Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Poll: Banning Iranian Women From Stadiums?

Rate this topic

How can Iran as a nation ban half of its citizens from attending a football match or any sought of sporting event, and still pretend everything is ok? Is there any country in the world besides Iran or Saudi Arabia who ban women from these events? It was with that thought my embarrassment turned to sadness.

I don't believe its written anywhere in Islam, that's women are not allowed to have their presence in stadiums, its not an Islamic law but a rule that has to be changed.

And about the current environment, just because some Iranian men are retarded and not civilised enough doesn't mean Iranian women should be punished and miss out on the enjoyment of watching an exciting game, because of this.

We must find solutions to this problem, like put more security to prevent hooliganism and put tougher controls on fans who are ruining it for everyone, maybe make a gender segregated section or a family section (Similar to Iranian Cinemas) and eventually the behaviour of the fans will change and this would not have to be a problem anymore.

The only reason why some Men are dirty and uncivilized in Iranian stadiums is because its been for so long a Mens only venue, while the introduction and presence of women will caution and remind men about their behaviour at all times.

What do you guys think? Can we eventually solve this problem and change the law?

Edited by Joon777
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not, nor has it ever been, an issue of discrimination.   Going to stadiums in Iran is not some kind of great unknown frontier, and women are not being oppressed and demeaned by not being allow

How about the fact that Iran has had more female vice presidents than the USA? Or that the majority of university students are female? Or that Iranian law makes it compulsory for the husband to provid

Apparently you have never been to a soccer match in any soccer crazed country. Let me take you to azadi stadium once, then let's see if you still have the same goodie two-shoes opinion.  I wouldn't al

• Advanced Member

Women should be banned from anything fun - it is against their nature.

I dont believe it! We r human!

U mean women must just stay at home? So u believe that if men do sin,it s just coz of some bad women??

One Brave Women's Noble Cause

SBS The World Game
By Scott McIntyre

One Iranian woman traveled to Australia not only to support her nation in the 2015 AFC Asian Cup but to raise awareness for a campaign much closer to her heart, the right to watch live matches in her home country.

The tug of emotion and the sharp flash of memory are almost always greater keepsakes than any kind of physical memento.

While it's much easier to measure the 'legacy' of the recent Asian Cup in material terms - through the likes of covered benches - by far the most pressing benefaction is in the joy of having lived something, having experienced something.

For many of those who were here in January, it's the memory of a pass, a goal or a shared moment of exhilaration at a result but for others it was simply the act of being there in the first place.

Nowhere is that more evident than in the case of the large number of Iranian women who flocked to venues in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra to support Team Melli.

The same women who, had the tournament been held in their homeland, would have had to watch on television due to a longstanding ban on female fans at football stadia in Iran.

One of those was Maryam, who travelled from abroad to attend the Asian Cup in support of Iran, and to expose a campaign she's running called 'My Fundamental Right.'

It's a push to allow Iranian women the basic right to attend football matches in her homeland – something which has been forbidden for most of the post-1979 revolution years.

I met Maryam in Sydney at the conclusion of the Asian Cup and to hear her story is to immediately realise the deep injustice of a government policy aimed at ensuring 'security.'

"We're trying simply to get basic rights for women," she said. "There are campaigns but what we're saying is that even in this society with this government, women should be allowed to go to football stadiums.

"This has nothing to do with Islam because there is nothing written about women not being allowed to go to the stadiums and even in other countries like Afghanistan people are allowed to go.

"I asked several clerics about whether women's presence is against Islam and they said no, that's not a law, it's a rule – and that has to be changed."

In a move to raise further awareness for the campaign Maryam traveled to Australia with a banner that she carried from venue to venue, which proclaimed simply, 'Support Iranian Women to Attend Stadiums' – and hundreds of people approached her to pledge their support and be photographed holding the banner.

"I'm not the first to push these issues, many Iranian women have been doing it and many of them have been evicted because they tried to get into the stadiums," she added.

"It's the least thing I can do to promote the campaign so why should I shut my mouth and say nothing."

Alongside the wider campaign was a personal milestone for Maryam as she was able to attend her first match watching Team Melli.

The fact it was against Iraq was even more of a stirring moment.

