Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Which Laptop Should I Get?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Salam, everyone.

Heading off to college soon, In sha Allah, and need to get myself a new laptop. But I'm confused as to which one I should purchase. I can't seem to decide between a lenovo yoga and a macbook. I wanted to get a Dell xps 13, but its short battery life made it seem overpriced.

I mostly use my laptop for typing, youtube, converting my ebooks(calibre) and, well, torrents. 

I'd like to hear all of your thoughts on this. If you can, please provide your reasons for the one you recommend and also mention some of its cons. Keep in mind that I need this thing for college so my needs would be that of an average college student's.

Thanks!

Mithrandir.

• Veteran Member

Ask no more. You've entered my domain. Give me your maximum budget and whether you want to use it for gaming/heavy duty work (like video/photo editing)? On a scale of 1 to 5, how important is portability? Lastly, how much battery life do you want (let's remember that if you have 7 hours at University, you won't be using it all the time). (Though you have already kinda answered them all, I still prefer specifics over vague stuff like 'average student' because, in my book, average University male students can't live without gaming, for example.)

And leave the rest to me.

Oh, and when do you need it? Like, there are a few more interesting things coming out soon and, so, will you be willing to wait or do you need it urgently?

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra

I say MacBook.  It won't be great as a gaming rig, but that's not why you'd be getting it.  After years of trying to be PC, I jumped off the train, bought a Mac and never looked back.  That's right: once you go Mac, you never go back. :)

Macs last longer (in my experience), the logic between programs is the same in a way that windows PCs can't touch, and the lack of virii, malware, spyware, bad design, etc. made it a no-brainer for me.  I also do a lot of photo and sound editing, and I like Macs better for that.  I am totally partisan though; the only thing I dislike more than Windows is ISIS. 

(wasalam)

R

• Advanced Member

@Khadim uz Zahra

Haha, I knew I came to the right place! Thanks for the help.

Okay, to answer your questions: I absolutely do not want to go beyond $1100. As for heavy duty work, I don't really use photoshop. Every now and then, I might edit something on gimp but that's once in a blue moon. Concerning gaming, I'm not a serious gamer but I do like Assassin's Creed. Since I'm not a hardcore gamer I don't mind playing with all my settings on low. It's the story that counts. But it's not very important since I only play during summer vacation. 

On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd say portability comes in at 4 to 4.5. A seven hour battery life seems like a lot next to my HP probook's meager 3 hour 45 minute battery life. Been two years and now it's down to only 40 minutes tops.

I'd like to buy it sometime before September this year. That gives me ample time to save up before classes start.

So, that's about basically it!

@Reisiger I'm gravitating towards mac as well. Seems a little pricey right now. Waiting for a sale or something. Plus, they look really hot xD

Thanks!

Mithrandir.

Edited by Mithrandir

• Veteran Member

DELL / IBM / HP are israel supporting company.

I prefer to stay with Asus they are advance in technology as well as cheap compare to above companies. Second is Acer. I was frequent buyer of laptops, i never found problem in Asus. But my laptops are above i3 and usually i7.

I suggest you go with Quad core i3 with 4 GB RAM its enough for you. 4th Generation preferred.

This is my setup

setup.jpg

Edited by alirex

I prefer to stay with Asus they are advance in technology as well as cheap compare to above companies. Second is Acer. I was frequent buyer of laptops, i never found problem in Asus. But my laptops are above i3 and usually i7.

I suggest you go with Quad core i3 with 4 GB RAM its enough for you. 4th Generation preferred.

This is my setup

setup.jpg

NEEEEEEERD, kidding. U should fix the wires

• Advanced Member

This is my setup

setup.jpg

Mashallah brother, those laptop coolers bring back memories ahahhaha

I also have an ASUS, they have great 24/7 support as well via phone and email.

• Veteran Member

Mashallah brother, those laptop coolers bring back memories ahahhaha

I also have an ASUS, they have great 24/7 support as well via phone and email.

Yeah those coolers are required in summer specially, our city is reaching max 49 Celsius sometimes.

Asus is best not just bcoz they have 24/7 service but they are into computer thing from ages, they were motherboard and chipset expert before this Laptop market boom.

Edited by alirex

• Veteran Member

I don't know how well the newer Macbook models run games but I know that the top of the line models (15") have a GeForce GT 750M which with bootcamp will run newest games flawlessly (assuming since the graphics card is pretty solid for gaming). 

