Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
JayJay

Attending A Cremation

Rate this topic

Guest silasun

Salaam

If it is encouraging a haraam action then it is not allowed.

Edited by silasun

While I'm no scholar and have literally no idea about the fiqh of the question, in response to the above post, while it would be haraam if it is encouraging a haraam act, his attendance is not fundamental to whether or not the person is cremated. The deceased's family will cremate him no matter what and, so, he's not encouraging anything.

Bismillah

When looking at it from a jurisprudential point of view (for this case), before deciding whether or not attending would be considered supporting an act, or even if this was generally allowed, you would have to consider at least the following issues (maybe more?):

If the person is a non-Muslim:

- Are they considered an enemy of Islam or someone Islam has enmity towards?

- What does Islam say about attending the funeral ceremonies or general ceremonies and rituals of other faiths?

If they are Muslim, then it is possible to entertain the idea that attending would be a form of supporting a prohibited act (i do not remember the laws regarding cremation, so going off what others believers have mentioned here) and hence may not be permissible. Unless they are from a madhhab (domination) that allows this, then again we could go back to our first question. 

This is what comes to my simple mind, but i do not have the energy to search for any narrations right now. You may have some luck if you do a search in Wasaa'il al-Shi'ah of Shaykh Hurr Amili.

You're asking this because deep down your own conscience is simply not at ease with the idea whether you should stand by while they not just roast your friend's remains to well done but go all the way and reduce it all to an urn of ashes like a roast forgotten over the fire all night. Whether you would like to know that you are inhaling the fumes by being there. It just doesn't feel right, religions aside, does it. Not to me. Burying a body and hiding it under the earth is also the humane thing to do because that is the right of all the living who will find peace and closure by hiding the remains of one of their own, and its in our nature. While the way in Hindu culture for example I feel its an injustice and a sort of salting the wound of all left behind to witness their dead's face being burnt all the way down, to hear the skull and innards explode, for hours and smell the entire process. Therefore I feel that the OP's question is not an immediate matter to be asked of religion and sharia while the humanity in the heart itself first does not want to be there and abide by such a tormenting thing. Am I wrong to think that there is rather closure and peace in hiding the corpse under the earth as compared to other methods? And where will people stop? Tomorrow someone might want to try having a tiny bit of the carving of their roast to remember the departed, or to feed it to homeless dogs, or something more twisted like that, and who knows what other newer ignorant and heartless methods of disposing of a corpse may come into being in this oblivious world.

You're asking this because deep down your own conscience is simply not at ease with the idea whether you should stand by while they not just roast your friend's remains to well done but go all the way and reduce it all to an urn of ashes like a roast forgotten over the fire all night. Whether you would like to know that you are inhaling the fumes by being there. It just doesn't feel right, religions aside, does it. Not to me. Burying a body and hiding it under the earth is also the humane thing to do because that is the right of all the living who will find peace and closure by hiding the remains of one of their own, and its in our nature. While the way in Hindu culture for example I feel its an injustice and a sort of salting the wound of all left behind to witness their dead's face being burnt all the way down, to hear the skull and innards explode, for hours and smell the entire process. 

really enjoy your straight from the shoulder posts....  :D :D

You're asking this because deep down your own conscience is simply not at ease with the idea whether you should stand by while they not just roast your friend's remains to well done but go all the way and reduce it all to an urn of ashes like a roast forgotten over the fire all night. Whether you would like to know that you are inhaling the fumes by being there. It just doesn't feel right, religions aside, does it. Not to me. Burying a body and hiding it under the earth is also the humane thing to do because that is the right of all the living who will find peace and closure by hiding the remains of one of their own, and its in our nature. While the way in Hindu culture for example I feel its an injustice and a sort of salting the wound of all left behind to witness their dead's face being burnt all the way down, to hear the skull and innards explode, for hours and smell the entire process. Therefore I feel that the OP's question is not an immediate matter to be asked of religion and sharia while the humanity in the heart itself first does not want to be there and abide by such a tormenting thing. Am I wrong to think that there is rather closure and peace in hiding the corpse under the earth as compared to other methods? And where will people stop? Tomorrow someone might want to try having a tiny bit of the carving of their roast to remember the departed, or to feed it to homeless dogs, or something more twisted like that, and who knows what other newer ignorant and heartless methods of disposing of a corpse may come into being in this oblivious world.

While you can make an argument about the smell, there is nothing too pretty about burying someone either. You are putting them down and you know that in a few days, their body will smell just as bad - if not worse - than the smell of their burning flesh, and will be covered in maggots and all manner of creatures, who will rip every last shred of flesh from their bones, leaving behind just the ghastly skeleton, staring back with its empty eyes at all those who dare look beneath the dirt. Not a pretty picture, either.

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra

While you can make an argument about the smell, there is nothing too pretty about burying someone either. You are putting them down and you know that in a few days, their body will smell just as bad - if not worse - than the smell of their burning flesh, and will be covered in maggots and all manner of creatures, who will rip every last shred of flesh from their bones, leaving behind just the ghastly skeleton, staring back with its empty eyes at all those who dare look beneath the dirt. Not a pretty picture, either.

but at least you don't have to see the bodies rot or burn before your own eyes nor do you have to actually smell their burning flesh.....

Cremations in western countries are very different to cremations in some eastern countries. You almost don't smell anything because of how it's set up and the burning is done in a way that you don't actually see the body being burned. It isn't half as horrific in sight as you imagine. 

^ yeah... i know.. the gases released are discharged through and exhaust and its just the ashes go in the urn....

they are even making cremation diamonds and jewellery these days  :squeez: