Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

This is blowing up on twitter. We should add our names to those who are calling for United Airlines to take meaningful action regarding this, and not just some corporate PR nonsense. 

https://twitter.com/hashtag/unitedfortahera?src=hash&vertical=default&f=tweets

What happens when you ask for an unopened can of Diet Coke on an airplane? If you’re a Muslim woman, according to one report, you don’t get served.

And the man sitting next to you gets an unopened can of beer just fine.

Tahera Ahmad, a Muslim chaplain at Chicago’s Northwestern University, documented these allegations from onboard a United Airlines flight this weekend in an episode that almost immediately went viral – and led to pledges to boycott the airline.

On her Facebook page, Ahmad claimed a flight attendant was “clearly discriminating against me” after she asked for an unopened of soda for hygienic reasons and says was told, “Well, I’m sorry. I just can’t give you an unopened can, so no Diet Coke for you.”

Ahmad said her fellow passengers were of no help: “you Moslem, you need to shut the F** up,” Ahmad said, in the Facebook post, that she was told by another male passenger across the aisle. “[y]es you know you would use it as a WEAPON, so shut the F** up.”When the man next to her allegedly got an unopened beer can from the in-flight service, Ahmad said she was told something even more inflammatory: “We are unauthorized to give unopened cans to people, because they may use it as a WEAPON on the plane.”

Ahmad did not respond to multiple requests for comment, but Muslim activists took to social media to call the alleged incident an “inexcusable” act of bigotry as other social media users said they would boycott United Airlines based on what they interpreted as open discrimination.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/30/diet-coke-islamophobia-united-airlines

This is her own account. The air hostess did open the man's can of beer.

CGPDdiZUcAAYQZ_.jpg

Is it possible this is being blown out of proportion? 

Only one man yelled at her which is terrible, and the other passengers should have had her back. It was a humiliating and unfortunate event but I don't think this is worth boycotting an airline about.  :donno:

If United Airlines is willing to take the necessary steps to prevent this from happening in the future, then I don't think we should boycott them. But up to now, they haven't done anything, aside from some half hearted PR attempt. The flight attendant who did this is still working for them, and has not even been disciplined, from what I know. What that means to me is that United Airlines agrees with her actions. Well have to wait and see what happens. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

The irony is she was going on a conference to promote  peace between Israelis and Palestinians, and got humiliated and insulted  by the very same people that don't want peace and support Israel.   

Was it because of her headscarf? Muslim women should travel with their husbands or in groups where at least some men are there and not all alone. Not that a man is her bodyguard but because worse things can happen. This is how society was 5000 years ago in China and still is in North America, even with or despite of feminism and everything. The worst discriminators against women happen to be bad women themselves. It is unfortunate but a fact.

Edited by lover