Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Which Laptop Should I Get?

• Veteran Member

Asus G750 17.3" FHD Gaming Notebook Computer, Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz, 24GB RAM, 1TB + 256GB (2x128GB) SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M, Windows 8.1

Spilled tea on it, it over-heated the same day and caught on fire. May it rest in peace. I miss you.

Might buy the MacBook Pro, we shall see :)

First off, that is one sweet laptop! I would kill to have one.

Second, I hope you're not saying that it's somehow the laptop's fault that it caught fire, because it's not a Mac because wheter it's a Mac or a PC, if you spill liquids on it, it will go haywire.

(salam)

I had the same issue not long ago. I was torn between apple and pc. And although many tech gurus advised me against it, I went ahead and bought a Macbook Pro. And I've never regretted it. I have tried both acer and hp before and I had the worse experience. They were incredibly slow and the battery was a joke. One of them wouldn't turn on unless the charger was plugged in.

Alhamdulilah Im very happy with my macbook. I truly feel that I got my moneys worth. It is fast, battery life is excellent and it charges very quickly. And sometimes it really comes down to the small things with apps like keynote and pages are very convenient and easy to use and I dare say much better than the ms office and power point. And the built in dictionary and thesaurus always come in handy.

Ive got it boot camped in case theres any program that can only be used on windows so now I feel Ive got the best of both worlds and can open windows at anytime if I miss it (which I don't).  I will be using some programs like autocad and 3d max and sketch up soon and I expect it to become a bit slower and for it to overheat every now and then. But other that I haven't had any problems whatsoever with general daily usage.

You can get a lot of these same features with some pcs but Id say you should try a mac at least once in a lifetime . I have found apple products (though limiting in certain aspects) to be very reliable and long-lasting.

Again, the problem I have with such comparisons is that in MOST cases, the previous laptops were probably horribly underpowered compared to a Mac and would probably cost half. You, then, go spend a fortune on the Ferrari and, say, "Oh, look, my Toyota was horrible." Yes, it was, compared to the Ferrari but that's because it cost less. Just look at the example I gave above. The new MacBook is supposed to cost 1300$ but will have the same internals as a $1000 laptop from Asus, the same thinness and portability. Almost everything will be the same - except that the Asus, despite the same processor, will be clocked slightly lower leading to just a little less performance - and it costs $300 less. Take any Windows laptop today - and this is especially true today, when it might not always have been so, say, 4 years ago - which costs the same as an Apple product and you'll see that the Windows product works just as well as the Apple product in most cases. The problem is, people buy cheap laptops because they don't want to spend money, then see how (relatively) slow they are, then spend a fortune and now want to compare the overpriced laptop with the poor man's laptop and blame it all on Windows!

• Veteran Member

Asus G750 17.3" FHD Gaming Notebook Computer, Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz, 24GB RAM, 1TB + 256GB (2x128GB) SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M, Windows 8.1

Spilled tea on it, it over-heated the same day and caught on fire. May it rest in peace. I miss you.

Might buy the MacBook Pro, we shall see :)

Oh, and since this is a "Which laptop should I buy thread," I thought I'd give some advice. First off, you look like a proper PC gamer and, so, I would have to assume that you know more than the average Joe about tech specs. So, you do realise that literally none of the MacBooks will give you the same power as your previous machine, right? In fact, apart from the $2400 Pro, none of them even has a dedicated graphics card. Even then, you'd be downgrading (which is obviously not the obvious choice for a new laptop) to a GT 750M compared to your GTX 880M. Not only is that one generation old but, assuming you're a PC gamer, you also know the significance of the X and the 80 vs the 50.

I've previously tried to make gaming work on a laptop but, the truth is, for proper gaming, it's just always better to have a desktop and, then, you can buy a tablet/modestly priced laptop for any work that requires portability. In most cases, the desktop+tablet/laptop combo will cost you around the same, give or take $100-200 (depending on what you buy and from where), as the gaming laptop.

If you still want a laptop, though (and this choice might just be better than even the desktop+tablet/laptop combo), my suggestion would be a MSI GS30 Shadow. Now, that's a revolutionary product! It's essentially a laptop, really light and portable for the class which it's in - easily up there with the MacBooks in these areas - which can be connected to an external DESKTOP GRADE graphics card using a dock. So, you take it around when you want to go to, say, University and, when you come home and want to start gaming, you dock it and have all the power of a desktop. For one, even if you buy, say, a GTX 970 as the external card, the whole package would probably still cost around the same as the $2400 MacBook Pro - probably even less. Secondly, the problem with laptop gaming is that even if your processor is not old, in a few years, the graphics card often is and so you're stuck with an otherwise powerful beast but, if it can't run games, it might as well be a $200 tablet (my case)! This way, if the laptop is still powerful enough, you can always just upgrade the external graphics card with ease and not have to worry about spending any money changing your whole system. (Alienware also has a similar system in it's new 13, 15 and 17 but I prefer MSI's implementation, though you should check both out.)

If you still want a Mac, though, you should probably wait till mid-2015 which is when the MacBook Pro, 15-inch, is supposed to be updated with newer processors and graphics card - though even then, all that I've said above will be true and you'll still go home with an underpowered machine compared to the comeptition.

