Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
coldcow

Question For Sunnis: Sunni Salaat Vs Shia Salaat

Rate this topic

Salaam Sunni brothers/sister,  

Whenever I have time I try to make it to jummah salaat at the only masjid in town.  I don't make it out there too often, but I was just wondering about the differences in our salaat.  I know y'all don't hold up your hands in the 2nd rakaat.  Y'all also stick up your finger at the end of the last rakaat, and you look over your right then left should?  And you also say ameen after each surah.  And of course you fold your arms.

I was just wondering if any of you could explain any of these things, or point out any other differences that I may have missed.  And I'm not trying to insinuate that any of the above is incorrect, I'm always just curious about our differences.

Thank you.

And in case you were wondering, when I pray alongside Sunnis, I keep my hands down, and I follow all the major movements of everyone around me (don't put my hands up in the 2nd rakaat), but I don't say ameen after every surah, and I don't do the finger thing or the looking over the shoulder thing.

" hold up your hands in the 2nd rakaat " - Qunoot

" stick up your finger at the end of the last rakaat " - Shahaadat

" you look over your right then left should " - Salaam

" ameen after each surah " - Only after Soor-e-Al Fatiha

" you fold your arms " - Bcoz as per there believes and there authentic hadith , Rasool Allah (saw) pray in both type fold as well as straight.

" point out any other differences that I may have missed " - The only difference is concept of Ahlul Bait (as).

ColdCow vs HotCow

:lol:

Nothing can change , better to talk about what is Similar in us .. instead of difference.

--------- Edited : -------------

Like to add one more thing for your info. when you use word " Sunni " you are putting a blanket on all sects under Sunni. In which

Hanafi ( 4-8 Sub sect ) - Barelvy and Deobandi came in this sect .. One is grey and another is dark grey and when they become Ahle Hadees they become Black. Shades in between Hanafi and Takfir in between them is normal.

Shafi ( may be more sect i have no info )

Hanbali ( 5-10 Sub sect )

Maliki ( may be more sect i have no info )

KhanQah  ( 8 Sub Sect ) - This sect is Sufi sect. And they are very close to Ahle Tashio and also doing Azaadari. Only difference is they are considering first 3 Caliph too.

This edited info is my personal collection may they have more sub sect inside , same like Ahle Tashio have. Total i heard is around 60 sub sect in Sunni four major sect.

Edited by alirex

I was just wondering if any of you could explain any of these things, or point out any other differences that I may have missed.  And I'm not trying to insinuate that any of the above is incorrect, I'm always just curious about our differences.

Explanation: That is how Sunnis have learnt to pray salat (Following Sunnah which is also mentioned in their ahadith collection, for instance in Malik Muwatta which was written in 150 hijri). The four schools of thought in Sunniism agree on major movements, which are also mentioned in Quran however differ on minor actions. They state that Salat was offered with slight differences in different time during Prophet's (saw) era. Sunnis believe that Salat was also prayed arms opened (some Maliki Sunnis still pray this way) it is just a matter of fazilat to find out the last (latest) way of his (saw) praying salat.

another thing is that Sunnis say ameen only after Surah Fatiha and not other Surahs. They raise their Shahada finger while reciting Atahiyat  in Quadah may it be any rakah.

As a Shia, FOR FINISHING THE PRAYER:  you can of course turn your head to right and see your right side and say "Asalamo Alaykom va Rahmatollah"

and then turn your head to left and say this

السلام علیکم و رحمه الله و (برکاته )ـــ

No Problem at all.

We usually say 3 Takbirs but both are true.

As a Shia, FOR FINISHING THE PRAYER:  you can of course turn your head to right and see your right side and say "Asalamo Alaykom va Rahmatollah"

and then turn your head to left and say this

السلام علیکم و رحمه الله و (برکاته )ـــ

No Problem at all.

We usually say 3 Takbirs but both are true.

Interesting.  I wonder why Sunnis developed a preference for one and Shias preference for the other.  

These are all exist in our FIGHH.

Olamas almost know these matters.