I'd go with a Macbook since it's a workhorse to be honest. الحمد لله mine still work after 6-7 years. They usually last that much so you won't really need to worry about changing your machine. The Mac OS is pretty solid as well. I never really liked Windows' interface.

• Advanced Member

All of you thanks for your replies. It's narrowed down my choices by quite a lot. The only reason I haven't considered Asus yet is because I haven't used any of their products yet.

OK, let's get one thing out of the way right now: with $1100, the only MacBook you can get is an Air. That doesn't have a graphics card. And, all the other laptops you suggested, Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 and Dell XPS 13, are also both Ultrabooks and don't have any graphics cards. So, they won't be running Assassin's Creed anytime soon. You can get laptops with graphics card within your budget but, obviously, you'll have to compromise on portability (they'll be a bit or a lot more heavier than a MacBook or Ultrabook, depending on the model). To stay within the budget, you might also have to let go of things like screen resolution (the Yoga and XPS 13 have two of the most high end screens available at the moment). You might also have to forego an SSD and instead make do with a hard drive (all the laptops mentioned above contain SSDs - also, I hope you know the difference between SSD and hard drives). So, those are two entirely different use cases and I'm going to assume that gaming is not important to you so much and what you really want is something like the Yoga or the Air, an Ultrabook, thin and light. Thus, all these models have SSDs - going for a hard drive can make a significant price difference.

For a student, my very first suggestion is a Suface Pro 3. It's within your budget and it's a brilliant device. It's both a tablet and a laptop and it works really well, has an i5 (for the one within your budget) for performance and, most importantly for a student, comes with pen input. Now, this is a personal preference thing but I find pen input to be crucial for a student as you can digitise all your notes. I can't tell you how much I hate writing on paper and then having to look through everything. Using something like the Surface Pro 3 with OneNote is just nirvana when it comes to organising notes. The only con with the Surface is that some people don't like the keyboard. For that, I would suggest going to a store and checking it out for yourself.

If you find the idea of a pen intriguing (I strongly do!) but don't like the keyboard of the Surface, a very good alternative is a Lenovo Helix. It also has a pen and is a detachable two-in-one (meaning you can just remove the screen and use it as a tablet) with pen input but it's keyboard is more like a normal Keyboard and it works like the Yoga. So, it is essentially a Surface and Yoga's child, which possibly makes it the best among pen-enabled devices. (It is, however, powered by Core M which, as you will read below, might not be the best in performance.)

If pen input just isn't appealing to you, I would immediately throw out the Air and Yoga. The air becauseof the screen (for example, it's screen is only 900p while the Yoga Pro 3 has a 1800p screen, meaning four times the number of pixels, and the XPS has a 1080p display or more). I'm also an iHater and think their products are overpriced for what they offer, though they are kinda becoming better. The Yoga because the third version uses Intel Core M processors which make it extremely light and thin, yes, but have been called out by a lot of reviewers for poor performance. You might still like the Air if you are into the Apple ecosystem and don't like Windows so that's pretty much a binary choice.

(On the Yoga, there are a number of Yoga models but the Yoga 3 Pro actually starts at 1299 so I don't know why you'd be considering it since it's out of your budget. You could go for other Yoga models but if you're considering the Yoga, I am not sure if you're willing to extend the budget or whether you have some other model in mind).

With that done, and assuming you're not madly in love with Mac OS X, the really good options are the upcoming UX-305 ZenBook by Asus, a number of Chi two in ones also from Asus. (I love Asus!) The Zenbook is also much cheaper than the rest but is supposed to offer similar performance to them.

When all is said and done, at the moment, Dell XPS is the best because most of the others have Core M and while performance has only been an issue in the Yoga 3 Pro, I'm going for better performance. It also has a better screen than the Air. As for battery, I don't know what you read but CNET's battery test rated it at 7 hours (which you said was a joy) of continuous use. In normal circumstances, you'd get more. Plus, this was the 1800p screen so if you go for the 1080p - which is probably what you'd have to choose because of your budget - you get even more. And, then there's the fact that they put as 13 inch laptop in an 11 inch chassis making it much more portable.

I would, however, suggest waiting till September because:

1. the Surface Pro 4 will probably be out by then and

2. Upcoming laptops, like the Zenbook UX305, may beat the XPS for a lower cost.

Really long, eh? As I've said, this is my domain! :P

(I've excluded the upcoming Apple product which is called just the MacBook because it's beyong your budget and because the port configuration is a bit weird and might not be very helpful at the moment.

