale.  http://www.atlantissolar.com/aircon1.html

It employs the simple and monumentally efficient refrigeration process. Basically, the large outdoor unit consisting of thermally conducting material (arrays of large copper pipes and glass tubes to catch sun rays) and it is full of calcium chloride or some such salt and ammonia in aqueous form. The salt keeps the ammonia (ammonia is the oldest refrigerant gas and still used at industrial scales). When the tube arrays get hot, ammonia turns to gas and flows to the indoor unit. At the indoor unit there is the mechanical contraption which forces it through a jet, and due to the conventional adiabatic change just like in any refrigeration process, cooling is created and the condenser pipes (also of copper) through which the ammonia is passed are cooled. Now, a simple fan powered with a little electricity (in Atlantis version of thermal AC) blows air at the condenser of the indoor unit and this is air conditioned, very cool air. Atlantis was selling a unit for 80000 PKR last time I checked. Bit high, yes, but vastly more reliable than a DIY (do-it-yourself) version imo. If anyone wants to DIY this, then there are also PDFs of the whole process floating on the interwebz.

Today was my first day in my life working outdoors in the sun for extended periods of time whilst fasting. And I must say: it's a whole different ballgame. It's nothing like the soosooli fasting I've become accustomed to.

Thanks God I realized I am way far from my city of residence and as of now this is not my regular job so I was obliged to break my fast. If I didn't have that water and gatorade then your friend jackson would have probably been hospitalized for heat stroke by now.

People in Pakistan and Iraq are superhuman. I am worried they will eventually enslave the whole world using the superstrength they have gained from fasting in ridonkulous heat sans air conditioner.

Salam alaikum

what a very sad Ramadan. the weather this year 2015 is like never before honestly and I am living in the states and already it is super hot, and nothing like last year's Ramadan. I know how these brave people must have felt. May Allah (sw) have mercy on their souls Inshallah.

This only works if there is a breeze and the air isn't too humid.

Keep safe, friends. Break your fast if you start to feel ill. Please.

Today was my first day in my life working outdoors in the sun for extended periods of time whilst fasting. And I must say: it's a whole different ballgame. It's nothing like the soosooli fasting I've become accustomed to. Thanks God I realized I am way far from my city of residence and as of now this is not my regular job so I was obliged to break my fast. If I didn't have that water and gatorade then your friend jackson would have probably been hospitalized for heat stroke by now. People in Pakistan and Iraq are superhuman. I am worried they will eventually enslave the whole world using the superstrength they have gained from fasting in ridonkulous heat sans air conditioner.

:D ^  have no fear brother  .... As long as the People of Pakistan are under the yokes of tryants namely Zardari and Sharif and their masters there is no way they can think of anything other than mere existence.

on a happier note, the weather outside is lovely....cloudy with a breeze..... and rain forecasts all over Pakistan.

Thank you for all your duas :)

:D ^  have no fear brother  .... As long as the People of Pakistan are under the yokes of tryants namely Zardari and Sharif and their masters there is no way they can think of anything other than mere existence.

on a happier note, the weather outside is lovely....cloudy with a breeze..... and rain forecasts all over Pakistan.

Thank you for all your duas :)

lovely weather? rain forecasts? you've got to be kidding - its a scorching sun in Karachi  :cry:

i need water  :cry:

Good for you anaammar !

This is sad news, people should simply break up the fast when they feel unwell.

Sun strokes and sun burns are common among those working long hours under the sun even when they are not fasting and even with good electricity .

Some countries like uae changed the working hours late in evening or at night. Some prefer early morning hours. I think there is an international law against working under extreme temp like 46C.

As bradar pointed out, for indoors , there is the genius of traditional eastern architecture that is largely abandoned. If you walked inside an old forte or castle or something, you will notice that it's temp is acceptable with breeze coming from somewhere . No air conditioning machines there but an air conditioning system .

May Allah give us the strength to pass this Ramadan safely with our loved ones around us, and may Allah give the families of these men and women the patience .

Lahore's weather is so much better right now, feels like a blessing. 

update : its around 3:30 pm and the rain have started along with cool breeze.

i'm . so. jealous.

here its very sunny. and we had a 2 hour power cut  :cry:

There is something here in the US they call Swamp coolers, I don't know if they sell them in PAkistan.

They are a dehumidifier with a small air conditioner. They don't work as well as a regular air conditioner, 

but they use a lot less electricity. 

Also putting a towel in a bucket of ice water, then ringing out the towel and putting it on your head.

It looks a little funny but it will probably keep you from getting heat stroke. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

^ yes brother, we have them in Pakistan.....they are widely used all over Pakistan except karachi.Karachi is very humid and swamp coolers won't work there........

the problem is when the heat is coupled with humidity..... Body's heat loss mechanisms fail quickly when the atmosphere is humid.. that's the reason of so many deaths in karachi even though the temperatures there weren't the highest.

