Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
IQRA07

I Need Clarification About Imamate.

Rate this topic

Please provide a full and comprehensive list, according to your madhab, of the following:

1. The reasons for the existence of an Imamate

2. The rights and duties of an Imam.

3. How the Imams were chosen and by whom

I am asking for a full and comprehensive list because I keep getting different answers depending upon what conversation I am having. This is not acceptable. ......

if you keep getting different answers is because you seek an answer from different people, and not the actual scholars themselves. Obviously you will get the same responses on a forum, with people with different ideologies. I suggest searching these questions on Al-Islam.org and Islamquest.net/en

Edited by Ethics

You must not expect same answer for theoretical question such as this. Different answers doesn't necessarily meam contradiction but may also mean that subject/theory is multi layered and has depth.

Edited by abbas110

Oh come on. The Imamate should be a pretty basic concept. There is no reason for me to get contradictory answers.

The duties and rights of an Imam do not change.

The duties of Imams AS have always been to guard Islam and protect the religion from people who would mislead society.

What kind of answers have you gotten thus far?

It's a pretty straightforward, logical, simple concept. It's not hard to understand once you compared it with the alternative. Just ask yourself this question whenever you wonder why Imamate exists: 'Why not?'

Edited by Neptuncurse

What kind of answers have you gotten thus far?

It's a pretty straightforward, logical, simple concept. It's not hard to understand once you compared it with the alternative. Just ask yourself this question whenever you wonder why Imamate exists: 'Why not?'

The answer is that Muhammad (saws) was both the Prophet and the head of state. So it became necessary after he died to have someone who could explai Qur'an, be an example.of how to live it, issue rulings on aqidah and fiqh, negotiate treaties, deal with infrastructure, decide on war and peace, appoint regional government , collect taxes and be a moral leader.

As far as I know I will there have only been two Imams(as) from the 12er line who have actually done all of these things and those are Ali (as) and Hassan (as).

163–5. Muhammad ibn Yahyã (–) Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn ‘Isã (–) al-Hasan ibn Mahbũb (–) Mu‘ãwiyah ibn Wahb as saying: "I have heard Abu ‘Abdillãh (p. b. u. h.) saying that

The Messenger of Allãh (p.b.u.h.a.h.p.) said:'For each and every innovation (in Islam) which deceives the very faith, there will be after my death, a sentinel and a guide (Imãm) from my progeny, being in charge of the belief to challenge it, to defend it. He will speak under divine inspiration from Allãh, will declared and enlighten the truth, will negate the wiles of the cunning and will speak on behalf of the feeble (truthful). Take heed you who have eyes, and have full faith in Allãh.'

Saheeh  - Graded by Alama Majlisi

"Someday (after his last pilgrimage) the Messenger of Allah (S) stood to give us a speech beside a pond which is known as Khum (Ghadir Khum) which is located between Mecca and Medina. Then he praised Allah and reminded Him, and then said: "O’ people! Behold! It seems the time approached when I shall be called away (by Allah) and I shall answer that call. Behold! I am leaving for you two precious things. First of them is the book of Allah in which there is light and guidance...The other one is my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. (three times)."

Sahih Muslim, Chapter of the virtues of the companions, section of the virtues of ‘Ali, 1980 Edition Pub. in Saudi Arabia, Arabic version, v 4, p1873, Tradition #36.

"We returned with the Messenger of Allah from his Hajj that he had performed, and we stopped at some point on the road. He commanded that prayer should be performed in congregation, then he took the hand of 'Ali and said: 'Am I not dearer to the believers than their own selves?' They said: 'Yes indeed.' He said: 'Am I not dearer to every believer than his own self?' They said: 'Yes indeed.' He said: 'This man is the friend of those whose master I am.'" - Sunan Ibn Majah and MANY other sources.