You can read this to get a better comparison among some of the laptops mentioned:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/38981/20150311/buy-the-new-macbook-or-go-non-apple-macbook-2015-vs-dell-xps-13-2015-vs-asus-zenbook-ux305-vs-lenovo-yoga-3.htm)

Wow, that was extremely helpful. Well, the only reason I was considering the yoga is because I've heard nothing but good about it from friends and review sites. For that reason I was willing to extend my budget by a couple hundred dollars if I ended up going with it. I've wanted to try out the Mac OS for quite a while which is why I thought this might be the right excuse to get on the train. As for the new macbook. I agree with you--I don't think it's powerful enough for me.

I've fiddled around with the Dell XPS 13 at the store and I absolutely loved it. The keyboard was amazing! The screen was excellent. But the guy at the store told me--rather uncertainly--that the battery life was only 4 hours. Now that I've checked, turns out he was mistaken. But based on what you've told me, my best bet would be to go with the xps 13. Loved everything about it. Setting my sight on that sweet piece of tech...unless the macbook wins me over( which I doubt given its price ).

Mithrandir.

Edited by Mithrandir

• Veteran Member

All of you thanks for your replies. It's narrowed down my choices by quite a lot. The only reason I haven't considered Asus yet is because I haven't used any of their products yet.

Wow, that was extremely helpful. Well, the only reason I was considering the yoga is because I've heard nothing but good about it from friends and review sites. For that reason I was willing to extend my budget by a couple hundred dollars if I ended up going with it. I've wanted to try out the Mac OS for quite a while which is why I thought this might be the right excuse to get on the train. As for the new macbook. I agree with you--I don't think it's powerful enough for me.

I've fiddled around with the Dell XPS 13 at the store and I absolutely loved it. The keyboard was amazing! The screen was excellent. But the guy at the store told me--rather uncertainly--that the battery life was only 4 hours. Now that I've checked, turns out he was mistaken. But based on what you've told me, my best bet would be to go with the xps 13. Loved everything about it. Setting my sight on that sweet piece of tech...unless the macbook wins me over( which I doubt given its price ).

Mithrandir.

Asus is really popular, especially when you come to Far East Asia - I am in Malaysia and it looks like people are just crazy about the company. Also, it has been received PC Mag's Reader's Choice awards for the past 2-3 years (that I know of), coming second only to Apple.

What about the Surface? Don't like the pen idea? (I'm more interested because I want to generally know what pen people think about using a stylus for notes instead of pen and paper, rather than trying to convert you.)

While I'm glad you've decided on one, I'd still suggest waiting for September because a lot of new laptops come out before the back to school season - the Zenbook, for example, will probably triumph even the XPS because of a really good screen, similar internals and because I don't appreciate Dell's design so much (while it has improved by miles in the last 2 years, the Zenbook is a laptop that I find to be just sleek and sexy, probably more so than any other computer).

• Advanced Member

I don't know much about computers, so I can't advise you on anything regarding that subject, but I think the size and weight of a laptop are important things to consider if you're a University/College student. When my previous laptop stopped working in the middle of the school semester, I was in a hurry to get a replacement computer. I didn't consider any of the specs or features or prices, I just stupidly picked out a laptop that seemed alright and was in stock at the moment because I was in a hurry to finish a huge essay. Worst decision ever, but even worse than that was when I bought a car this year and started driving to University myself. The student parking lot at my University is a good 10-25 minute walk to campus depending on where you park (I somehow always get the farthest parking from the University :( ). As a result I'm spending about 40-50 minutes each day just walking to/from my car with a huge boulder weighing down on my shoulders. I have so much back pain from this and just a few days ago I noticed bruises starting to form around my shoulders where the straps of my bag sit. I can't even fit my laptop in my purse or tote bag on the days when I only have one class; I have to carry it around in my ugly backpack because of how big it is. Sorry for getting a little off track there, but seriously, if you're going to be driving to school, consider how far the student lots are from your faculty's building and how much you'd have to walk every day. Don't buy something big and heavy if you're going to be walking as much as I am. Seriously. 

• Veteran Member

Mithrandir.