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra

• Advanced Member

Again, the problem I have with such comparisons is that in MOST cases, the previous laptops were probably horribly underpowered compared to a Mac and would probably cost half. You, then, go spend a fortune on the Ferrari and, say, "Oh, look, my Toyota was horrible." Yes, it was, compared to the Ferrari but that's because it cost less. Just look at the example I gave above. The new MacBook is supposed to cost 1300$ but will have the same internals as a $1000 laptop from Asus, the same thinness and portability. Almost everything will be the same - except that the Asus, despite the same processor, will be clocked slightly lower leading to just a little less performance - and it costs $300 less. Take any Windows laptop today - and this is especially true today, when it might not always have been so, say, 4 years ago - which costs the same as an Apple product and you'll see that the Windows product works just as well as the Apple product in most cases. The problem is, people buy cheap laptops because they don't want to spend money, then see how (relatively) slow they are, then spend a fortune and now want to compare the overpriced laptop with the poor man's laptop and blame it all on Windows!

Salam akhi,

I completely understand what you're saying. And for the most part its true, my bad experience with previous underperforming pcs is probably why Im enjoying my mac this much. It is also true that window products with the same features work just as well (maybe even better sometimes). But theres something about apple. Maybe we're just buying the name. Maybe its the neat software. I think with me, because I've had bad experiences with underperforming pcs and android phones, I've always found myself going back to apple .. like the friend you can always rely on and know you can go back to when things go wrong (instead of going through the headache of asking about lenovo, sony, samsung, dell etc. models which for someone like me can feel like a bit of a gamble ). Don't burst my bubble brother, I just got off having to sit hours with the laptop plugged into the charger .. I would've been as happy with a laptop with 5 mins of battery life. More power to you tho, you seem to be very knowledgable in this domain mA.

• Advanced Member

No, it was two separate occurrences that happened the same day. First the tea, then I forgot that I left the laptop on and the fan blew out from the over-heating and it started to smoke.

It was a tragedy. Yes, I am going to wait to see what comes out this year. I gave that laptop a proper burial :D

It also was not fixable.

Lesson learned (1) Don't place fluids near the laptop and (2) Don't leave the laptop running on a surface where the fan cant work!

And yes, that laptop was legendary!

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

• Advanced Member

I think I found a desktop I might enjoy!

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Supreme Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive + 250GB Solid State

Specs:

5th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-5930K processor

Features a 15MB L3 cache and 3.5GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz.

Intel® Core™ i7 processor

16GB DDR4 SDRAM

For multitasking power, expandable to 32GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.

2TB Serial ATA III hard drive (7200 rpm)

Along with a 250GB solid state drive offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

NVIDIA GTX 970 graphics

Feature 4GB dedicated video memory for lush images with rich, intricate detail. An HDMI output allows simple connection to a high-definition external display

8 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

Enables quick and easy wired Web connection.

Liquid cooling

Helps dissipate heat for optimal performance.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit operating system preinstalled

• Veteran Member

I think I found a desktop I might enjoy!

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Supreme Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive + 250GB Solid State

Specs:

5th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-5930K processor

Features a 15MB L3 cache and 3.5GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz.

Intel® Core™ i7 processor

16GB DDR4 SDRAM

For multitasking power, expandable to 32GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.

2TB Serial ATA III hard drive (7200 rpm)

Along with a 250GB solid state drive offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

NVIDIA GTX 970 graphics

Feature 4GB dedicated video memory for lush images with rich, intricate detail. An HDMI output allows simple connection to a high-definition external display

8 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

Enables quick and easy wired Web connection.

Liquid cooling

Helps dissipate heat for optimal performance.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit operating system preinstalled

OK, that would be, like, my dream machine. Oh, if I had the money to change the graphics card to a Titan X.

• Advanced Member

By the way, upon watching this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yve9TB-fXV8

I've been won over by the UX305. It has 8GB of RAM (ddouble the XPS) and 256 GBs of SSD storage (again, twice as much as the Dell) with a 1080p matte screen (so no reflections, same as the 13) and costs 699 (100 less than the XPS). The only thing you give up is a Core M compared to a low voltage i3 in the XPS (leading to a 15-20% reduction in power). For the double RAM and storage, with the significantly lower price and a much more beautiful chassis, that's an acceptable sacrifice. And, contrary to what I had thought, it's already available.

(Oh, and you can add three years of warranty to the mix.)

Oh, wow....that is a nice laptop. That hits all my sweet spots. I have officially been tempted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Forget about the specs & buy yourself a MacBook Air! If you want more power, buy a MacBook Pro. I switched to Apple & won't be buying another PC until I'm 100% certain that they haven't just thrown a bunch of components together in a  shell & installed windows & hope that it works because all my PC laptops get slower & slower the longer I use them (overheated) & I hate the viruses. An Apple is such a pleasure to handle. But if you game, you should probably get a PC.

• 1 month later...
  • Veteran Member

If you are bent on purchasing an apple notebook then I would recommend the 13 inch macbook pro.  Out of all other Apple products, this one offers the best bang for your buck.  The 13 inch is priced reasonably well and is close to the Dell XPS 13, both of these should be the main contenders, since the Dell isn't much cheaper, I would actually go ahead with the pro 13.  Don't even bother with the Macbook Air or Macbook  as they are severely under powered and useless, for a couple hundred more you get a hefty performance increase with the 13 inch Macbook pro.  

Edited by King