Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
alina92

Instagram Question

Rate this topic

I'm curious about everyone's opinions regarding Instagram (or social media in general).

I have Instagram but I don't post loads of pictures because I've been a bit busy these past couple of months as I graduate uni in May. Besides that, life as a student is not all that exciting, so I don't have anything terribly interesting that would be worthy of daily posting. Most the pictures I post are of the weekend, weddings, parties, on holiday, or anything else out of the ordinary. My fiance, though, posts loads of things on his Instagram. Personally, I don't have a problem with that because he's quite sociable and outgoing in person and it stands to reason (at least to me) that he would be that way on social media as well. He also travels quite a bit for his job, so he does have more interesting things to post. 

Recently, a friend of mine tells me that she finds some of the things he posts objectionable (i.e. a pictures at the gym, at the beach, etc.) especially for someone that's already engaged. I don't have a problem with what she was referring to because people still have lives, friends, and interests of their own, even if they're engaged or married. 

What do you guys think? Do you guys think there is anything wrong with posting personal pictures on Instagram if you're engaged, married or otherwise taken?

Edited by alina92

I am socially religious in life. I am trying to upload my picture in people's heart but it need a lot of quality bandwidth which needs special kind of Broad Band.

*Smile*

If he is not showing his necked body which can attract others towards him , then i don't think there is problem. Girls specially need some kind of precuation to be on social site as they are bound with Hijab rule. Same time male side also can not get engaged with Na Mahram girls.

I really don't know actually why people are uploading there Picture posing spike hairs etc, are they sick with inferiority complex ?

Edited by alirex

If your friend thinks his pictures are objectionable, she should not look at them.

As long as he has nothing to hide and you feel ok about it, I don't see why it is anyone else's business.

I have no use for Instagram, but a lot of my friends use it to show off photos of their kids.

What do you guys think? Do you guys think there is anything wrong with posting personal pictures on Instagram if you're engaged, married or otherwise taken?

From an Islamic perspective yes, its wrong even if ur not engaged or married.

Edited by Invoker

^ It seems I was rather vague about the pictures my friend found objectionable. The pictures she found inappropropriate were gym selfies, a few of him surfing or at the beach. He is not completely covered from head to toe but is most definitely not naked in any of them.

Well he is in shorts then, which is still not good especially if he looks like a male doll. He is not completely covered so not good to post them.

Such photos should be discouraged and they are certainly bad but not Haram since he has covered his private parts. Still he should cover his entire self. 

I don't think there is any problem as long as you are decent. People who are offended by such pictures should simply not follow the person posting them. If you are a Muslim it doesn't matter whether you are married or not, you simply shouldn't post indecent pictures of yourself or of others. Otherwise, it's fine by me. I like your outgoing attitude too. I pray to Allah to bless your marriage. 

Thanks for the opinions everyone! :)

If your friend thinks his pictures are objectionable, she should not look at them.

I don't think there is any problem as long as you are decent. People who are offended by such pictures should simply not follow the person posting them. 

My thoughts exactly! I was a bit wary of saying this because I didn't want to come across as impolite but ended up saying it as, frankly, one can only take so much concerned handwringing (before it becomes irritating).  :dry:

Me,my selfie and I....this is a result of growing up in a capitalist-ego-world.

The narcissism (I probably hacked the spelling) that is all over the west is terrible.  I personally shut it all down.  My only social outlet is SC, so thank you all for helping me to keep it halal! :)

The problem is deeper than calling it "western filth;" it is, in my opinion the inevitable consequence of a social order where there is no recognition of Allah Swt and a sense of moral relativism.  There is right and there is wrong, but when we let that be relative to the individual and then we bombard them with marketing and advertisements showing scantily clad people and debauchery, etc and then say that this is happiness and this is success, that's where people go.  It's disgusting, but it is a consequence of an amoral system (some might say immoral and I would agree, but for the purpose of this discussion, I kept it lighter).  People seek happiness in the wrong places and they emulate the wrong people.

Deep inside, I believe all people have the native intention to be and do good.  Sadly the normative cultural values and lack of anything greater than the materialistic leaves so many of our people here in the west horribly adrift and seeking happiness and fulfillment in the wrong places.  :/

(wasalam) 

R