Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Jesus Christ Says About Hell

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Hello,

A very kind Muslim is curious about the Christian beliefs concerning hell. This is a great question that many Christians (including me) ask about as well.

It's important to study what Jesus Christ says about "hell" or eternal punishment.

Since many Muslims have an issue with me quoting "long" portions of the Bible, I will quote specific verses. However, context is very important, so it would be good for those interested to read the verses in context.

Jesus Christ is Jewish and he confirmed the Tanakh: the Jewish Scriptures.

Hell is not a Hebrew or Aramaic word.

The Comple Jewish Bible uses more "Jewish" terms than other English translations/versions. Therefore, let us study what Jesus Christ said about what is commonly translated to "hell" in Matthew 5:22

"But I tell you that anyone who nurses anger against his brother will be subject to judgment; that whoever calls his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing!’ will be brought before the Sanhedrin; that whoever says, ‘Fool!’ incurs the penalty of burning in the fire of Gei-Hinnom!" - Matthew 5:22 (CJB)

Gel-Hinnom is a variant for Gehinnom:

"GEHINNOM (Heb. גֵּי בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּי בְנֵי הִנֹּם, גֵּיא בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּיא הִנֹּם; Gr. Γέεννα; "Valley of Ben-Hinnom, Valley of [the Son (s) of] Hinnom," Gehenna), a valley south of Jerusalem on one of the borders between the territories of Judah and Benjamin, between the Valley of *Rephaim and *En-Rogel (Josh. 15:8; 18:16). It is identified with Wadi er-Rababi.

During the time of the Monarchy, Gehinnom, at a place called Topheth, was the site of a cult which involved the burning of children (II Kings 23:10; Jer. 7:31; 32:35 et al.; see *Moloch). Jeremiah repeatedly condemned this cult and predicted that on its account Topheth and the Valley of the Son of Hinnom would be called the Valley of the "Slaughter" (Jer. 19:5–6).

In Judaism the name Gehinnom is generally used as an appellation of the place of torment reserved for the wicked after death. The New Testament used the Greek form Gehenna in the same sense."

- http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0007_0_07128.html

Jesus Christ warned about what "incurs the penalty of burning in the fire of Gei-Hinnom!" (accounted in Matthew 5:22: CJB).

When warning about the importance of not lusting, Jesus Christ stated: "If your right eye makes you sin, gouge it out and throw it away! Better that you should lose one part of you than have your whole body thrown into Gei-Hinnom. And if your right hand makes you sin, cut it off and throw it away! Better that you should lose one part of you than have your whole body thrown into Gei-Hinnom." - Matthew 5:29-30 (CJB)

Followers of Jesus Christ understand that cutting out one's eyes and cutting off one's hands is hyperbole (exagerated form of speech used to teach the importance of something).

Because of this, followers of Jesus Christ do not cut off their body parts but rather are to focus on making sure not to lust. Sadly, many Christians today disobey Jesus' commands not to lust. :(Does this mean that if they don't repent, they will experience the penalty of Gei-Hinnom? God knows.

As for me, I am reponsible to make sure I do not lust or call people "fool" and so on. I don't want to mutlitate myself, and I don't want to be thrown into Gei-Hinnom!!! No thanks! So, obeying Jesus Christ's commands is important to me. :)

Jesus Christ (Yeshua) also said:

Do not fear those who kill the body but are powerless to kill the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both soul and body in Gei-Hinnom. Aren’t sparrows sold for next to nothing, two for an assarion? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s consent. As for you, every hair on your head has been counted. So do not be afraid, you are worth more than many sparrows." - Matthew 10:28-30 (CJB)

Followers of Jesus Christ are not to fear people, but rather are to fear God, our Father. As the parental saying goes, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it." :) Well, God brought us in this world, and God can most definitely destroy us (soul and body) in Gei-Hinnom!

While many Christians today think that Christians are immune from Gei-Hinnom (hell), it is interesting that Jesus is telling his disciples this.

Because of this, I believe a true Christian obeys Jesus Christ and does not try to get away with disobeying the Lord. Sadly, many people call themseves Christians, yet they do not obey Jesus Christ. :( They do not do the will of our Father in Heaven. :(

As Jesus states,

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, only those who do what my Father in heaven wants." - Matthew 7:21  (CJB)

While Jesus Christ does not specifically mention Gei-Hinnom in the following teaching, he does mention eternal punishment for those who do not help other people:

(I boldened some.)

