Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
UmmEbrahim

Effects Of Eclipse On Pregnancy

Rate this topic

Salam,

I really want to know if the occurence of any eclipse have an impact on the foetus/ unborn baby or not. This is a long held belief in the Indian subcontinent that if a pregnant lady lies in a certain position or holds a knife while the eclipse is on then she is prone to give birth to a child with cleft lips or some other deformity. I personally don't believe in such things but recently one of my very learned friend expressed her belief into such a phenomenon because she has had children in her extended family 'suffering' due to the lack of their mothers' precaution at the time of eclipse. I have had a not-so-good argument with her on this so I really want the knowledgeable SC members to please enlighten us about the truth. There's no problem if I'm proven wrong or that I want her to accept her defeat, all that I'm posting here is that the truth must be known.

Please tell me if there's such a thing in our ahadith where we women have been warned of the impacts of eclipse on our unborn babies or if this is sheer superstition, then kindly tell me how can one explain to those who believe in such a thing? And lastly, do we have the pray Salat-al-ayaat if the eclipse doesn't occur in our country or is it that we pray this salat irrespective of the place of the eclipse?

Thanks much in advance!

Beliefs that come out of the Indian subcontinent are simply retarded. An eclipse is merely a piece of rock getting in the way of the sunlight.

So please don't think of your Indian friend as anything close to learned if she believes babies will have funny lips because she held a knife in her hand during an eclipse.

The only harm is eclipse has is eye damage, just don't look at the sun otherwise it will damage your eyes.

I would be precautious too, I would also be very careful with this belief that an eclipse bears a bad influence on a unborn child/fetus as such stories may be superstitions and have no place in Islam, as for ahadith describing the ill effects of a eclipse, I am sorry that I could not find any.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

regardless of hadith . all precautions are necessary. ever wondered y there are so many abnormal kids born in the west?

just take precautions regardless of evidence.

Cmon seriously?

So you forgot Alcohol, smoking, genetics and you decide to think kids are born abnormal in Europe because of Eclipses and lack of superstition?

Cmon seriously?

So you forgot Alcohol, smoking, genetics and you decide to think kids are born abnormal in Europe because of Eclipses and lack of superstition?

dear Darwin, you said your piece. now let I say my piece.

Its quite illogical to think the great vedas as retarded.

Don't bother me.

Edited by Aftahb

The Vedas? The Vedas should play no role in the faith of a Muslim.

and who are you to set that boundary ? ah imam ali ? ah prophet? okay you're the God.  :lol: but you cant be that either. 

and who are you to set that boundary ? ah imam ali ? ah prophet? okay you're the God.  :lol: but you cant be that either.

I am none of the above but I do know that if you are a Shi'i Muslim like me, the boundary is set by the Qur'an and the teachings of Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh) and his Ahlulbayt (as)

(salam)

First off, we should all just chill. Questions are okay to ask. Damn, this site is not what it used to be.

Second off, I found this on the subject. Questions and answers are in Roman Urdu. It says eclipses have no affect (effect? I never know which one) on pregnant women or their children.

Now let's all just calm down. 

For the record, my dear brothers, I don't think it is advised in Islam to refer to books like the Vedas or Bhaghavad Gita and whatnot for Islamic matters. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

By the way, when I had a Islamic question about Ghusl, the first book I opened was the Book of Mormon.

Beliefs that come out of the Indian subcontinent are simply retarded. An eclipse is merely a piece of rock getting in the way of the sunlight.

So please don't think of your Indian friend as anything close to learned if she believes babies will have funny lips because she held a knife in her hand during an eclipse.

The only harm is eclipse has is eye damage, just don't look at the sun otherwise it will damage your eyes.

While I would not call anyone's beliefs retarded, I think that you make a very good point. The belief regarding eclipses and foetal malformations is simply a superstition that is a product of the local culture. Many beliefs from the subcontinent are relics from the region's Hindu past, whether people like to admit it or not.

Personally, I do not think that there is anything wrong with cultural traditions that do not contradict Islam and are not harmful as long as people keep in mind that these are only cultural and do not give them precedence over Islam. What does make me uneasy is when people propagate practices which can be potentially harmful (and I have seen a couple of instances of that in real life). 

Regarding beliefs on the subcontinent, there are some practices and/or beliefs that I find rather questionable (but I won't go into details as I am not knowledgeable enough to comment and I don't want to offend anyone).

Edited by alina92

guys...I will tell you something.

While I was 5 months pregnant with my daughter and working in a hospital there was an solar eclipse and guess what, I was called to do an emergency C section on a patient!! So pregnant and with the solar eclipse going on I cut with the scalpel(knife), dissected with scissors, handled the other instruments and my baby girl was born perfectly fine, Alhumdollilah :)

to the OP, the reason one sees more babies with cleft lips and palates in the subcontinent is poor diet of the mother leading to the deficiency of Folic acid which is the cause of cleft lip and other neural tube defects in the babies.

as for the abnormal babies born in the west I think the reasons are what bro Khalilullah mentioned + lack of moral principles and sexual ethics taught by our Masoomeen (a.s)

Personally, I do not think that there is anything wrong with cultural traditions that do not contradict Islam and are not harmful as long as people keep in mind that these are only cultural and do not give them precedence over Islam. What does make me uneasy is when people propagate practices which can be potentially harmful (and I have seen a couple of instances of that in real life). 

Practising unislamic traditions is like carrying extra weights for no reason. 

For example; In Islam you have a tradition called marriage but then culture adds on some extra costs to marriage to make it more expensive, even though there is no contradiction here but people are still burdened for no reason.

Contradiction is one thing and pointless practices is another. It's like me saying "I accept that you should defend yourself however due to our culture, you must carry 20kg sack of rocks on your back whilst being attacked" there is no contradiction here but Islamic practices has been affected because the essence of self defence is obstructed by a pointless tradition of carrying 20 kg of rocks.

This is why I believe Islam alone is sufficient, there is no need to add extra traditions into a Muslims life and any extra tradition is a burden because Islam already covers all of our needs.

Edited by Khalilallah

Bismillah

Wa`alaykum AsSalam, 

We have narrations that speak about it being undesirable or telling people not to have intercourse during lunar or solar eclipses (as well as some other times), however i haven't heard about anything in regards to how it affects the woman while pregnant. 

Rather then dismiss these teachings completely, it would be interesting to trace them back and see where they come from, if they're are from outside of Islam, how and where (geographically) did the enter, if they are based on a mix of different Islamic teachings, then it would be interesting to see how they were derived. I have some vague scenarios in mind which are amusing, but not worth to much academically so i won't bother with them. 

(salam)

Please, many of you take this the best way:

After reading post 1 again, l thought(approximately): "Gawd, do we have troglodytes and soglodytes on SC?"

If you read the OP's post carefully, you would know that she doesn't believe that but her friend does and she wanted to see whether her friend's beliefs have any basis in ahadith.