Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
shuaybi

Eat Less Live More

Rate this topic

Eat Less Live More

Imagine you are lost in a desert and dying of hunger. As you frantically search for food, you come across a dead decaying animal. Given the dire situation, you realize that is the only source of survival. Would you feast on it or consume just enough to keep yourself alive?

Consider this world just like you would consider dead flesh (carrion). Take only that much (minimal) that suffices for your needs.

- Imam Hasan (peace be upon him)

The above saying of Imam Hasan is a guiding philosophy that applies to all aspects of life. [...]

-- Lost Humanity Blog

Its not specifically about eating less rather the hadith tells us to practice Qena'at. To take all things of this world only as much as sufficient (minimal), and not more. And this practice "Qena'at" is forgotten and perhaps 1 or 2% of all believers alive today would practice it. Ahmadinejad would be an example of such a person if one reads about him. He possesses a few suits of clothes to dress with, a pair or so of shoes, sleeps on a mattress, and does not possess all the extravagance that is the "neeeded" necessities and norm among us all nowadays. This very thing was the matter of contention between Abu Zar Ghifari (ra), an ascetic and king Muawiya and the rest of Bani Umayya.

Muawiya would have a roasted calf each morning and his regular diet included dishes made exclusively from the finest delicacies with ingredients like honey, almonds, milk products and everything the common man could not afford. The whole Bani Umayya was like that, including Waleed bin Uqba and Uthman bin Affan. Same goes for their wardrobe, riding animals, residences, dowries of their wives.

What is sad is that today we who call ourselves believers are just as much if not even more extravagant. Abu Zar (ra) wanted flow of money through charity. We're all selfish capitalists. Each of us is a money generating machine.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Brother DV,

God bless you on this blessed day of Friday. Alhamd'Allah, I believe I have qana3. My dh wanted to add more hours to his work to earn more money and I asked him not to. The money he earns now is sufficient and to see him rested and happy means more to me than making more money, Alhamd'Allah. His time spent with me and his children, has NO comparison to any sort of materialism in this world.

May you find that woman who will cherish you and accept your rizk and live a life of peace and m3rifat of Allah swt.

Shukr lil Allah for giving me my love of my life in this world and Hereafter. I've said this plenty of times before and will reiterate, I love him more than my children.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

(bismillah)

Imagine you are lost in a desert and dying of hunger. As you frantically search for food, you come across a dead decaying animal. Given the dire situation, you realize that is the only source of survival. Would you feast on it or consume just enough to keep yourself alive?

Consider this world just like you would consider dead flesh (carrion). Take only that much (minimal) that suffices for your needs.

– Imam Hasan (peace be upon him)

The above saying of Imam Hasan is a guiding philosophy that applies to all aspects of life. This world is termed as duniya by the Creator, and the wordduniya is derived from the root word adnaa meaning lowly, inferior. This life is inferior relative to the next life which is superior, better and everlasting.

Rather you prefer the life of this world, while the hereafter is better and lasting.

– Noble Qur’an, Surah Aala Verse 17

My friend this world is not a place of feasting and it is not a place for indulgence. It is futile to pursue desires that can never be satisfied. The wise man realizes this and leaves the table spread early consuming the bare minimum necessary and not a morsel more. He consumes only that which is beneficial for his body and abandons that whose sole purpose is to simply satisfy sensual pleasures (taste). The base nature (nafs) is our greatest enemy and the belly is one of it’s chief strongholds. Read more about the nafs in this blog post.

To open the eyes of the soul to the higher level realities we must close the door of our lower insatiable appetite. Not only is over-indulgence the root cause of all diseases and physical ailments but it also shortens our lifespan significantly. In reality, the amazing miraculous biological machinery that the Creator has provided us with runs on very little and runs most efficiently on little. Excess food causes unnecessary strain on the system and damages it permanently.

The one whose consumption of food is little has a healthy stomach and a pure heart. And the one who over-consumes has a sick stomach and a hard heart.

– Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

A person cannot fill a container worse than his stomach [meaning the worst container that one can fill is his/her stomach].

– Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

When a person eats excessively his health declines. When a stomach is filled with even permissible food, the heart becomes blinded to goodness.

– Imam Ali (peace be upon him)

It is enlightening to read the words of the famous 12th century theologian and mystic Al-Ghazali. He lists the following ten benefits of hunger:

1. The first is the purification of the heart, the illumination of the natural disposition and the sharpening of one`s insight.
  2. The second benefit is a softness and purity of the heart, by which it gets ready to attain the delight of intimate discourse with God and to be affected by His remembrance.
  3. The third benefit lies in mortification and abasement, and the removal of exultation, rejoicing and exuberance, which comprise the beginning of rebellion and heedlessness.
  4. The fourth benefit is that one comes never to forget God’s trials and torments, or those who are afflicted by them. For the man satiated is liable to forget those people who are hungry, and to forget hunger itself.
  5. The fifth and greatest benefit lies in the breaking of all one’s desires for sin and in achieving mastery over the soul which commands evil.
  6. The sixth benefit consists in the repulsion of sleep and acquiring the ability to remain awake for long periods. A man who eats his fill will drink abundantly and whoever drinks abundantly will sleep abundantly also.
  7. The seventh benefit is that lengthy acts of worship are made easier.
  8. The eight benefit is the bodily health which results from eating little.
  9. The ninth benefit lies in reduced expenditure. Whoever becomes used to eating little will find a modest income sufficent, whereas a man who is habituated to eating his fill will find that his belly becomes a creditor impossible to shake off, who seizes him by the throat every day saying ‘What will you eat today?’
  10. The tenth benefit is that the aspirant is enabled to put others before himself and to give in charity to the orphans and the poor that which is surplus to his wants.

http://losthumanity.org/