Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Philosophy Classes

Rate this topic

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(bismillah)   (salam)   I said I was hibernating soon, and in a sense that's still the case, since new projects beckon as wintertime gives way to spring, gardening and all that, but I'll still remain

(bismillah)   (salam)   This is a reminder that the first class, inshallah, will take place this Saturday, 4th April, at 12pm UK Time.    Please see posts #47 and #49 for finding out what this means o

Salaam Aleikum,    Here is the lecture

• Advanced Member

Salaam Aleikum Brothers and Sisters,

The first lecture video is almost done and insha'Allah will be uploaded today.

Salaam Aleikum Brothers and Sisters,

The first lecture video is almost done and insha'Allah will be uploaded today.

Wa alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

May Allah reward and bless you brother.Thanks a lot.

• Advanced Member

So we've moved to a paid host in order to improve quality and stability during the class. The application we are using is Mumble. It is very simple to set up and I have provided images to guide you on how to do it in 8 steps. It also has native recording so you can record the lectures for yourself.

You can also use the mumble application for your phone, if you want to use an iPhone or Android phone to attend.

Where you need to click is represented in RED BOXES.

Step 1:

Download the application from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mumble/files/Mumble/1.2.8/mumble-1.2.8.msi/download (PC Users)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mumble/files/Mumble/1.2.8/Mumble-1.2.8.dmg/download (Mac Users)

Please download from the correct, as the first will not open on Mac.

Step 2:

Open the installer.

XWBjKK6.png

Step 3:

Click next until you reach the end.

jCwdbOF.png

Step 4:

Open the application.

nm559XT.png

Step 5:

This should pop up. Click on the red boxed area.

59dT9sq.png

Step 6:

This should pop up. Fill in the information as is displayed in the image and proceed to click on the red boxed area.

6CTEPXL.png

Step 7:

Click on the red boxed area.

SS4g4jz.png

Step 8:

Type in the password and click on the red boxed area.

PKVVSNX.png

Edited by Ali Musaaa :)
  • Advanced Member

I downloaded it on my tablet but I can't open it.

On tablet and smartphones you can just download the Mumble app from the app store/play store and connect from there. This is only for desktop computers.

Edited by Hazyn
  • Advanced Member

all done,, but I am unable to connect,at Step 8, its just keeps on saying connected refused, I don't see that password box??

Are you sure you typed everything in correctly?

Did you enter 5565 in the port box? That was the issue with another member that couldn't connect.

Edited by Hazyn
  • Moderators

bro dhulfikar.........I hope you are able to upload the audio soon..... my internet got disconnected and I didn't get to hear it all   :(  :cry: . Such beautifully written and delivered by bro jebreil

• Advanced Member

bro dhulfikar.........I hope you are able to upload the audio soon..... my internet got disconnected and I didn't get to hear it all :( :cry: . Such beautifully written and delivered by bro jebreil

So true..I felt like I was in an accustic theater...mashaAllah...inspiring and totally different from the usual philosophical stuff.

Brother Qa'im's part is giving a frame,so that one does not get lost in the abstract part of what brother Jeb is presenting.Very helpful to understand the context and conditions.

Ali Musa recites so wonderful,mashaAllah.

Edited by mina313
  • Moderators

bro dhulfikar.........I hope you are able to upload the audio soon..... my internet got disconnected and I didn't get to hear it all   :(  :cry: . Such beautifully written and delivered by bro jebreil

Insha'Allah Sister, i will upload the youtube video first and add the two links of dropbox for video and audio only.

• Moderators

So true..I felt like I was in an accustic theater...mashaAllah...inspiring and totally different from the usual philosophical stuff.

Brother Qa'im's part is giving a frame,so that one does not get lost in the abstract part of what brother Jeb is presenting.Very helpful to understand the context and conditions.

Ali Musa recites so wonderful,mashaAllah.

and brother Hazyn. who introduced the App...such clear crisp sound and easy to use....

may Allah reward you all :)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Thank you to all those who came and contributed with their presence.

To those who missed it this time, we hope you will join us for the next session. 

A special thanks to Ali Musa for his Koranic recitation, to Qaim for his speech on Rationalist Imamiyya and his analysis of the hadith he gave at the end of the session, to Zuhayr for the platform in general and his chairing the session, and to Dhulfikar for the recording that he is editing so that brothers and sisters who requested it may share in our experience.

Any constructive feedback on how to improve the quality of our sessions is welcome and will be received happily and inshallah implemented.

Any destructive feedback will be met by tears and heartbreak only.

Information for the next session should be provided inshallah in the coming days. 

Please write any queries you may have about the sessions here. 

For the recording of this session, which was the 2nd, keep an eye on this thread.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Bless you,bro Dhulfikar for your effort.

I would like to ask,if it would be possible to ask questions here about the content of the lectures,but I feel bad about wasting your precious time with my questions,that occur after listening the recordings.During the lecture I'm focussed on understanding than on reflecting the content.

So is it ok to ask here dear brothers?

• Advanced Member

Thank you.

First Question is about brother Qa'im's part:How "purely" based on tradition was the school of the traditionalists,"how much" aqli part did they had?

@brother Jebreil: You said that that you think there will always be tension between religion and philosophy.Unfortunately I didn't understand why.Can you repeat it again please?

May Allah bless and protect you.

(bismillah)

(salam)

mina

You said that that you think there will always be tension between religion and philosophy.Unfortunately I didn't understand why.Can you repeat it again please?

I hope to elaborate further in the next talk. 

I think there is a tension, but it is a gross error to view this or all - or maybe even any - tension as negative. 

This tension is a fruitful one. 

It is the tension that exists in the soul that yearns for freedom and seeks security, desires to be an individual but craves community. 

Philosophy and religion are in a tense relationship, because a confusion in either - and I mean to emphasise 'either' - can corrupt the other, and therefore stall the development of the human being. 

The line between freedom and unrestricted is often vague, as is the line between faith and foolishness.

I do not claim for myself that I have attained this balance, but I am aware of the pitfalls of the philosophers, the pious, and the pious philosophers. 

Inshallah, I will try my best to flesh this out more during the next session, or later sessions.

(wasalam)

Edited by Jebreil
  • Veteran Member

Jazak Allahu Khayran to those involved in the first lecture, all of you spoke very well. The point made about 'love of the world' took my attention and also those made on how we should fear. How to understand fear and healthy fear is something ive considered making a discussion thread about. I'll listen to the 2nd soon inshAllah.

• Advanced Member

Jazak Allahu Khayran to those involved in the first lecture, all of you spoke very well. The point made about 'love of the world' took my attention and also those made on how we should fear. How to understand fear and healthy fear is something ive considered making a discussion thread about. I'll listen to the 2nd soon inshAllah.

Can you tell me what Jebreil looks like? I'm craving to know.

• Veteran Member

Can you tell me what Jebreil looks like? I'm craving to know.

angels_from_heaven_by_marianneantoinette

thank me later.

i am sorry that i couldnt join dear brothers. My uncle died on friday night so i was there for 2 days. i will listen to the audio brother Dhulfikar has posted and will join the next one inshallah.