Dont they have these deep basements like they do in old villages in iran? Its genius, its like a fridge down there.

There used to be before electricity and cooling equipment became common. Now it's too expensive to build one if you're not going to use it for much of the time. Since electricity crisis has begun people old enough to remember have been reminiscing about old days. I remember in scorching summers we used to go down to the basement and sleep there, without fans or anything. Others my generation didn't have the experience because basements had been out of fashion long before. Our house (a haveli of built by my great-great-grandfather) was 120 years old at that time. Now it's been demolished.

^ yes brother, we have them in Pakistan.....they are widely used all over Pakistan except karachi.Karachi is very humid and swamp coolers won't work there........

the problem is when the heat is coupled with humidity..... Body's heat loss mechanisms fail quickly when the atmosphere is humid.. that's the reason of so many deaths in karachi even though the temperatures there weren't the highest.

Yes, Karachi went up to 45C. In my hometown temps were 49C for almost a week but hardly any death was reported. Karachi is very humid and heat+humidity kills. Where I am from it's dry and hot which is manageable with little care.

Heatwave deaths have crossed 1000 :(

They are blaming the deaths on electricity shortages. While in part this may account for some but it's silly to blame all the deaths on electricity outages alone. Most have died on the streets, who wouldn't know if there's electricity in the lines or not. Beggars, fruits and veg cart wallas, labourers in road and building constructions - of which there are always hundreds of them outside at any given time. And let's suppose if they had been fasting...you get the picture.

Edited by Marbles

There used to be before electricity and cooling equipment became common. Now it's too expensive to build one if you're not going to use it for much of the time. Since electricity crisis has begun people old enough to remember have been reminiscing about old days. I remember in scorching summers we used to go down to the basement and sleep there, without fans or anything. Others my generation didn't have the experience because basements had been out of fashion long before. Our house (a haveli of built by my great-great-grandfather) was 120 years old at that time. Now it's been demolished.

Yes, Karachi went up to 45C. In my hometown temps were 49C for almost a week but hardly any death was reported. Karachi is very humid and heat+humidity kills. Where I am from it's dry and hot which is manageable with little care.

Heatwave deaths have crossed 1000 :(

They are blaming the deaths on electricity shortages. While in part this may account for some but it's silly to blame all the deaths on electricity outages alone. Most have died on the streets, who wouldn't know if there's electricity in the lines or not. Beggars, fruits and veg cart wallas, labourers in road and building constructions - of which there are always hundreds of them outside at any given time. And let's suppose if they had been fasting...you get the picture.

Do beggars have choice whether or not to break their fast?

During hajj, many got sun stroke due to heat and walking long hours under sun. People were not fasting, they drink water every few mints but that did not prevent the stroke.

It doesn't matter how much you take water, under the sun , the survival is not guaranteed .

But beggars and other labour workers may not be fit for hunger plus dehydration. Other comorbidities should be considered : were they all young or all old people , were they fit physically or had conditions like heart illnesses or undiagnosed diabetes.

Were they brought to hospital ? How long did it take ?

May Allah accept them as martyrs, less they take from this world and more burden they left us with.

Why doesn't the government at least declare an emergency and shut down the schools, businesses, and let people go somewhere where it is cool, like the mountains until the heat wave passes. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

Do beggars have choice whether or not to break their fast?

During hajj, many got sun stroke due to heat and walking long hours under sun. People were not fasting, they drink water every few mints but that did not prevent the stroke.

It doesn't matter how much you take water, under the sun , the survival is not guaranteed .

But beggars and other labour workers may not be fit for hunger plus dehydration. Other comorbidities should be considered : were they all young or all old people , were they fit physically or had conditions like heart illnesses or undiagnosed diabetes.

Were they brought to hospital ? How long did it take ?

May Allah accept them as martyrs, less they take from this world and more burden they left us with.

Most dead were middle aged or old. 40 onwards. Many of them had other complications. Some babies died too. The common factor is too much exposure to sun in high temperatures.

I really think anyone who is compelled to work outside in the scorching sun to earn his bread should be excused from fasting. It's easy way to die.

Why doesn't the government at least declare an emergency and shut down the schools, businesses, and let people go somewhere where it is cool, like the mountains until the heat wave passes. 

Schools are shut already but businesses are not. Going to the mountains is impractical as they are thousands of kilometres away, right up in the north and Karachi is deep down in the south. And those who are dying are poor destitute who wouldn't be able to afford the travel anyway. And at home they aren't able to afford the cooling machines. The govt could have anticipated the heatwave and announced early emergency and taken measures for those working outside in the sun. A lot could be done but as usual nothing was done. Now they have declared the emergency when a thousand people have already perished.