Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ayatullah Shaheed Mutahari R.a "only Allah"

Rate this topic

In the name of Allah, i join no-one beside his name!

A beautiful clip from Ayatullah Shaheed Mutahari r.a, one of our greatest thinkers and scholars of the 20th century, a man who was taught by Imam Khomeini r.a whom the imam himself considered his own fruit. A man widely praised and respected whose books are published and distributed world wide. A man whom every  shia in search of knowledge and  who has the means and who has access should endevour to make familiar to themselves his works:

Edited by Tawheed313

• Veteran Member

But he never said you can't say Ya 'Ali, only that you can't say Bismi 'Ali :shifty:

Although I'm sure that as an irfanist, the shahid was probably a big advocate of 'tawassul'.

You should read his book: 'Ashura - Misrepresentations and Distortions, it's a great little book, it does show that he was a seeker of truth rather than a man who pandered to the will of the masses, may Allah be pleased with him.

http://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/vol13-no3/ashura-misrepresentations-distortions-part-1-mutahhari

Edited by Ali_Hussain

But he never said you can't say Ya 'Ali, only that you can't say Bismi 'Ali :shifty:

Although I'm sure that as an irfanist, the shahid was probably a big advocate of 'tawassul'.

You should read his book: 'Ashura - Misrepresentations and Distortions, it's a great little book, it does show that he was a seeker of truth rather than a man who pandered to the will of the masses, may Allah be pleased with him.

http://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/vol13-no3/ashura-misrepresentations-distortions-part-1-mutahhari

Dear brother,

I understand he is not arguing against Ya Ali, i posted the video based on what it was - not adding anything with the name of Allah swt.  Even a slight appreciation of this in our communities today so we do not trangress it for me is worthy of spreading it.

Even i have no qualms with saying ya muhammed, or ya ali. I just don't ask them for forgiveness or ask them to grant me health or a baby etc. My heart is better placed asking the creator , rather than the created.

I have read parts of other books of his, such as 'Man and the universe', where he gives details to views around issues such as this, but i need to do more reading in that respect.

Here: http://www.al-islam.org/man-and-universe-ayatullah-murtadha-mutahhari/chapter-11-degrees-monotheism#iii-unity-work-Allah

I have also read the book you have kindly posted, it is an amazing book and we need more scholars to speak out against innovations. Here is a video i made, and if you look towards the end with the Fatwa's, you will see an amazing eloquent and bold statement he makes against the shia's today who self-mutilate and anihilate the image of our madhab.

Edited by Tawheed313

Tawheed bro, you are really passionate about this not saying "Ya Ali" thing it seems. Why are you pushing it so hard?

Dear brother repenter,

I have no qualms or problems against saying Ya Ali, or Ya Muhammed. These pious servants of Allah swt are arguably two of his best servants and creation among what we know, and are to be obeyed without question. They i believe, if Allah swt permits, have the power to intercede for us, they are our masters.

However, the video i posted was about something else, and not the whole ya ali madad - different to ya ali- topic. Its simply the great scholar r.a saying not to add anyone with the name of Allah, (so not the ya ali madad) debate, but a different issue altogether, i felt was beautifully put because at times, certain shia's seem to blend the lines between the imams a.s and Allah swt.

The reason why i do not myself directly ask an Imam a.s to grant me health, wealth, or children is because there are no authentic hadiths in our madhab where our imams a.s tell us to do so. This is also verified by many of our most knowledgable users here in rijal and hadith who testify to this.

I ask Allah swt by his mercy and through them  -rather than to them, because i personally see dua as a means to cultivate my relationship with Allah swt. After studying the traditions of our imams a.s i see they ask us to address only Allah swt, to cultivate a relationship only with him. So i say O Allah, the glorious, the one who knows the secrets of a mans heart, i ask you through your mercy and through those whom you permit to intercede, help me in so and so.

I think to myself, if there were a storm and i were in danger, i may shout help from those i live near or the rescue team - but this is in the corporeal world. Who would i however, ultimately scream to and pray to for divine help? I think to myself, the first name that would come out of my mouth would be YA Allah help me. However, the tragedy is there are shias today, and you may be shocked, who who the first name you hear mentioned in their mouths would actually be Imam Ali a.s.

The reason i push it so hard because it is an error we have made as a community. We see this in some ulema actually justifying tatbir, and the others being vehemently against it and so on. I respect all our Ulema , but i vehemently support those who oppose it, while respecting the ones i disagree with.

Tawassul is a fact in my view, but the differences lay in how extreme we go, how we do it etc I don't consider it shirk to say Ya Ali Madad with the right intention, i only withhold from doing it out of caution, and feel there are far better ways of performing tawassul to Allah swt.

This all isn't part of the original topic, it seems brother Ali Hussain misunderstood why i posted this(understandably).

Edited by Tawheed313