Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
shadow_of_light

I Have Changed My Mind About Japan After Reading..

Rate this topic

al-Ibrahim -- I think it was a necessity

blu115 --no, it is very different today. What fundamentally made the pre-WW2 Army so extreme was: 1] back then, the "best and the brightest" for three or four generations went into Army careers; 2] officer training was prolonged throughout the teenage years and cadets were subject to daily brutality, mass punishments, starvation, (no living cadet left training), and so forth. It was Success or Seppuku -graduate or die.

This lead Japanese officers into a pitiless mindset and a total disregard for any life.

Footnote: Japanese people listened to Allied radio --even though that was a death sentence. Allied radio was a morale booster for the Japanese civilians because they thought everything was a lie. They didn't know otherwise until the service men returned home and said the same things.

Edited by hasanhh

^ No, it was not necessary. It was cruel because many victims were innocent.

I agree with you on training and brainwashing.

As to your footnote, can you explain more? What didn't they know?

p.s: I didn't know that soldiers were brainwashed before the war/ invasion.

Edited by shadow_of_light

First of all, I'm sorry but have you been living under a rock? (to not know about the events of WWII)

Secondly, another poster mentioned (I think hasanhh, too lazy to scroll up) that Japanese militarism needs to be viewed in the context of the time. And that's true. Because throughout Japanese history, this phenomenon was an exception, not the rule. Meaning, Japan was not an imperialistic country for most of its history. And in fact, culturally, politically, and militarily, Japan always more or less gravitated towards China.

Thirdly, in their history since the war, Japan has essentially had no military forces, whatsoever. And their people seem to be content with that.

Fourthly, if you're gonna judge Japan based on WWII, there is a long line of countries for you to dismiss and to start hating. (And some of those countries continue to commit crimes to this very day).

Americans love to think of Japanese as racist. But guess what? For an almost entirely homogenous society (with one language and ethnic group), they seem to not be nearly as distrustful or prejudiced toward "different" things and "different" people, as Americans are.

The dismissing of Japanese as racist, or of Japanese culture as weird or perverse, has a very specific reason. The reason being: Japan is the only country that rivals the US in its cultural influence. Meaning, American children all grow up with Japanese TV shows and Japanese video games. So do many other children all across the world. (Arabs and Iranians grew up with Tsubasa). The Americans don't like this, so they try to paint a negative image of Japanese culture. A lot of the perverse things you hear about Japan are taken way out of context, and EVERYTHING you hear about Japanese racism is based entirely on the events of WWII. (As if the US were dropping teddy bears all over Tokyo).

Please, try to not have such kneejerk reactions.

First of all, I'm sorry but have you been living under a rock? (to not know about the events of WWII)

Secondly, another poster mentioned (I think hasanhh, too lazy to scroll up) that Japanese militarism needs to be viewed in the context of the time. And that's true. Because throughout Japanese history, this phenomenon was an exception, not the rule. Meaning, Japan was not an imperialistic country for most of its history. And in fact, culturally, politically, and militarily, Japan always more or less gravitated towards China.

Thirdly, in their history since the war, Japan has essentially had no military forces, whatsoever. And their people seem to be content with that.

Fourthly, if you're gonna judge Japan based on WWII, there is a long line of countries for you to dismiss and to start hating. (And some of those countries continue to commit crimes to this very day).

+1 Well said

Americans love to think of Japanese as racist. But guess what? For an almost entirely homogenous society (with one language and ethnic group), they seem to not be nearly as distrustful or prejudiced toward "different" things and "different" people, as Americans are.

The dismissing of Japanese as racist, or of Japanese culture as weird or perverse, has a very specific reason. The reason being: Japan is the only country that rivals the US in its cultural influence. Meaning, American children all grow up with Japanese TV shows and Japanese video games. So do many other children all across the world. (Arabs and Iranians grew up with Tsubasa). The Americans don't like this, so they try to paint a negative image of Japanese culture. A lot of the perverse things you hear about Japan are taken way out of context, and EVERYTHING you hear about Japanese racism is based entirely on the events of WWII. (As if the US were dropping teddy bears all over Tokyo).

Please, try to not have such kneejerk reactions.

On a side note (not intended for Baradar_Jackson)

My own people had involvement in WII, and that's just one of many, many wars. Do people hate us for that one particular war, they might; but if you count the numerous wars amongst all the nations in the world, you'd be hating pretty much (almost) everyone at some point or another.

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

I think its irrationally to group Japan as a whole. Of course more valid reasons are their cultural/society/religious haram(s). But in general, as on every country, the majority of its people are kind and good. The majority of Japan are the elderly too. Look, there are countless Iranians, Afghans, and Pakistanis leaving there for years freely and respectfully. This in itself should prove plenty.

I've been to Japan a couple of times; in my opinion the Japanese are among the friendliest, most well-educated and most hospitable people on the planet. 

I've also seen the remnants of WWII with my own eyes on the Mariana Islands: the fortified bunkers, bombed-out airstrips, torture chambers, signs denoting mass graves...it blows my mind that the parents and grandparents of many of my Japanese friends participated in such horrific brutality. But then again, there are things my Grandparents told me about their combat experiences and some of the things they did to the enemy were also utterly barbaric...War is hell, and WWII was particularly violent.

I have mixed feelings about the atom bomb(s); ultimately, Hirohito made the decision to continue fighting even after the first bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and the Soviets declared war on him, so I'm not sure what else would've stopped the war; even more people probably would've died had we invaded based on how the US military conducted itself in the South Pacific and elsewhere...

Wa Allahu a'alam

WS   

I

Native Japanese are only friendly to you if you are white-American. Other than that, don't get confused with politeness and friendliness. It's a culture for us Asians to be polite in real life. My 2 cents.

And don't base your decision off some slaughtering from decades to centuries ago. All countries including Iran, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Greece, France, America, China, Tawain, etc., have all done some slaughtering.

Just as a general reminder to people here to please be careful not to make generalisations that could in themselves be construed as racism. A whole race of people are not defined by the events of one war, no matter how terrible their actions may have been.

With regards to the original post, throughout history many atrocities have been committed by soldiers, and it does seem that certain people do use the cover of virtual lawlessness to do terrible things to women and children. We see that even in today's age with the crimes carried out by certain American soldiers in Iraq. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmudiyah_killings (Warning: don't read this if you are of a sensitive disposition)

Firstly, "the winners write the history", as we all have witnessed in regards to Islam.

Secondly, I see no reason why the Japanese would be painted as such... every army in one war or another in whatever part of the world committed ridiculous atrocities... so I don't think it's fair to single out Japan (as several people above stated)

Lastly, as an arab myself, a reminder of what Imam Zain al-3abideen (as) said, (paraphrasing) 'if you knew the details of what happened in Karbala, your bladder would split.'

Pretty much every ethnic race has been absolutely disgusting at one point or another. These days... it's by far America that is the most atrocious but ofc we'll never get the publicity/proof.

I know that almost all countries, at some point during the history, involved in such crimes and I mentioned it in my first post. I hate all of these criminals regardless of their race and nationality. What I cannot completely understand is the reason for these crimes and what made them so cruel that they even killed innocent children very savagely.

And yes, there are good people in Japan, I don't deny it. There are good and bad people everywhere but I think that Japan and its people, at least, must admit that their grandparents committed such a cruel crime (instead of denying or underestimating it) and they must show their regret and try to compensate and punish all of the criminals (if they are still alive) and if they don't, it means that either they are indifferent or they believe that what their ancestors did was quite right and legitimate.