Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
liightseekeer

The Names Of The Imams

Rate this topic

Sallam,

As we know the Hadith of the prophet (as) when Imam Hussain (as) was born they asked Imam Ali (as), what will he name him, he said it's up to the prophet (as), and when the prophet was asked, he said it was up to Allah. And I've heard multiply scholars/lecturers say that Allah gives the names of the Imams and Prophet.

But in this hadith by Mufadhil Ibna Umar narrates that when Imam Jafar Al-sadiq's wife Hamida was giving birth, he went to her...and when he came back to his companions he said "Allah has gifted me with a son that resembles Nabi Musa, so I shall name him Musa."

As far as I understand the Imam (as) named his son, I don't understand what the deal is here. Anyone have a reasonable answer? 

Edited by liightseekeer

Sallam,

As we know the Hadith of the prophet (as) when Imam Hussain (as) was born they asked Imam Ali (as), what will he name him, he said it's up to the prophet (as), and when the prophet was asked, he said it was up to Allah. And I've heard multiply scholars/lecturers say that Allah gives the names of the Imams and Prophet.

But in this hadith by Mufadhil Ibna Umar narrates that when Imam Jafar Al-sadiq's wife Hamida was giving birth, he went to her...and when he came back to his companions he said "Allah has gifted me with a son that resembles Nabi Musa, so I shall name him Musa."

As far as I understand the Imam (as) named his son, I don't understand what the deal is here. Anyone have a reasonable answer? 

(salam)

This is an interesting question.  I don't see a contradiction there.  Could not Allah (s w t) make the Imam (AS)'s son resemble Nabi Musa (AS)?  If the Imams (AS) and the Prophets (AS) are given knowledge by Allah's permission, then if the Imam (AS)'s son was made to resemble Musa, has not Allah (s w t) in effect named the Imam's son?

As I always like to remind: I am the least in knowledge among you all and Allahu'alim.

R

Sallam

Salam,

Can you provide a source for this hadith?

Sign in to follow this