Upon further reading - especially since Lenovo updated the Yoga with a slightly better processor - I suppose the Yoga can also be an acceptable choice. So, I guess it comes down to whether you want to extend your budget and how important the Yoga's 2-in-1 status is for you, compared to the XPS which is just a normal laptop.

• Advanced Member

Upon further reading - especially since Lenovo updated the Yoga with a slightly better processor - I suppose the Yoga can also be an acceptable choice. So, I guess it comes down to whether you want to extend your budget and how important the Yoga's 2-in-1 status is for you, compared to the XPS which is just a normal laptop.

After reading up a bit, I'm leaning towards the surface pro. Never really took the pen into account, but after thinkning about it, I think it would be really useful. I'm just worried that taking notes on it might be tiresome. The only other time I used something similar to a stylus was on Nintendo DS waaaayyy back in 2007--and that was a drag.

Not going with the Yoga. Either the XPS or the Surface.

Edited by Mithrandir

lol do you get the best of both worlds when you own macbook pro. coz I have been using macbook pro for 5 years and I haven't got anything

Well thats kind of like your postman being upset he can't fly a f-22.

You not understanding Unix as well as the well designed UI of osx is nobodies fault by your own. And you can install windows on it. Macbook pro is also very well built in terms if hardware, monitor and internal hw compatibily.

• Veteran Member

After reading up a bit, I'm leaning towards the surface pro. Never really took the pen into account, but after thinkning about it, I think it would be really useful. I'm just worried that taking notes on it might be tiresome. The only other time I used something similar to a stylus was on Nintendo DS waaaayyy back in 2007--and that was a drag.

Not going with the Yoga. Either the XPS or the Surface.

For the Surface, like I've said, the best way for you to know for sure is to actually go to the store and check it out. Because not only is the pen something that you either like or hate but also the keyboard is not your normal kind. Microsoft has a number of stores around the US (which is where I'm assuming you are) and you can also find Surface Pro in other chains like Best Buy and what not so it shouldn't be too hard to get a hands-on experience. 

My personal experience with pen input has been alright. While writing on a real piece of paper is obviously more satisfying - I actually like to write random stuff as a way to pass time and because I find it soothing so instead of doodling when I am bored in a lecture, I list the names of the Greek gods and their powers! :P I obviously won't have that feeling that you get when writing on paper but when I write notes on paper today, they are a complete mess because I often can't find what I wrote a few months ago or I write lecture notes, then scribble a tutorial, then add some personal note, then do an example then write the rest of the lecture notes and so on. They are a mess when it comes to organistation. With a digital notebook, that problem is just gone. You do, however, tend to write a lot larger on the screen than when compared to on paper (I don't know why) but you can deal with that by changing the zoom settings between reading and writing. Also, the screen I used was around 10 inches and the Surface is 12 inches so that should also make a huge difference in terms of accessibility. The reason I didn't continue was that the tablet I had was an older Atom and so couldn't keep up after about a page of notes. With an i5, I guess that shouldn't be a problem. If I could buy both the Surface and the gaming PC that I want to buy, I would certainly buy it in a heartbeat but, alas, I love gaming more than making my notes more organised! (As a side note, not only is organisation better but, also, OneNote - the best note taking app ever! - can actually search through your handwritten notes without you having to convert them into text. Imagine that! It can also convert your handwritten notes into proper text so it's just wonderful!)

If you do like the Surface Pro, however, it becomes even more paramount that you wait a few months because the next version could be announced by May, even, and you really don't want to buy a new computer for it to become obsolete in two months!

• Advanced Member

Well thats kind of like your postman being upset he can't fly a f-22.

You not understanding Unix as well as the well designed UI of osx is nobodies fault by your own. And you can install windows on it. Macbook pro is also very well built in terms if hardware, monitor and internal hw compatibily.

Hmm.. lol maybe you worded your statement awkwardly, but yes, I'm aware of that feature  

• Advanced Member

All these guys are idiots xD

Get an apple laptop if your specifically going with laptops. But if you are thinking about doing any real stuff like using programs and what not. Then go build a Desktop PC from scratch. Buy yourself an i7 intel processor or AMD fx 8350 and get that nice Graphics card. You will also need a good motherboard. Pick ASUS as your motherboard and make sure it is compatible with your processor. If you need more info on how to build a desktop. Give me a PM. I game a lot. Btw the same processor on a laptop is always going to be inferior to the same processor on a desktop due to Graphics card and ram. Plus, when you are bored, you can play video games instead of having to buy a gaming console which has dramatically bad CPU and GPU.

