Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ya Mahdi1999

Is It Haram To Be Friends With A Girl?

Rate this topic

Salam, is it haram to just be friends with a girl? What I mean is that in the morning I might run right into a girl from one of my classes and we just have a 1 min friendly talk and share a laugh or 2. Is this permissible or is it haram??

Thanks jazakullah khairan

It is permissible as long as you keep it halal and clean as far I know but what is haram is the boyfriend and girlfriend relationship because it leads to sin according to my marja, Ayatullah Sistani. However, you would be better off asking a marja instead of a layman like me.

That which can lead to haram, is usually considered haram.  So the question becomes, can YOU be "just friends," or are you afraid something more will happen.  If it appears you're moving towards a closer relationship than "just friends," then it would be in your best interest to keep your distance.

Salam, is it haram to just be friends with a girl? What I mean is that in the morning I might run right into a girl from one of my classes and we just have a 1 min friendly talk and share a laugh or 2. Is this permissible or is it haram??

Thanks jazakullah khairan

If there is no danger of falling into sin, its alright. What you describe sounds more like friendly acquaintance than friend. Taking the opposite gender as a close friend in which you spend time alone with them, hug, exchange secrets, and so on, is not allowed.

So it depends on how you define the word friend.

If there is no danger of falling into sin, its alright. What you describe sounds more like friendly acquaintance than friend. Taking the opposite gender as a close friend in which you spend time alone with them, hug, exchange secrets, and so on, is not allowed.

So it depends on how you define the word friend.

It can be a slippery slope.  I remember when I was in high school I had a female friend who I didn't really think was all that good looking, but she was just a friend.  And then one day the teacher rearranged the desks in class and I ended up sitting next to her and talking to her a lot more.  And then one day I realized that I actually like this girl.  She had a boy friend though, so I figured the feeling wasn't mutual, and I just pushed myself to ignore my feelings and we remained normal friends.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235027363-making-friends-at-26/?p=2762310

Copying for easier reference: 

Islamically, no: http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01186/ "Friendship with a non-mahram is not allowed." 

Anecdotally, no:

According to holy Islamic law, any form of interaction between a non-mahram man and woman, whether it is direct or indirect, is impermissible if accompanied with lust, or there is fear of sin taking place. As to interaction in the workplace and professional or educational settings, it is okay, given that all religious boundaries are observed and no corruption is entailed.

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa1110