Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

A-Levels And Sat - When To Do Either?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)
(salam)

My friend is currently studying at a college, under the British curriculum. His parents had planned for him to complete his O and A-levels. However, after somebody spoke to them, they have now also started considering their child to pass SAT exam. They think this is a compulsory exam to pass.

My questions are:

1. Are not SATs to be considered only if a student is looking to enroll in American universities? And if a student has plans of studying at a UK university, then are not O and A-levels sufficient?

2. If a student completes her A-levels, but then chooses to study at an American university, can A-levels suffice nonetheless, or must one sit the SAT exams before enrolling at the university?

I would really appreciate if any posters can complement their answers by citing links to official websites, discussion forums, Q&A websites, whichever be available - I need to share these with the friend's parents.

Thank you.

(wasalam)

1. SAT is globally recognized  college admission test designed to test a student's verbal and mathematical skills. It is required for admission in U.S universities. UK universities require different tests to be cleared which are based on the candidates choice of degree. They are:

-BMAT – Biomedical Admissions Test

-ELAT – English Literature Admissions Test

-GAMSAT - Graduate Medical School Admissions Test

-HAT – History Aptitude Test

-HPAT - Health Professions Admissions Test, currently only in use for admission into Medicine in the University of Ulster.

-LNAT – National Admissions Test for Law

-PAT - Physics Aptitude Test

-MAT - Mathematics Admissions Test

-STEP – Sixth Term Examination Paper, only the subjects of Mathematics(I, II, III) are available after 2003

-UKCAT – United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test

-Modern and Medieval Languages Test, provided and required by the Faculty of Modern & Medieval Languages of the University of Cambridge

-Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA Cambridge)

-Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA Oxford), formerly known as the PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) Admissions Test

-Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA UCL)

2- No, He/She must clear SAT in order to qualify for the the enrollment in U.S universities.

• Veteran Member
1. Are not SATs to be considered only if a student is looking to enroll in American universities? And if a student has plans of studying at a UK university, then are not O and A-levels sufficient?

SAT is compulsory for American universities. British ones may hold their own admission tests but they rely on A and O Levels mostly. 

2. If a student completes her A-levels, but then chooses to study at an American university, can A-levels suffice nonetheless, or must one sit the SAT exams before enrolling at the university?

SAT will be compulsory. A Levels are not taken as an alternative to SAT.