Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mina

Moderately Religious?

Rate this topic

Salam

I hope everyone is doing fine.

I'd like to know what 'moderately religious' means.What do you think?

Wa alaikum salaam!

I always take that to either indicate that one is lax in their following of their religious obligations, or the more likely: yes I am Muslim, but don't worry, I won't hurt you.

That reasoning makes me so sad because when we use phrases like "moderately religious" to affirm our being Muslims but not associate ourselves with extremists suggests that extremism is inherent in Islam; which of course it is not.  The inevitable but unintended consequence of that statement is that more religious people are extremists (therefore Islam is an extremist faith).

Just my 2 pennies...

(wasalam)

R

I share the views of reisiger and notme:

There is the realistic approach of brother reisiger, i.e. moderately religious is another word for a defensive and weak attitude towards all the aggression against Muslims and Islam, an aggressions that comes from the Imperialists as well as from the extremists.

But there is also an optimistic approach, which means that we should not judge others while always being imperfect.

The first approach is the one we should have in talking about the general situation, the second may be recommended in various situations when we are in direct contact with our Muslim brothers and sisters.

Like saying " sweet sugar "

But for lack of a better word sometimes it can be used in opposition to Extremist Muslim .

Edited by kamyar

Yes,that's why I have difficulties with that word.And if I say I'm moderate,then people would laugh at me and say no you're conservative..that's true probably. So does moderate mean less religious (whatever that means) to the ones who would label them as moderately religious?

@Kamyar,like the "moderate rebels"?

Edited by mina313

I share the views of reisiger and notme:

There is the realistic approach of brother reisiger, i.e. moderately religious is another word for a defensive and weak attitude towards all the aggression against Muslims and Islam, an aggressions that comes from the Imperialists as well as from the extremists.

But there is also an optimistic approach, which means that we should not judge others while always being imperfect.

The first approach is the one we should have in talking about the general situation, the second may be recommended in various situations when we are in direct contact with our Muslim brothers and sisters.

(salam)

I'm so glad you put those two points together Brother.  When I read Sister Notme's post, I immediately chastised myself for taking a negative/defensive position about it.  My answer was incomplete and unbalanced.  Although my answer may have been right under certain circumstances, it is not correct under all.  I only considered one side and that was the failure of my thought process.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and for keeping me honest! :)

(wasalam)

R

Actually Islam is religion of moderation in opposition of both Extremism (efrat ) and laxation (tafrit) so a true Muslim would be a Moderate person therefore moderate is a proper term for a well practicing Muslim .But some people use moderate word by other meanings which are not correct.Some regard it as half religious and half irreligious .in other word practicing some part of Islam and ignoring other parts .some politicians ( we have some of them in Iran ) see it in opposition of being revolutionary which I think revolutionary is opposite to conservative not moderate .

@Kamyar,like the "moderate rebels"?

I have no Idea ,we should ask it from sen John McCain .