Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
liightseekeer

Dumb Question But Serious

Rate this topic

Sallam,

So a question that just arose in mind...it may sound dumb. But I have no doubt that I NEED to worship Allah, and he doesn't NEED me to.

Allah says in the Quran says "I didn't create humans and Jin, only to worship."

But he doesn't need our worship, so why did he create us? Is it only out of his infinite mercy, that's it?

Sallam,

So a question that just arose in mind...it may sound dumb. But I have no doubt that I NEED to worship Allah, and he doesn't NEED me to.

Allah says in the Quran says "I didn't create humans and Jin, only to worship."

But he doesn't need our worship, so why did he create us? Is it only out of his infinite mercy, that's it?

Word for worship in arabic is ibadah. The root word of Ibadah is ABD. Abd means obedience not worship.

A lot of people paint worship as some sort of hindu ritual but Ibadah means OBEDIENCE. Being obedient not worshipping. And Allah has created ahle bayt (as) as a means to be obedient to him.

(bismillah)

Brother, Allāh (عز و جل), the originator does not need anything, nor does he lack in anything. Your question in itself is invalid, since your implying that "If Allāh (عز و جل) created X (something), then he must have a need for that X (something)", and this idea is invalid. Whether Allāh (عز و جل) created something or not, it has no relation to his "needs", since he has no "needs" initially. He is the rich (الغني), and the enricher (المغني), and we are the ones in need (al-Muḥtājūn) of him. The verse [56] your quoting in Surat Adh-Dhāriyāt (The Winnowing Winds:سورة الذاريات) is sufficiently clear:

وَمَا خَلَقْتُ الْجِنَّ وَالْإِنسَ إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُونِ

"And I have not created the Jinn and Ins (Mankind) except that they worship (Me)"

Here is a Muwathaq (reliable) ḥadīth that explains this verse, mentioned in al-Ṣadūq Ilal al-Sharāah, Chapter 9, titled "The reason He created creation, and the difference in their condition (علة خلق الخلق واختلاف أحوالهم):

حدثنا محمد بن موسى بن المتوكل رضي الله عنه قال: حدثنا علي بن الحسين السعد آبادي عن أحمد بن أبي عبد الله البرقي عن الحسن بن علي بن فضال عن ثعلبة بن ميمون عن جميل بن دراج عن أبي عبد الله " ع " قال: سألته عن قول الله عز وجل: (وما خلقت الجن والإنس إلا ليعبدون) قال: خلقهم للعبادة قلت: خاصة أم عامة؟ قال: لا، بل عامة.

12Told us Muḥammad b. Musā al-Mutawakil [r.a.] said: told us Alī b al-Hussain al-Saad Ābādī, from Ahmad b. Abī `Abd Allāh al-Barqī, from al-Hasan b. Alī b. al-Faḍl, from Tha`labah b. Maymūn, from Jamīl b. Darāj, from Abī `Abd Allāh (عليه‌ السلام), said: I asked him [a.s] about the words of Allāh the almighty and exalted: "And I have not created the Jinn and Ins (Mankind) except that they worship (Me)"[51:56], so he (عليه السلام) said: ‘He created them for worship (`ibādah)’, I (the narrator) said: ‘Specifically or generally?’ He (عليه السلام) said: “No, rather generally”.

Source:

• al-Ṣadūq ‘Ilal al-Sharā‘ah, Chapter 9, N. 12, pg. 14.

Wa`asalam

Edited by Jaafar Al-Shibli

Salam brother,

This is a very common question. Often times it is discussed in early lessons of either aqaed or akhlaq and spirituality if you are attending summer school or local hawza.

I can't recall a specific book in which this question was explained properly but I found this had it in ask the shiekh site :

t has been narrated from Imam Hussain (a.s) that: “Allah has created Man in order to know him. When he knows God, he will worship him. When he worships God (properly and with knowledge), he will not worship any one else other than God.”

This hadith looks like another very weak daif non the less very popular one

"I was a hidden treasure, and I wished to be known, so I created a creation (mankind), then made Myself known to them, and they recognised Me."

Some of these weak hadiths are proper hadiths being paraphrased but the edited version gets more popularity than the original version

That hadith plus the verse

لا يسأل عما يفعل و هم يسألون

Anbiya 23.

Sahih International

He is not questioned about what He does, but they will be questioned.

The above with some reflection had answered my question. I hope I was of help to you.

When one ask what is God’s goal of creating this world and human?

This question has two meaning:

1. What is God’s aim as creator, Does God has any special goal or not?
  2.  Does God determine any Goal for creatures?

Close attention to the following example can answer the first question, if we look to ourselves, we as human being can see, hear, smell, think, we look for perfection and knowledge, if one asks us why you see, Hear and….?, we will answer because we are human, God equipped us with different power and embedded different ability in our nature. in the same way we can answer the first question , because, God is all-power, all - knowing  and all-hearing ,he created this astonishing universe.

Regarding the second question, we can say, perfection is the main Goal of human creation and all creatures , we can reach to high level of perfection through worshiping the almighty God   

Worshiping Allah swt is a responsibility for us all, according to the ayat you have given above. Obedience itself is a worship, doing things that Allah declared Halal and abstaining from things Allah swt declared Haram is worship. Obedience of the command of Allah itself is a worship. In other sense, we are all being tested and monitored through acts of obedience, Us worshiping Allah does not benefit Allah but it is for our own good.