For Example: Shahid Thani (around 600 years ago) was saying his Fatavas for all 5 Islamic groups:

Shias

Maleki

Hanafi

Shafee

Hanbali

Edited by Mohamad Hanif

The differences between Shia and Sunni are in details, but about the amount of Salat they are at the same boat.

Here I mention to some of these differences:

1. In Azan and Eqameh. Shia believe that we should recite Azan after arrival of the time of Salat, but Sunni brother believe that it is permissible to recite Azan before  rise of Fajr (فجر). Also Shia say that it is permissible to say (اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ عَليً وَلِيُ الله) in Azan, while Sunni say it is innovation (بدعت).
  2. While Shia say that it isn't permissible to eliminate Bismillah (بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم) from chapter in Salat and if you recite a chapter in Salat without Bismillah, it is invalid, but Sunni sects have different idea about this issue.
  3. Reciting of Fatehe (الفاتحه) chapter in the first two Rakats (رکعت) of Salat. Shia believe that it is obligatory to recite Fateh chapter in the first two rakat and if recited another chapter, the salat is invalid.
  4. Reciting a chapter after Fatehe chapter. Shia believe that it is obligatory to recite a complete chapter after Fatehe chapter, while sunni sects believe that it is permissible to recite a part of a chapter, not whole chapter.
  5. Jahr and ekhfat in Salat. Shai believe that it is abligatory to recite morning and evening prayer with loud voice and recite noon prayer silently but Sunni brothers have another idea.
  6. Putting hands on each other (Takatof). While Sunni brother do takatof in their Salat, shia don't believe that it invalidates Salat.
  7. Say "Ameen" after reciting fatiha Sura. Shia believe that saying Ameen makes Salat void, but Sunni say it is Mustahab.
  8. Sunni sects believe that it is permissible to turn their face to the right and left side when are saying Salam.
  9. According to Sunni thought, it is Haram to pass in front of a person who is praying, but Shia don't believe it as a Haram action.
  10. Sunni believe that daily pray should be held in five times during a day, but shia believe that we can gather Zuhr and Asr together and Maghrib and Esha together.
  11. Sunni believe that it is permissible to pray recommended prayer in congregational way, but Shia believe that only obligatory prayer can be held in congregational way.
  12. The Sunni don't recite Salavat in Tashahod completely and eliminate the second part (و آله) of Salavat.

These are all excellent posts and I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already, but the one thing that sticks out is that the major differences between Shi'a and Sunni prayers are mainly issues of jurisprudence.  The four main Sunni schools of Fiqh differ with each other as much as with the Ja'fari school.  I think Alirex nailed it with the point that it is better to talk about similarities than differences.  To me, the saddest thing is that the biggest differences between the schools are exacerbated by things like falsification of hadith (i.e., Abu Hurairah). 

9. According to Sunni thought, it is Haram to pass in front of a person who is praying, but Shia don't believe it as a Haram action.

There is a valid hadees available in Maktab-e-Ahle Tashio for this and is from Prophet (pbuh) .. If someone will know what punishment Allah can give to that person who is passing in front of a Praying person , That person will stand whole life and will not pass due to fear of it.

Edited by alirex

Salaam brothers and sisters,

As others have mentioned, Malikis either pray with their arms by their sides OR folded, it seems to me that some salafist-type Malikis have adopted the whole "clutching the heart" pose of the salafis/shafi'is use, whilst more "traditional" malikis keep their arms in as-Sadl; the former are generally Arabized/"Salafized"/"modernized" North Africans, whereas the latter are generally from less modernized and more "traditional" areas of Africa...I have prayed alongside/behind Malikis from both camps...

Also, a Maliki/Shafi'i/Hanbali/Salafi does more than simply raise his/her index finger once during Shahada...Malikis make clockwise-rotating circular movements with their index fingers whilst reciting Shahada, while the rest make rapid up/down movements with the index finger... only Hanafis do the whole up/down once index finger thing...

I've been praying like a Maliki for so long it's become ingrained in me (and my kids)...I hate to say it, but I've tried making Salah Ja'afari-style and it just doesn't jive for some reason with me...to each their own I guess...at the end of the day we are all brothers and sisters in Islam and should focus on the similarities more than the differences (nod to brother Alirex)...

Masalama

Edited by Abu Umar