Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Future Of Biohacking And Bioengineering

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Bismillahi Irrahman Irrahiim

Assalamu aleikum Brothers and sisters in Islam,

I been away for a while, and i have been time to think about biotech´s that are coming soon to our benefits. What kind of philosophical answers we can give if it turns out that we actually can make humanbeings into different species or evolve our bodies to animal likes. What would sharia say about man who has horse´s body and that he is unable to make whutu when he has no hands. Or what would sharia say about marriage between two genderless beings?

We are coming towards new age. So, I think our Ulama must be also be ready to give answers to questions that have never accured before. 

Heres one link about human-animal hybrid law iof Georgia. 

http://therundownlive.com/georgia-human-animal-hybrid-bill-prevents-creation-of-mythological-creatures-such-as-werewolves-and-centaurs/

ps. If you didnt get the idea please ask me to elaborate my point more carefully. Also. Have you any doupts or wonderngs about this subject. Please post them here so we can go deeper into this disgussion.

May Allah bless you all,

wa salam

Ali.

• Basic Members

This is a very interesting topic. These things are definitely worth thinking about, not only to be ready for the future, but also to explore the boundaries and foundations of our beliefs as they are.

However, I think it's worth pointing out that the main goal and benefit of "biohacking" is to develop ways to increase health -- things like reduced cancer risk, longer lifespan, and other such benefits, rather than human-animal hybrids. Splicing together DNA from different animals or plants is a way to create things like food crops with natural pest resistance. We're a long way away from being able to turn someone into a "centaur", which would involve a lot more than just DNA manipulation; I believe the congressman who is pushing this bill is a little confused.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

l think this bill is a reaction to such things as introducing a spider's gene into goat's milk, and other such innovations.

But, then again, in my "mad scientist, psycho-delic" moments, I would like to splice genes from reptiles and farm fowl to create something Cretaceous :shifty:

• Advanced Member

Bismillah,

I have been wondering if 1) persons mind get uploaded to /com.chip then how will sharia see him, her, it? 2) What if we get highly evolved beings with gen theraphy and they will have dogs fur, horns and stuff like that. What will sharia say about them? 3) What is the ruling concidering androids such as protocol droid 3Cpo from Star wars? He looks like human and is capable to speak and learn things. Are thise kind of things halal to produce? 4) Transhumanism idiology says that the point where we stand now in human evolution is not the peak and hight of humanbeings rather its begning to evolve something much higher. Does this contradict with verses of Quran, or hadiths? We believe as muslims that Muhammed (SAAS) where the most evolved?, right, most intelligent being ever lived on earth. Is it right way to say that he was most evolved? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international cultural and intellectual movement with an eventual goal of fundamentally transforming the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to greatlyenhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities.[1] Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations, as well as theethics of developing and using such technologies.[2] The most common thesis put forward is that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the labelposthuman.[1]

So, transhumanism says that those, meaning us who live this age, this type of genes, will eventually be called as posthumans and those who evelolve higher using technology will be called transhumans. 

To the end, please share you thought. I would apreciate it alot.

With Allahs blessings to you all.

massalam.

• Advanced Member

Things like this are already happening in a small scale as you know. Before we discuss the morality of it and the religious repercussions, we need to draw a line where something stops being human and starts being something else. 

As for a research, I don't think we should limit ourselves just because we are scared of the consequences. Maybe, we'll end up with a human species that is not as bizarre as you think. As far a sharia goes, I think laws will apply regardless. We already have people of non-specific gender (they are not allowed to marry unless they are confirmed to be male or female). We already have people with missing limbs. We already have people with extra limbs, heads...etc. You can look up those things, because their issues have already been discussed long time ago. 

What I hope the future will hold for us, is to be able to eliminate genetic diseases after the person is born to abolish the need for abortion. To be able to cure mental retardation and regrow missing limbs and repair skin, without the need to use organ transplantation or any of that. I hope we can integrate technology into our biology, beyond what we have today (pacemakers) in away that we will not need cellphones, internet, chargers and all that. I think the future is brighter that we think and not as scary.

As for hybridisation, I don't think it's ethical to begin with, because they are killing embryos in the process which are human beings in essence, but I don't think they will get as far as we imagine. If Allah intends us to end up with half-humans, we will and then we'll have to fit them in the sharia law. I think the sharia is perfect, so there's no need to worry. I'm not a scholar so I can't really say how those people should live. 

• Advanced Member

What about being half human and half chair... you can sit down wherever you go. lol.

Scientists are already growing human ears on mice to be transplanted to humans. If something is used to fix a problem in the human body, like allowing a crippled person the ability to walk then Islam will probably allow this. But when we start enhancing the baseline of humans, such as allowing humans to go weeks without sleep, superhuman strength, etc. then it becomes a moral dilemma.

I wrote a paper on this in an under-grad philosophy class. I got an A I know what I'm talking about :shifty: especially the half-chair half-human aspect.