You can go to www.newegg.com for all your materials or www.frys.com

Edited by narcotic_ice

• Advanced Member

@Khadim uz Zahra

Haha, I knew I came to the right place! Thanks for the help.

Okay, to answer your questions: I absolutely do not want to go beyond $1100. As for heavy duty work, I don't really use photoshop. Every now and then, I might edit something on gimp but that's once in a blue moon. Concerning gaming, I'm not a serious gamer but I do like Assassin's Creed. Since I'm not a hardcore gamer I don't mind playing with all my settings on low. It's the story that counts. But it's not very important since I only play during summer vacation. 

On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd say portability comes in at 4 to 4.5. A seven hour battery life seems like a lot next to my HP probook's meager 3 hour 45 minute battery life. Been two years and now it's down to only 40 minutes tops.

I'd like to buy it sometime before September this year. That gives me ample time to save up before classes start.

So, that's about basically it!

@Reisiger I'm gravitating towards mac as well. Seems a little pricey right now. Waiting for a sale or something. Plus, they look really hot xD

Thanks!

Mithrandir.

Why don't you try the 2014 Macbook Air, or maybe wait for the 2015 Macbook Air? Portability, Battery Life (9 hours on the 13 inch MBA), Decent gaming on low settings, and great software design/hardware design. Makes your life more functional if you have an iPhone or an iPad.

The Macbook Pro might be a good option as well due to it's better hardware. Im a convert from windows. Windows absolutely sickens me. It's ugly, slow, and annoying. 

The MacBooks are very portable and lightweight.

Edited by blu115

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Salam, everyone.

Heading off to college soon, In sha Allah, and need to get myself a new laptop. But I'm confused as to which one I should purchase. I can't seem to decide between a lenovo yoga and a macbook. I wanted to get a Dell xps 13, but its short battery life made it seem overpriced.

I mostly use my laptop for typing, youtube, converting my ebooks(calibre) and, well, torrents. 

I'd like to hear all of your thoughts on this. If you can, please provide your reasons for the one you recommend and also mention some of its cons. Keep in mind that I need this thing for college so my needs would be that of an average college student's.

Thanks!

Mithrandir.

I am using a Windows laptop I got for less than $500 and it does all that you said. It's 15'6. Don't waste money on a mac especially when everything you said can run on virtually any computer from any price range.

• Advanced Member

For the Surface, like I've said, the best way for you to know for sure is to actually go to the store and check it out. Because not only is the pen something that you either like or hate but also the keyboard is not your normal kind. Microsoft has a number of stores around the US (which is where I'm assuming you are) and you can also find Surface Pro in other chains like Best Buy and what not so it shouldn't be too hard to get a hands-on experience. 

My personal experience with pen input has been alright. While writing on a real piece of paper is obviously more satisfying - I actually like to write random stuff as a way to pass time and because I find it soothing so instead of doodling when I am bored in a lecture, I list the names of the Greek gods and their powers! :P I obviously won't have that feeling that you get when writing on paper but when I write notes on paper today, they are a complete mess because I often can't find what I wrote a few months ago or I write lecture notes, then scribble a tutorial, then add some personal note, then do an example then write the rest of the lecture notes and so on. They are a mess when it comes to organistation. With a digital notebook, that problem is just gone. You do, however, tend to write a lot larger on the screen than when compared to on paper (I don't know why) but you can deal with that by changing the zoom settings between reading and writing. Also, the screen I used was around 10 inches and the Surface is 12 inches so that should also make a huge difference in terms of accessibility. The reason I didn't continue was that the tablet I had was an older Atom and so couldn't keep up after about a page of notes. With an i5, I guess that shouldn't be a problem. If I could buy both the Surface and the gaming PC that I want to buy, I would certainly buy it in a heartbeat but, alas, I love gaming more than making my notes more organised! (As a side note, not only is organisation better but, also, OneNote - the best note taking app ever! - can actually search through your handwritten notes without you having to convert them into text. Imagine that! It can also convert your handwritten notes into proper text so it's just wonderful!)

If you do like the Surface Pro, however, it becomes even more paramount that you wait a few months because the next version could be announced by May, even, and you really don't want to buy a new computer for it to become obsolete in two months!

