Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
kbsquare

Fasting And Medication.

Rate this topic

(salam)

My question is concerning medication and fasting. I have an attention disorder so I'm taking medication for that. Is it permissible for me to take my medication while fasting without my fast being invalidated? My medication has no nutritional value and neither will satisfy my hunger or quench my thrist but it is important for my day to day functionality. Thank you.

Edited by kbsquare

As I understand it, if you require medication throughout the day you can not fast. You must make up the missed fasts when you are off the medication.

As I understand it, if you require medication throughout the day you can not fast. You must make up the missed fasts when you are off the medication.

I'm not gonna do that I'd rather suffer through it.

Injections are ok.

I don't think my medication comes in the form of injections.l, I'll check with my doc.

I follow ayatollah sistani. Thank you for all the replies.

Edited by kbsquare

(salam)

My question is concerning medication and fasting. I have an attention disorder so I'm taking medication for that. Is it permissible for me to take my medication while fasting without my fast being invalidated? My medication has no nutritional value and neither will satisfy my hunger or quench my thrist but it is important for my day to day functionality. Thank you.

Most ADHD medicines are the type which last for an extended period of time. You can take them in the morning. 

Not sure how long the meds last for you but you should be able to get between 9 -12 hours of efficacy out of most normal ADHD meds. 

Which medicine are you taking ? You can also ask your Dr. to prescribe the extended release version of it. All you would need to do is mention that you are fasting for Ramadan and that you being your fast early in the morning. 

Most ADHD medicines are the type which last for an extended period of time. You can take them in the morning. 

Not sure how long the meds last for you but you should be able to get between 9 -12 hours of efficacy out of most normal ADHD meds. 

Which medicine are you taking ? You can also ask your Dr. to prescribe the extended release version of it. All you would need to do is mention that you are fasting for Ramadan and that you being your fast early in the morning. 

I am on the extended release.  For me it lasts 8 hours, if I take it at the end of sahoor time (roughly 3:30 am) it will only lasts till about 11:30am-noonish, thats not enough.  I dont know....

I am on the extended release. For me it lasts 8 hours, if I take it at the end of sahoor time (roughly 3:30 am) it will only lasts till about 11:30am-noonish, thats not enough. I dont know....

Explain to your doctor that you want to be able to fast, and see if your dosage can be adjusted.