"I was born in a small town in the south of Iran, very close to the border with Iraq and I was just five years old when the war happened," she explained.

"On the first day our house was destroyed, thankfully we weren't at home, but everyone had to leave the city.

"So growing up as an Iranian kid I always had nightmares about Iraqis and I considered them as monsters because my cousin, my dearest cousin, and my uncle were killed during the war and my father served the army during the war and I always carried the fear of his death.

"I had flashbacks from those days when I was a kid and then I went inside and it was a very intense match and we deserved to win, you know, the referee ... you know!

"But afterwards both Iranians and Iraqis we were standing close to each other and chanting like brothers and sisters and I thought about the whole day that I was afraid of them and the childhood that was destroyed.

"Perhaps there were Iraqis at the match who had the same feelings as I had and yet they stayed together for more than two hours and had a good relationship.

"If the stadium is safe enough for Iranians and Iraqis to stay together, it's safe enough for Iranian women to go inside Iran.

"The Iran/Iraq game was really intense. As you know, one of our players was out of the game and we had to perform with 10 players.

"We believed that we deserved to have won the game, and were very disappointed by the result.

"But after sometime I thought it was ok if that gave a reason for Iraqi children, who haven't experienced anything but war and violence for a long time, to be happy for a few hours."

Growing up – as many young women Iranian do – as an avid football fan, Maryam still dreams of the day that she is able to walk into a stadium in Iran, pick up a banner, perhaps paint her face and watch, sing and support.

"When change will come is unpredictable because we are an unpredictable nation but during the past years we've seen Iranian women achieve so much," she said.

"It's ironic that the first female space tourist was an Iranian woman; we also have another Iranian woman who won the Nobel peace prize, yet we're still are not able to go to stadiums.

"Talking about these things is a sign of progress because it was taboo before that, now people are getting the idea that this is the basic right.

"Imagine you wake up one day and the government tells you, for example, that men in Australia are not allowed to go to, say, the cinema or theatres – what would you feel?"

m2.jpg?itok=JuPTyKsk&mtime=1424410183
Edited by Joon777
  • Advanced Member

As a human being, there are lots of issues related to our humanity, existence, relationship with God, the after world matters etc that we never think of, you know why?

because our mind is already occupied with such nonsense problems.

of course this is my view point, and you might not agree with me.

do not feel offended guy.

• Veteran Member

I dont believe it! We r human!

U mean women must just stay at home? So u believe that if men do sin,it s just coz of some bad women??

Of course!   Being human doesn't equal having fun.  Life is serious.  Women having fun can cause them to have sinful excitement. Women can create a visual and noisy distraction with movement of the chador, possibly laughing out loud and clapping of hands. These women can cause problems for men.  

As a human being, there are lots of issues related to our humanity, existence, relationship with God, the after world matters etc that we never think of, you know why?

It is the little issues that build into bigger issues. Best to stop where we can control things.

• Advanced Member

Of course!   Being human doesn't equal having fun.  Life is serious.  Women having fun can cause them to have sinful excitement. Women can create a visual and noisy distraction with movement of the chador, possibly laughing out loud and clapping of hands. These women can cause problems for men.  

It is the little issues that build into bigger issues. Best to stop where we can control things.

I dunno what Islam says in this case,but I think if both men and women be careful about what they do,then not men nor women will make sin!

I dont agree that just women r stimulant

• Advanced Member

and do you think you can control such things or it is only time consuming struggle

Edited by mahdi servant.01

This is not a nonsense problem. This issue has nothing to do with Islam and its not written anywhere? This is a unfair ban and can be considered discrimination.

I would want my mum, sister (provided she is old enough to make such decisions), wife, etc to make that decision themselves and not by some so called authority that has translated Islam into not letting women go to stadiums!

Edited by Joon777
  • Advanced Member

It s not unfair! Do u like that ur mother,sister,wife go to stadium and men bother them?! Do u like that they hear bad insults??

Dont say that u dunno Iranian boys do so in stadiums!

Even in streets! Can women do what they want?! No. Of course no! Some boys just enjoy of bothering women and laughing to them!

U urself saw those Iranians who came to stadium(for match between Iran and that Arab country which I cant remember!). Didnt they insult to Sayyed Khamenei?!