I've tried out the Surface Pro, and while I loved using it for the most part, the keyboard disappointed me. I didn't feel comfortable with it at all. It felt clumsy, and was just too small from my liking. I think that effectively rules out the current Surface from my 'potentials list'.

I am using a Windows laptop I got for less than $500 and it does all that you said. It's 15'6. Don't waste money on a mac especially when everything you said can run on virtually any computer from any price range.

Well, I kind of want to get a nice laptop since it is college after all. And it's high time I get on the ultrabook train.

• Veteran Member

I've tried out the Surface Pro, and while I loved using it for the most part, the keyboard disappointed me. I didn't feel comfortable with it at all. It felt clumsy, and was just too small from my liking. I think that effectively rules out the current Surface from my 'potentials list'.

Well, I kind of want to get a nice laptop since it is college after all. And it's high time I get on the ultrabook train.

If you liked the pen but had problems with the keyboard, you should try out the Lenovo Helix 2. It comes with a pen, like the Surface, but has two optional keyboard accessories, one of which is just like your iPad keyboard (as in, it doesn't do much, you just put the tablet in a groove which keeps it upright but, unlike an iPad keyboard, it's a proper, full sized keyboard and, as everyone knows, Lenovo is renowned for their keyboards) while the second is the more interesting one. It attaches to the tablet and allows you to rotate the whole thing like a Yoga. I guess one more trip to the store might be in order (though I'm guessing that the Helix with the second type of keyboard might be hard to find in stores).

If that doesn't work out, I guess it's the XPS, eh (or waiting)?

• Advanced Member

If you liked the pen but had problems with the keyboard, you should try out the Lenovo Helix 2. It comes with a pen, like the Surface, but has two optional keyboard accessories, one of which is just like your iPad keyboard (as in, it doesn't do much, you just put the tablet in a groove which keeps it upright but, unlike an iPad keyboard, it's a proper, full sized keyboard and, as everyone knows, Lenovo is renowned for their keyboards) while the second is the more interesting one. It attaches to the tablet and allows you to rotate the whole thing like a Yoga. I guess one more trip to the store might be in order (though I'm guessing that the Helix with the second type of keyboard might be hard to find in stores).

If that doesn't work out, I guess it's the XPS, eh (or waiting)?

The pen was good, but it's not enough to warrant a purchase. I've decided to wait around a bit more, and see what the tech world brings out this year xD

• Veteran Member

By the way, upon watching this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yve9TB-fXV8

I've been won over by the UX305. It has 8GB of RAM (ddouble the XPS) and 256 GBs of SSD storage (again, twice as much as the Dell) with a 1080p matte screen (so no reflections, same as the 13) and costs 699 (100 less than the XPS). The only thing you give up is a Core M compared to a low voltage i3 in the XPS (leading to a 15-20% reduction in power). For the double RAM and storage, with the significantly lower price and a much more beautiful chassis, that's an acceptable sacrifice. And, contrary to what I had thought, it's already available.

(Oh, and you can add three years of warranty to the mix.)

• Advanced Member

Asus G750 17.3" FHD Gaming Notebook Computer, Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz, 24GB RAM, 1TB + 256GB (2x128GB) SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M, Windows 8.1

Spilled tea on it, it over-heated the same day and caught on fire. May it rest in peace. I miss you.

Might buy the MacBook Pro, we shall see :)

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I had the same issue not long ago. I was torn between apple and pc. And although many tech gurus advised me against it, I went ahead and bought a Macbook Pro. And I've never regretted it. I have tried both acer and hp before and I had the worse experience. They were incredibly slow and the battery was a joke. One of them wouldn't turn on unless the charger was plugged in.

Alhamdulilah Im very happy with my macbook. I truly feel that I got my moneys worth. It is fast, battery life is excellent and it charges very quickly. And sometimes it really comes down to the small things with apps like keynote and pages are very convenient and easy to use and I dare say much better than the ms office and power point. And the built in dictionary and thesaurus always come in handy.

Ive got it boot camped in case theres any program that can only be used on windows so now I feel Ive got the best of both worlds and can open windows at anytime if I miss it (which I don't).  I will be using some programs like autocad and 3d max and sketch up soon and I expect it to become a bit slower and for it to overheat every now and then. But other that I haven't had any problems whatsoever with general daily usage.

You can get a lot of these same features with some pcs but Id say you should try a mac at least once in a lifetime . I have found apple products (though limiting in certain aspects) to be very reliable and long-lasting.

Edited by Yasmeena