Edited by Tawheed313

محمد بن إسماعيل، عن الفضل بن شاذان، عن صفوان بن يحيى، عن منصور ابن حازم قال: قلت لابي عبد الله عليه السلام: إن الله أجل وأكرم من أن يعرف بخلقه، بل الخلق يعرفون بالله، قال: صدقت، قلت: إن من عرف أن له ربا، فينبغي له أن يعرف أن لذلك الرب رضا وسخطا وأنه لا يعرف رضاه وسخطه إلا بوحي أو رسول، فمن لم يأته الوحي فقد ينبغي له أن يطلب الرسل فإذا لقيهم عرف أنهم الحجة وأن لهم الطاعة المفترضة. وقلت للناس: تعلمون أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله كان هو الحجة من الله على خلقه؟ قالوا: بلى قلت فحين مضى رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله من كان الحجة على خلقه؟ فقالوا: القرآن فنظرت في القرآن فإذا هو يخاصم به المرجي والقدري والزنديق الذي لا يؤمن به حتى يغلب الرجال بخصومته، فعرفت أن القرآن لا يكون حجة إلا بقيم، فما قال فيه من شئ كان حقا، فقلت لهم: من قيم القرآن ؟ فقالوا ابن مسعود قد كان يعلم وعمر يعلم وحذيفة يعلم، قلت: كله؟ قالوا: لا، فلم أجد أحدا يقال: إنه يعرف ذلك كله إلا عليا عليه السلام وإذا كان الشئ بين القوم فقال هذا: لا أدري، وقال هذا: لا أدري، وقال هذا: لا ادرى، وقال هذا: أنا أدري، فأشهد أن عليا عليه السلام كان قيم القرآن، وكانت طاعته مفترضة وكان الحجة على الناس بعد رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله وأن ما قال في القرآن فهو حق، فقال: رحمك الله.

Muhammad b. Isma`il from al-Fadl b. Shadhan from Safwan b. Yahya from Mansoor b. Hazem.

He said: I said to Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام: Allah is too Majestic and Gracious to be known through His creation; rather, creation is known through Allah. He said: You have spoken the truth. I said: For one who knows that he has a Lord must know that this Lord has [things that incur His] satisfaction and [things that incur His] discontent, and he does not know what satisfies Him and what discontents Him except by revelation (wahi) or a messenger. So, one who does not receive revelation must seek the messengers, and if he found them, he will know that they are hujaj and that obedience to them is obligatory. And I said to the people: Do you know that the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله was the hujja from Allah over His creation? They said: Yea. I said: So after the passing of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله, who was the hujja over His creation? So they said: The Qur’an. So I considered the Qur’an, which is used in debates by the Murji’a, the Qadriyya, and the atheist (zindeeq) – who does not believe it, but uses it in his debates to defeat the [Muslim] men. So I came to know that the Qur’an cannot be a hujja without a Guardian; whatever he says regarding it would be true. So I said to them: Who is the Guardian of the Qur’an? So they said: ibn Mas`ud, for he was learned, `Umar was learned, and Hudhayfa learned. I said: [Learned in] all of it? They said: No. I did not see anyone who said “he knew all of it” except with regards to `Ali عليه السلام. And if something (i.e. an issue) emerged within the community, one would say, “I do not know”, and another would say “I do not know”, and another would say “I do not know”, and another (i.e. Amir al-Mu’mineen) would say: “I know” – so I bear witness that `Ali عليه السلام was the Guardian of the Qur’an, and that obedience to him is obligatory and that he is the hujja upon the people after the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله and whatever he said regarding the Qur’an is true. He (i.e. the Imam) said: May Allah have mercy on you. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 426)

(majhool kal-sahih) (مجهول كالصحيح)

http://www.imamiyya.com/hadith/usul-kafi/book-4/chapter-1

1. The reasons for the existence of an Imamate

2. The rights and duties of an Imam.

3. How the Imams were chosen and by whom

Salam there is two type of Imammate meant with regards to Imams. Their divine leadership in which all Messengers had. The special guide role in which Ibrahim gained after being a Messenger.

One is general guidance role for all of humanity. So that humans learn knowledge and gain insight to wisdom, and that the religion be safeguarded from corruption, and the path of Allah made known and the rope of God established. And it's also to create attachment to the holy friends of God, so as to gain attachment to God's holy state and the end state of the next world, and exalted God's word of purity and guidance over that of the unclean word of low desires and disbelief.

The other is a special guidance for God's sincere friends, and that's so they imitate the inward states of glorification of God at every stage, establishing a heavenly spirit of Salah and good actions, and show a special inward reception of seeing greatness, majesty and divine beauty by which we gain insight to Allah's Outwardness in his Inwardness, and Inwardness in his Outwardness. 

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight