Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ethics

Our Rising Oceans And Climate Change! Mind Blowing

This is an astounding documentary of recent times discussing climate change and its effects around the world. It also delves into what is the response in global and western politics, which literally numb your mind, especially for those of us who are citizens of America, to see who the hell is in charge of running our country (ie republicans). This is a very scary and world changing event, and only Allah can save us. It hurts the heart to see how other countries like Bangladesh are affected by this, and just my God, you have to see this for yourself!

***This is from vice, and their hypocrisy is known, however, it is safe to say, this documentary itself does justice.

Our oceans are rising. With human use of hydrocarbons skyrocketing, waters around the globe are getting hotter and, now, this warm sub-surface water is washing into Antarctica’s massive western glaciers causing the glaciers to retreat and break off. Antarctica holds 90% of the world’s ice and 70% of its freshwater, so if even a small fraction of the ice sheet in Antarctica melts, the resulting sea level rise will completely remap the world as we know it – and it is already happening. In the last decade, some of the most significant glaciers here have tripled their melt rate.

VICE founder Shane Smith travels to the bottom of the world to investigate the instability of the West Antarctic ice sheet and to see first hand how the continent is melting -- and VICE follows the rising oceans to Bangladesh for a glimpse into the world's underwater future. From the UN Climate conference to the People's Climate March to the forces that deny the science of global climate change, this special extended episode covers all sides of the issue and all corners of the globe, ending with a special interview with Vice President Joe Biden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h92Ath_2XA

Ethics or anyone who knows the answer to this, (salam)

I was viewing a radar map of Antarctica a couple of years ago and noticed that the ice sheet spans several islands.

I have also, subsequently, noticed a lack of "Antarctic Continent" like when I was in school.

My question is: Is Antarctica no longer considered a continent?

Thanks and now l'll watch the film.

(salam)

I viewed the "Vice" film strip. Someone should call the academic vice squad.

Hokey junk. Sometimes, l did  :lol:

I took some notes and then some research later, to note my reactions.

Counter to the opening "don't you feel inadequate" drama, I do not feel inadequate because climate change is a joke.

Deniers use "tobacco tactics" :!!!:   -how is this defined??? and, this is smear phrasing

"The Westerlies (winds)are" "compressing sea water" and  "pushing down" & "driving it under the ice shelf"  :no:

------- wind creates waves, liquids are not compressible

---- "under the ice shelf"  is below (Thwaites Glacier)

A "5 meter" drop in the surface level of the ice around the Pine Island area  <---remember this for below

Antarctic is about 1.5 times the area of the contiguous United States -- OK

From the Credits:

Executive Producer Bill Maher

Consulting  Producer  Fareed Zakaria

-we know these- but:

Series Segment Producer  Ana Sebescen -bio @ IMDb is best- was Senator Obama's Director of Scheduling and is married to David Krone, Sen. Harry Reid's Chief-of-Staff

Chief Operations Officer(for Vice) Alyssa Mastromonaco, who was Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, 2011-2014, Obama's White House, and other jobs

Opine: I wondered how VPres Joe Biden showed-up for an interview.

Research:

National Geographic, 07June13, "Antarctica's Buried Mountains Revealed by Sharpest Map yet", see picture #2

---- most mountains are under "miles of ice"

--- this is the second Bedmap

-- estimated 11.1mm ~ 0.03feet < 1/2 inch sea level rise from melted ice <--join this with next:

livescience.com/46194 , 09June14, "Hidden Volcanoes Melt Antarctic Glaciers from below"

--- these are geo-thermal "hot spots"

-- the current erupting volcanoe is melting Thwaites Glacier and this melt water is running underneath this glacier into Pine Island Bay.

:mad: but :!!!: with :lol:  the hokey frauds at Vice chose the area of volcanic activity to falsify their thesis (the film strip is 2015)

opine:

1] compare "Dome A" = Dome Argus

2] not listed in the Wikipedia list of volcanoes in Antarctica, a volcanoe erupted underneath the ice sheet, about 1998, east of the above subject area.

Of course, including myself, though this would trigger a massive melt-off. But it didn't, A dome formed over the volcanoe with over a mile of ice over this active volcanoe. To see a similar for yourself, look up Mt Erebus, and you can see snow, air temperature -60o F, inside a volcanic cone over 1700o lava lake.

3] I have a diatribe at post 20,031, Thoughts, General Off-Topic Discussions.