Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
race

Joining Military In The West

Rate this topic

As-salaam mulaikum. Hope all of you are in good health. I live in Canada and I recently graduated from a University. About one year from now, I would like to get military experience and for this I would obviously have to join the military. What are my options taking into consideration the Islamic laws. Does anyone know if its permissible to join the Canadian military. What are the risks, benefits and options.

Guest silasun

(wasalam)

It is not allowed if it involves you committing a haraam action- this is the general ruling, so you would have to look into what the job involves/could involve and see if there is anything haraam there(such as if it involves promoting haraam actions).

As a Muslim you are not allowed to fight under the command of a non Muslim.

I'm not sure that is logical. Would that also mean you can't accept employment with a company owned by a non-Muslim? Convince me.

I'm not sure that is logical. Would that also mean you can't accept employment with a company owned by a non-Muslim? Convince me.

Imagine tomorrow they invade Muslims

Also they are one of the nations allied with the enemies of Muslims and at the same time they have done much cruelty to the native Americans. 

So would you say it is Halal to serve an oppressive nation?

If you believe Canada's political wars are just, then it's ok. I think it's ok, because, Canada doesn't oppress nations through their army. Afghanistan government held Al-Qaeda and deserved the invasion. US in Iraq was on illegal grounds, but Sadam was a tyrant, and if they did to just remove that Tyrant, I would be on their side as oppose to the fabrication of mass weapons of destruction ( I think they gave them so much they didn't expect them to have used them all on Iran).

They are not going to fight Hezbollah or Iran, don't worry. It's your choice. Serving your country is not a bad thing. It's true their foreign policy with regards to Israel and Palestine, as well to Bahrain and Iran is not good, but they don't go kill Palestinians or anything.

Imagine tomorrow they invade Muslims

What makes you think they will invade Muslims?

Salam

This issue has details.

Of course Muslims can communicate with non believers only as long as this communication doesn't include Haram.

The issue of defending the country along with non believers is different from the issue of attacking other country - whether it be a Muslim country or not -.

and finally take this verse into consideration:

وَلَن يَجْعَلَ اللَّـهُ لِلْكَافِرِينَ عَلَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ سَبِيلًا 

and Allah will never provide the faithless any way [to prevail] over the faithful.[4:141, Qarai translation] 

Given the above verse I recommend you not to take orders from non believers.

All governments are/have been oppressive.

That is why our Aimmah have said every government which arises before the Imam is led by Taghut.

Don't join, tomorrow you will be asked about the groups you associate with. We follow our religion and if you join the army you will be promising to serve the nation.

according to ayatollah Sistani:

Q) Can a Muslim join the Police or Armed Forces of a non-Muslim Government?

A) Any trade, business or profession that involved I’anatu ‘Z-Zalama – helping the oppressors is forbidden and considered as one of the Major Sins in Islam. The Qur’an says: “Do not be inclined towards those who are unjust otherwise the Fire of Hell will get you.” (11:13).

So selling any arms, ammunition or apparatus of oppression to an oppressive (non-Muslim or Muslim) Government is absolutely Haraam. Similarly, working for an unjust and oppressive Government in the Departments that are used to oppress the people is Haraam for the followers of Ahlu ‘l-Bayt (a.s.).

Therefore, Muslims who would like to join the Law-Enforcing Agencies should seriously study the system or the Institution in their countries before deciding to join. The question they should ask themselves is: Will I become a tool of oppression of the unjust Government, or will I be a Civil Servant serving the people in the true sense? If the answer to the first part of the question is “yes”, then do not pursue that career; if the answer to the second part of the question is “yes”, then you may accept.

The same would be guide-line for those who would like to participate in the political process of the western democracies. If they are confident that they will serve the people, especially their brethren in faith, then they can participate in the political process. But if they realize that they will become a tool of oppression in an unjust Government, then they have to steer away from that political process.

References: Islamic Laws, Current Legal Issues, Contemporary Legal Rulings in Shi’is Law and A Code of Practice for Muslims in the West of Ayatullah Al-Seestani Dama Dhilluhu.

Business Ethics in Islam by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi.

Questions answered by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi – Ahlul Bayt ‘Aalim Network.

You should join the military if you want to. It's very unlikely that Canada would opress a Muslim nation & Canada is a good state with relatively good governance compared to others.