Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Journey of Truth

Eating Meat Not Slaughtered In The Right Way

Rate this topic

I was out with a few Sunni friends the other night and we went to a Asian restaurant, this restaurant is NOT HALAL. (I ordered a fruit salad) 

The Sunni brother said to me just say Bismillah and eat it will be halal, when I asked where on earth you got that from they gave me the below hadith.

The below has been copied and pasted just as it was given to me .

"It has been narrated from Aisha, Radi-Allahu anha, that some persons said to Nabi (SAW) 'People bring to us meat. We know not whether the name of Allah Ta'ala has been taken (upon its slaughter) or not? Nabi (SAW) replied, 'You people say Bismillah and eat it.' Aisha, Radi-Allahu anha, says, 'the people referred to (in this Hadith) were new Muslims.'" (Bukhari vo1.2 pg.828; Deoband)

I just do not understand why the Prophet would make such a statement? So does that mean anyone can eat anything just by saying Bismillah ?

salaam ,

i think the Hadith has nothing to do with your case .in the Hadith ( whether true or false) people can think of the meat as Halal one because of one who have given this meat is Muslim . but in your case you don't have any idea and can not even guess it can be slaughtered based of Islam rulings .

Edited by kamyar

I know brother, I just want to know why a sunni will eat meat not slaughtered the halal way based on the above sunni hadith? I am Shia but when I ask my Sunni friends they tell me it is ok to eat so I am confused why many Sunni will eat haram meat so easily?

Salaam,

I also found it odd that some (Sunni) Muslims in my area were also quick to permit the consumption of non-halal meat as well as the use of non-halal leather and other animal products.

While it is true (as we both know) that some Sunnis permit such questionable behavior, it is certainly NOT true that ALL Sunnis are so lax...In my experience, it is generally Hanafis who permit such things; I don't have access to it now, but this issue was raised at what was formerly sunnipath.com some time ago; I do recall reading a reply permitting the use of leather and (some) other non-halal animal products (but still no pork/gelatin)...as you might imagine, the argument presented in defense of such a ruling was (as usual) tortured and circuitous...

Wa Allahu A'alam

WS

p.s: I currently don't identify as a Sunni, although I did at one point in the past...

I was out with a few Sunni friends the other night and we went to a Asian restaurant, this restaurant is NOT HALAL. (I ordered a fruit salad) 

The Sunni brother said to me just say Bismillah and eat it will be halal, when I asked where on earth you got that from they gave me the below hadith.

"It has been narrated from Aisha, Radi-Allahu anha, that some persons said to Nabi (SAW) 'People bring to us meat. We know not whether the name of Allah Ta'ala has been taken (upon its slaughter) or not? Nabi (SAW) replied, 'You people say Bismillah and eat it.' Aisha, Radi-Allahu anha, says, 'the people referred to (in this Hadith) were new Muslims.'" (Bukhari vo1.2 pg.828; Deoband)

I just do not understand why the Prophet would make such a statement? So does that mean anyone can eat anything just by saying Bismillah ?

That's not a mainstrean Sunni practice.

Ask your friends this: does saying "Bismillah" before drinking alcohol make it halal?

The same thing applies to meat not slaughtered Islamically.

I've never understood why people like to pick and choose what they believe their religion entails just for the convenience of it.  

This reminds me of something Imam Ali (AS) said: 

"Learn your religion, do not inherit it." 

I don't think Bismillah before drinking alcohol is a fair analogy, as alcohol has been expressly forbidden.

I too have seen Muslims in school and elsewhere doing this.  Although they never referenced this hadith.  There are also plenty of Shia that do this as well.  And there are plenty that don't even care to say Bismillah before eating non-zabiha food.  

Also, a new trend I am finding out is that "halal" restaraunts aren't zabiha necessarily.  They're merely "no pork."  So next time you go to a restaraunt, even if it's owned by Muslims, you need to verify whether or not it is zabiha halal or simply "no pork" halal.

Also, a new trend I am finding out is that "halal" restaraunts aren't zabiha necessarily.  They're merely "no pork."  So next time you go to a restaraunt, even if it's owned by Muslims, you need to verify whether or not it is zabiha halal or simply "no pork" halal.

That's a major problem that we have in the U.S. Sadly, its done by Muslim restaurant owners more than anyone else. They'll have signs up saying its "Halal" along with pictures of various mosques, etc...in fact, some even have a hijabi woman working there. 

After asking if it is "Zabihah" they will reply "No, its not". They'll say its "halal" because its not Pork. 

Are they lying? Well, technically no. Are they misleading Muslims into thinking its Zabihah? Yes, absolutely. That's why whenever i go to a restaurant I make it a point to ask if it is zabihah before ordering.

So far, I have read three topics of yours and every single one of them is an attack on Sunnis.

The reason why the Prophet [saw] made that statement was because the people in question were new Muslims.  Those who brought the matter to the Prophet [saw] did not know if these new converts, and their method of slaughtering, could be trusted.  

"It has been narrated from Aisha, Radi-Allahu anha, that some persons said to Nabi (SAW) 'People bring to us meat.  We know not whether the name of Allah Ta'ala has been taken (upon its slaughter) or not?  Nabi (SAW) replied, 'You people say Bismillah and eat it.'  Aisha, Radi-Allahu anha, says, 'the people referred to (in this Hadith) were new Muslims.'" (Bukhari vo1.2 pg.828)

The problem is that you, like your Sunni friend, cannot read a straight-forward narration.

By the way, I have Shia friends who eat non-zabihah meat, some who used to consume pork.  That been said, I consider some of them - despite eating non-halaal - to be better Muslims than me, for their deeds.  

Instead of parading your brothers around in the open and bringing out their private lives in public sphere, learn to internalize whatever good there is in them.

That's a major problem that we have in the U.S. Sadly, its done by Muslim restaurant owners more than anyone else. They'll have signs up saying its "Halal" along with pictures of various mosques, etc...in fact, some even have a hijabi woman working there. 

After asking if it is "Zabihah" they will reply "No, its not". They'll say its "halal" because its not Pork. 

Are they lying? Well, technically no. Are they misleading Muslims into thinking its Zabihah? Yes, absolutely. That's why whenever i go to a restaurant I make it a point to ask if it is zabihah before ordering.

Unfortunately, some people working as cashiers know "halaal" but do not know what "zabihah" means.  When they are asked if it is "zabihah", their panic causes some people to doubt the halaal status of the restaurant even if assured that it is zabihah.

Just a side note, since I studied up to high school in India, do you know what this means?  

"खुदा नहीं है ; मुहम्मद अल्लाह के दूत के अलावा, ईश्वर के मित्र है और अली"

Translated, it says, "There is no God; Muhammad [saw] is Allah's [swt] emissary, he is Allah's [swt] friend and Ali [ra]".  That underlined part is ambiguous for it says, "Khuda nahi hai" or "God is not".

I thought I should bring it up to see if you know what you have in your signature.  Or help me understand it.

Edited by muslim720

@Muslim720

Thanks, for letting me know that. I just used a translation website and copied whatever came out of it. I took it off my signature.

No problem my brother!  You might want to check the remaining quotes with people who are familiar with those languages, just to be safe.