In the Name of God بسم الله

What Is Irfan?

Rate this topic

Bismillah

AOA WR WB

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Islam,

I am curious to know information regarding Irfan and Mysticism. What is it?

What is the Twelver Imami Shiite view on this subject? Is there consensus among the Maraja in this field?

Lastly, what is the Non-Twelver view regarding this?

May God swt Bless your souls.

Walikumasalaam

• Advanced Member

Irfan could be considered the Shi'i equivalent of Sufism, but without the bid'ah and some of the madness associated with Sufism. It's spirituality is the Sunnah, it's philosophy is to serve the Shaykh( 12th Imam ) and serve his every command. Its objective is to break down the self, the ego, the 'nafs' and to abolish any trace of duality between yourself and God. As Rumi put it, "die before your death."

That's 'Irfan in a nutshell. There are many knowledgeable brothers on this forum. They can provide you with some amazing answers.

I hope this helped.

Take care.

Mithrandir.

lol, you're kidding right?

No, Islam has no inward secrets, we ought to just practice the Shariah. And we aren't suppose to think about Allah, but think about creation only. Therefore people talking about all this batin things and Allah are clearly doing bida.

Not to mention Allah's essence is distinct and totally has no link to creation. Saying otherwise is total shirk and kufr and bidah.

• Veteran Member

No, Islam has no inward secrets, we ought to just practice the Shariah. And we aren't suppose to think about Allah, but think about creation only. Therefore people talking about all this batin things and Allah are clearly doing bida.

Not to mention Allah's essence is distinct and totally has no link to creation. Saying otherwise is total shirk and kufr and bidah.

Wrong on so many levels. 

You are basically calling many Ulamas mushrik (استغفر الله). Ulamas such as Sayed Ali Qadhi قدس سره و رحمه الله, Sheikh Muhammad Taqi Bahjat قدس سره و رحمه الله, Sayed Muhammad Husayn Tabataba'i قدس سره و رحمه الله and so many others have reported their own stories in the path of 'Irfan. They have also reported the different methods in which you can get nearer to Allah (s.w.t).

What I have learned and seen from this path is that it pretty much isolates you from your nafs. It is being in complete control and doing only what pleases Allah (s.w.t). Usually people take the path because of what they heard about it and its "bounties" but they quit shortly after because they are not given what they want. And this is mainly because their niyyah isn't in the right place.

I wouldn't go and blatantly call it shirk and kufur. Do your research about it.

• Advanced Member

I know brother, I just thought I would say the none sense before the anti-marifa people came in.

oh, well thank God for that...