In the Name of God بسم الله

From Atheism To Theism

Rate this topic

Ruq

• Veteran Member
On 3/17/2015 at 6:54 PM, Ruq said:

Salams to all,

I recently found Edward Fesers account of his journey from Atheism to Theism and thought it quite interesting so am sharing it here:

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/road-from-atheism.html

Has anyone here had a similar journey?

Thank you Ruq for sharing the link, a very interesting read. 

It is probably the heart rather than the head  that finds  God and although I have a secular upbringing, I do envy and enjoy some of the images religious people are able to experience.
Only a believer can travel such distance; sometimes the extra beauty you effortlessly  imagine adds to my perspective more that I can say.

Speaking for myself, I have tried a few times from different angles the journey towards  theism and, at one point, I was very close but, it seems, I cannot take the last step; I cannot buy a pre-packaged God, a God interpreted  and created by others. A God that demands donations.

I can't help but see organized religion as an industry, a selfish business that finances deceit to keep itself alive. 

All the best.

• Advanced Member
On 3/18/2015 at 4:15 AM, Quisant said:

Thank you Ruq for sharing the link, a very interesting read. 

It is probably the heart rather than the head  that finds  God and although I have a secular upbringing, I do envy and enjoy some of the images religious people are able to experience.
Only a believer can travel such distance; sometimes the extra beauty you effortlessly  imagine adds to my perspective more that I can say.

Speaking for myself, I have tried a few times from different angles the journey towards  theism and, at one point, I was very close but, it seems, I cannot take the last step; I cannot buy a pre-packaged God, a God interpreted  and created by others. A God that demands donations.

I can't help but see organized religion as an industry, a selfish business that finances deceit to keep itself alive. 

All the best.

I completely agree that it is the heart that find religion, and not the mind. The mind only allows, the mind solves conflicts and shows that religion is a rational possibility.

If you are sincere in trying to find religion, then I suggest you speak to scholars (on someone else's recommendation). They will know the ways, for those who have an open heart. I truly feel sorry for those who have no faith at all, not because I believe they are living in ignorance, but because they simply cannot feel what a believer does. This is something which is impossible to explain through words - which makes it even sadder. Taking a page out of Kierkegaard's book, can an atheist ever understand Abraham's sacrifice of his son? Never. Can a believer? Easily.

From your posts sometimes it feels like you understand God, but other times you don't. Organised religion as a business? What money have I given? Is it a terrible thing to give funding to your local mosque where children can learn and make friends? Is it a terrible thing to give money to the poor? This isn't God demanding charity, it is Him allowing us to give it.

• Advanced Member

What I find bizarre is how we wind up with different notions of God and often settle for the religion that we were born into. Here we have Edward Feser writing about his dissatisfaction with atheism, but predictably, decides to revert back to Catholicism---a heretical one perhaps.

It really is bizarre.

• Veteran Member

I completely agree that it is the heart that find religion, and not the mind. The mind only allows, the mind solves conflicts and shows that religion is a rational possibility.

If you are sincere in trying to find religion, then I suggest you speak to scholars (on someone else's recommendation). They will know the ways, for those who have an open heart. I truly feel sorry for those who have no faith at all, not because I believe they are living in ignorance, but because they simply cannot feel what a believer does. This is something which is impossible to explain through words - which makes it even sadder. Taking a page out of Kierkegaard's book, can an atheist ever understand Abraham's sacrifice of his son? Never. Can a believer? Easily.

From your posts sometimes it feels like you understand God, but other times you don't. Organised religion as a business? What money have I given? Is it a terrible thing to give funding to your local mosque where children can learn and make friends? Is it a terrible thing to give money to the poor? This isn't God demanding charity, it is Him allowing us to give it.

I don't think I will seek the advice of scholars for I believe they are just middle-men.
Like the priests of Osiris, Zeus or Odin they all claim to know the Truth.

Same as Muslim clerics, Christian priests or Buddhist monks...they all pull the water to their own mill.

If God exists, He has already equipped humanity with a real mosque: it is called the Universe - and a true teacher: it is called Nature.

This is where we differ but thanks for your advice, it is appreciated. :)
wslm.
Edited by Quisant

• Veteran Member

He makes some good philosophical arguments for theism but I lost a little respect for him when I read that he converted back to Catholocism.  How an otherwise intelligent person could accept the irrational dogma of Christianity, I'll never understand.  It's like he took one step forward by leaving atheism and then 2 steps backwards accepting Christianity. 

• Advanced Member

He makes some good philosophical arguments for theism but I lost a little respect for him when I read that he converted back to Catholocism.  How an otherwise intelligent person could accept the irrational dogma of Christianity, I'll never understand.  It's like he took one step forward by leaving atheism and then 2 steps backwards accepting Christianity. 

He's a long-winded revisionist, too, which makes it even worse. For example, in a previous article about the original sin:

"In short, the penalty of original sin was a privation, not a positive harm inflicted on human beings but rather the absence of a benefit they never had a right to or strict need for in the first place but would have received anyway had they not disobeyed.  And it wasn’t the prospect of pitchforks and hellfire that Adam’s descendents had to look forward to because of what Adam did, but rather the privation of this supernatural gift."

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/modern-biology-and-original-sin-part-ii.html

• Advanced Member

Some days, I re-consider the God question, and then I read that someone came back to religion! @.@ Wow! 

Oh... This person went back to their old religion, the comfortable one... The one they always knew.

And he reverted to the one that Muslims think is off the Straight Path. Catholicism. The thing is, to me, these sorts of stories show how many years of what I assume is genuine searching can lead to nothing of value.

It's not about Islam being true, or Christianity being false. It's about this person settling on bad evidence for theism. 

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

What I find bizarre is how we wind up with different notions of God and often settle for the religion that we were born into. Here we have Edward Feser writing about his dissatisfaction with atheism, but predictably, decides to revert back to Catholicism---a heretical one perhaps.

It really is bizarre.

Most Atheists who then realise the error of their ways (to put it quite generally) revert back to their original theistic belief system and become more religious and deeply involved in it (as they study it more). It's quite natural and I don't know why you would find it bizarre.

I was an Atheist for close to 10 years myself until i reverted back to Catholicism.

• Basic Members

I was an atheist for my entire life. What made me a theist was an unexpected opening of my heart. I don't know what did it, but it was a few things that built up and eventually broke the dam. Mostly I was a staunch materialist and logician. I still am, mostly, and wish I had a bit more heart. I am working on it.

Since I am a Westerner, I flirted with Christianity - it is, in fact, the easiest because it's our culture, it's everywhere.......but I was not comfortable with it. However there's nothing wrong with someone going back to what they know. As long as someone is on the path, there is value in the journey. I read somewhere "don't be afraid of going slowly, be afraid of stopping". And it's true.