I dunno if it s true but BBC showed women who protested in front of stadium coz they were not allowed to go and watch Volleyball! How were their hijab and appearance? They wore green clothes! Why?! U know better!

Btw I think Iran does so coz both Islam and politics! But more coz of politics! Women who r from another countries can go to stadiums!

• Advanced Member

as an Iranian girl i support banning women to go to football stadiums.

have you ever  seen captured videos from iranian football matches?

before and after football match , male fans do crazy behaviour. sometimes they attack each other and break glasses and curse with very cheap words.

I wont go to any football stadium, and I advice all Iranian girls to not go there.

but if it is out of Iran, then no problem. 

It s not unfair! Do u like that ur mother,sister,wife go to stadium and men bother them?! Do u like that they hear bad insults??

Dont say that u dunno Iranian boys do so in stadiums!

Even in streets! Can women do what they want?! No. Of course no! Some boys just enjoy of bothering women and laughing to them!

U urself saw those Iranians who came to stadium(for match between Iran and that Arab country which I cant remember!). Didnt they insult to Sayyed Khamenei?!

I dunno if it s true but BBC showed women who protested in front of stadium coz they were not allowed to go and watch Volleyball! How were their hijab and appearance? They wore green clothes! Why?! U know better!

Btw I think Iran does so coz both Islam and politics! But more coz of politics! Women who r from another countries can go to stadiums!

Like I said we must find solutions to this problem, like put more security to prevent hooliganism and put tougher controls on fans who are ruining it for everyone, maybe make a gender segregated section or a family section (Similar to Iranian Cinemas) and eventually the behaviour of the fans will change and this would not have to be a problem anymore.

How come this is not a problem in other countries and even in western countries? Women are not harassed in stadiums in those countries, they are treated normally and equally. Its a minority of retarded Iranian men who are causing the problems, if there is more tight security in stadium there will obviously be less problems.

Edited by Joon777

If it was up to me I would ban both the men and women from stadiums, never have I seen such a waste of time and money to go to a stadium to watch a bunch of men run around for 2 hours hoping to kick a ball into a net and celebrate!

Cmon people, back to your senses.

And relating to women ban. I support it, firstly a stadium with men playing football is not an appropriate place for a woman to be, our religion teaches us to lower our gaze when we see the opposite gender. These women who go to stadiums are doing the opposite, they raise their gaze in order to watch closely the opposite sex. 

Also, I have seen hooligans, their mere sight is filth and they don't look at women as anything more than just meat for sex. So the Iranian government is actually doing these stupid girls a favour by banning them from stadiums.

Edited by Khalilallah

as an Iranian girl i support banning women to go to football stadiums.

have you ever  seen captured videos from iranian football matches?

before and after football match , male fans do crazy behaviour. sometimes they attack each other and break glasses and curse with very cheap words.

I wont go to any football stadium, and I advice all Iranian girls to not go there.

but if it is out of Iran, then no problem. 

Lack of good security and patrolling in Iranian stadiums, which is the problem. Some Iranian men are up to no good and need to be dealt with but most times their not and so the problems keep going on.

Edited by Joon777
  • Forum Administrators

Read my reasons. This ban is just an exaggeration by the government. What protection should it guarantee? Its unfair.

I love the game, but you have to admit those stadiums can be rowdy and not quite safe for ladies.  I'm sure those with agendas will paint this is a "discrimination" issue vs a "safety" issue, which is really what it is.  But if you disagree with that, that's fine. 

How about a better question:  would you take your sister or daughter to a game?  Would you feel they would be safe?

• Moderators

Am I the only one who sees the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags on Maryaam's posts?

I don't really care whether women in Iran are allowed to go to stadia, but it seems to me that if the issue is safety from lowlife thugs, it would make more sense to not allow lowlife thugs to watch the games. However, it certainly is easier to visually identify (most) women, so I suppose that saves the country and therefore the citizens tax dollars to not have to police the audience as well.

• Advanced Member

Hey man! I m sure u wont agree with me!

Those western countries made these problems for us! After revolution they started soft war!

Do our boys,yet, look away when they see a PRETTY girl?! Do they stay away from sins and any haraam relations till marriage?!

