Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
liightseekeer

Hawza School In The United States Of America?

Rate this topic

Sallam,

I was wondering is there a legit credited Hawza in The U.S?

Otherwise what's a good English spoken Hawza?

Anyone know how good/reputation of Hawza Illmiya of England?

JAK, Sallam.

The two most famous in the UK are the al-Mahdi Institute and The Islamic College in London. The College, however, is structured more like an actual college but, as a result, once you finish your four years there, you get a degree from Middlesex University. The Institute is run a bit more like a Hawza in terms of the structure but, just like a Hawza, there is no external accreditation. Both are obviously populated by scholars who might be more liberal than those you'd find in a Hawza in Iran - which, in my opinion, just exposes you to a variety of opinions and is, thus, beneficial but you might think otherwise.

The two most famous in the UK are the al-Mahdi Institute and The Islamic College in London. The College, however, is structured more like an actual college but, as a result, once you finish your four years there, you get a degree from Middlesex University. The Institute is run a bit more like a Hawza in terms of the structure but, just like a Hawza, there is no external accreditation. Both are obviously populated by scholars who might be more liberal than those you'd find in a Hawza in Iran - which, in my opinion, just exposes you to a variety of opinions and is, thus, beneficial but you might think otherwise.

There is a difference between liberal and what some of the scholars in at least one of the hawzah's you mentioned are.

I studied in Icas for a short time, and have friends in maybe all the hawzaat mentioned, including more. If you are located in the US, i seriously encourage checking out the Chicago hawzah run by Sayyid Sulayman Hasan (and others). Their curriculum is the closest to the hawzaat of the east (although i'm not aware of the windsor Hawzah program or the new one Sayyid Muhammad rizvi is set to start), with a touch of western academia too. In terms of qualifications, Hawzah of England may have two more qualified scholars in terms of number of years spent in hawzah, but the Chicago hawzah has a stronger program. 

I go to Hawza here in England, its awesome and teaching is good too.

Which one? And did you get a four year degree first or did you go straight to Hawza?

Because I'm really thinking of going to Hawza in the fall, but I'm not done with my 4 year yet. Do you recommend I finish then go, or go. Because it is something I really want to do.

Which one? And did you get a four year degree first or did you go straight to Hawza?

Because I'm really thinking of going to Hawza in the fall, but I'm not done with my 4 year yet. Do you recommend I finish then go, or go. Because it is something I really want to do.

I am studying undergraduate Law at university and doing Hawza part time at the same time. I am in my 2nd year of studies in university. 

Its up to you but there is nothing stopping you from joining Hawza now. 

in London

No, I meant which one. Like, the name of the Hawza.

There is a difference between liberal and what some of the scholars in at least one of the hawzah's you mentioned are.

I studied in Icas for a short time, and have friends in maybe all the hawzaat mentioned, including more. If you are located in the US, i seriously encourage checking out the Chicago hawzah run by Sayyid Sulayman Hasan (and others). Their curriculum is the closest to the hawzaat of the east (although i'm not aware of the windsor Hawzah program or the new one Sayyid Muhammad rizvi is set to start), with a touch of western academia too. In terms of qualifications, Hawzah of England may have two more qualified scholars in terms of number of years spent in hawzah, but the Chicago hawzah has a stronger program. 

I didn't say they were liberal. I said they were more liberal - thus less conservative - than the scholars you'd usually find in Iran or Iraq - that neither means that all of the teachers in the two I mentioned are total liberals and nor does it mean that all the scholars in traditional Hawzas are total conservatives, you can look at Ayatollah Jannati and Ayatollah Sanaei who are products of the traditional Hawza but whose rulings could be considered relatively more liberal. I'm not talking in absolute titles but, rather, in terms of a scale.

I didn't say they were liberal. I said they were more liberal - thus less conservative - than the scholars you'd usually find in Iran or Iraq - that neither means that all of the teachers in the two I mentioned are total liberals and nor does it mean that all the scholars in traditional Hawzas are total conservatives, you can look at Ayatollah Jannati and Ayatollah Sanaei who are products of the traditional Hawza but whose rulings could be considered relatively more liberal. I'm not talking in absolute titles but, rather, in terms of a scale.

You completely missed my point. The scholars in one of those hawzaat are way passed the mark of liberal when it comes to extrapolation of Islamic law, and their method of istinbaat resembles nothing of the other long standing traditional seminaries of the Shiite. Both in the realm of Fiqh and in Belief. I was in no way trying to defend them اعوذ بالله من ذلك.

Edited by Al-Englisi

You completely missed my point. The scholars in one of those hawzaat are way passed the mark of liberal when it comes to extrapolation of Islamic law and their method of istinbaat resembles nothing of the other traditional and long standing seminaries of the Shiite. Both in the realm of Fiqh and in Belief. I was in no way trying to defend them اعوذ بالله من ذلك.

Ah. You meant that they are too liberal.