Those western countries spread these problems in Iran in the name of modernity! Our dear teenagers think that they r living in a modern way! How?! Without using hijab! How? With have an opposite sex friend! How? With.......

I m not religious! But I know that those western countries dont respect to women at all!! And I m sure about what I said

• Forum Administrators

Likewise.

How do you propose that?  Men and women are going to come together in the same cars.  What do you do?  Drop her off on one end of the stadium, and then you turn around and park on the other side?  Well, that's not really segregated then, since you have to drive over to the other side.  And besides, I don't think men would be comfortable having their female family member alone on the other side of the stadium.  First, its not safe.  And secondly, you're supposed to enjoy the game together. 

In other words, to separate, you have to start mixed and then have a mechanism to separate.

You're just reciting dogma without any real practical policy that helps anybody.   

We just need to tighten the rules in the stadiums, which are unfortunately not in place and need to deal with the hooligans before woman can be permitted freely. Yes this is a issue which is quite exaggerated, is it a religious issue or a safety issue? Its surely can't be too much of a religious issue or its just obvious discrimination, but it is a matter of safety for everyone including women.

At the moment looking at the current situation, I have to be honest I wouldn't want my mother or sister to go to a game in Iran.  Things are not right at the moment and there is not much being done to fix the problems in the stadiums. Unless we can accomplish that, then there is no issue of Women attending games.

Edited by Joon777
  • Advanced Member

How do you propose that?  Men and women are going to come together in the same cars.  What do you do?  Drop her off on one end of the stadium, and then you turn around and park on the other side?  Well, that's not really segregated then, since you have to drive over to the other side.  And besides, I don't think men would be comfortable having their female family member alone on the other side of the stadium.  First, its not safe.  And secondly, you're supposed to enjoy the game together. 

In other words, to separate, you have to start mixed and then have a mechanism to separate.

You're just reciting dogma without any real practical policy that helps anybody.

Lol, I think you misunderstood me; the whole stadium is an area for MEN. So I'm not saying different sections of the stadium for each gender, although that may work, I don't care. Just saying football stadiums are for MEN.

• Moderators

Lol, I think you misunderstood me; the whole stadium is an area for MEN. So I'm not saying different sections of the stadium for each gender, although that may work, I don't care. Just saying football stadiums are for MEN.

Are there separate facilities for women to watch female only games? Or are you saying women in Iran shouldn't enjoy sports at all?

• Forum Administrators

At the moment looking at the current situation, I have to be honest I wouldn't want my mother or sister to go to a game in Iran.  Things are not right at the moment and there is not much being done to fix the problems in the stadiums. Unless we can accomplish that, then there is no issue of Women attending games.

If you admit it, then why this whole outrage?  Throwing words like discrimination pretty irresponsibly.

Look, from a policy standpoint, what would you do?  What's the easier approach?  To change men's behavior or simply stop women from going?  You want extra security?  And possibly take that away from other vital areas in the community?  It's an emotional game, and it sometimes (or often) brings out the animal in people.  Do you want to be held liable for that?

Women can watch the game on TV.  We had a thread about women going to the mosque, with some people arguing that its preferable for women to pray at home.  Following that logic, then women might prefer to watch the game at home too. 

• Advanced Member

Are there separate facilities for women to watch female only games? Or are you saying women in Iran shouldn't enjoy sports at all?

1) TV

2) They could enjoy women sports in women only places, and men shouldn't be allowed in these women sport areas.

Edited by al-Ibrahimi
  • Moderators

2) They could enjoy women sports in women only places, and men shouldn't be allowed in these women sport areas.

Could is speculative. Do "separate but equal" facilities actually exist?

If women are allowed to watch the sports on TV, clearly the issue isn't with the women watching sports or male athletes.

@Magma.I agree with some of stuff your saying. But games in Iran have since always lacked adequate security and patrolling and nothing is still being done about this.

But there seems to be a religious reason, behind the agenda of the government for not letting Women go. And there isn't a really good religious reason for that. But I agree with the safety reasons for not letting them go.

Still a lot of women would still prefer to go to the stadium and watch the match. Anyway, a lot of people both women and men enjoy watching sports on TV instead of going to the actual match, its a choice and women should have that choice.

Edited by Joon777