"The King will say to them, ‘Yes! I tell you that whenever you did these things for one of the least important of these brothers of mine, you did them for me!’

“Then he will also speak to those on his left, saying, ‘Get away from me, you who are cursed!

Go off into the fire prepared for the Adversary and his angels! 

For I was hungry and you gave me no food,

thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 

a stranger and you did not welcome me,

needing clothes and you did not give them to me,

sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 

Then they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, thirsty, a stranger, needing clothes, sick or in prison, and not take care of you?’ 

And he will answer them, ‘Yes! I tell you that whenever you refused to do it for the least important of these people, you refused to do it for me!’ 

They will go off to eternal punishment, but those who have done

what God wants will go to eternal life.” - Matthew 25:40-46 (CJB)

That's very powerful, isn't it?

It is so important to love people, no matter their differenes, and help them however we can. In helping others, we "do it for"Jesus Christ. In refusing to help others, we refuse to "do it for" Jesus Christ. Jesus taught that refusing merits eternal punishment.

I have to go now, but if God wills I hope to return to Shiachat next week sometime.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me or another Christian.

Many Christians do believe that non-Christians go to hell. However, I believe it's super important to study what Jesus Christ said concerning "hell" because he is the King who God promised to be on the throne of King David forever (1 Chronicles 17:11-15; Psalm 2:6-7; Psalm 89:26-28; Isaiah 9:5-7; Luke 1:30-35).

Peace and God bless you

• Advanced Member

Hello,

A very kind Muslim is curious about the Christian beliefs concerning hell. This is a great question that many Christians (including me) ask about as well.

It's important to study what Jesus Christ says about "hell" or eternal punishment.

Since many Muslims have an issue with me quoting "long" portions of the Bible, I will quote specific verses. However, context is very important, so it would be good for those interested to read the verses in context.

Jesus Christ is Jewish and he confirmed the Tanakh: the Jewish Scriptures.

Hell is not a Hebrew or Aramaic word.

The Comple Jewish Bible uses more "Jewish" terms than other English translations/versions. Therefore, let us study what Jesus Christ said about what is commonly translated to "hell" in Matthew 5:22

"But I tell you that anyone who nurses anger against his brother will be subject to judgment; that whoever calls his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing!’ will be brought before the Sanhedrin; that whoever says, ‘Fool!’ incurs the penalty of burning in the fire of Gei-Hinnom!" - Matthew 5:22 (CJB)

Gel-Hinnom is a variant for Gehinnom:

"GEHINNOM (Heb. גֵּי בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּי בְנֵי הִנֹּם, גֵּיא בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּיא הִנֹּם; Gr. Γέεννα; "Valley of Ben-Hinnom, Valley of [the Son (s) of] Hinnom," Gehenna), a valley south of Jerusalem on one of the borders between the territories of Judah and Benjamin, between the Valley of *Rephaim and *En-Rogel (Josh. 15:8; 18:16). It is identified with Wadi er-Rababi.

During the time of the Monarchy, Gehinnom, at a place called Topheth, was the site of a cult which involved the burning of children (II Kings 23:10; Jer. 7:31; 32:35 et al.; see *Moloch). Jeremiah repeatedly condemned this cult and predicted that on its account Topheth and the Valley of the Son of Hinnom would be called the Valley of the "Slaughter" (Jer. 19:5–6).

In Judaism the name Gehinnom is generally used as an appellation of the place of torment reserved for the wicked after death. The New Testament used the Greek form Gehenna in the same sense."

- http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0007_0_07128.html

Jesus Christ warned about what "incurs the penalty of burning in the fire of Gei-Hinnom!" (accounted in Matthew 5:22: CJB).

When warning about the importance of not lusting, Jesus Christ stated: "If your right eye makes you sin, gouge it out and throw it away! Better that you should lose one part of you than have your whole body thrown into Gei-Hinnom. And if your right hand makes you sin, cut it off and throw it away! Better that you should lose one part of you than have your whole body thrown into Gei-Hinnom." - Matthew 5:29-30 (CJB)

Followers of Jesus Christ understand that cutting out one's eyes and cutting off one's hands is hyperbole (exagerated form of speech used to teach the importance of something).

Because of this, followers of Jesus Christ do not cut off their body parts but rather are to focus on making sure not to lust. Sadly, many Christians today disobey Jesus' commands not to lust. :(Does this mean that if they don't repent, they will experience the penalty of Gei-Hinnom? God knows.

As for me, I am reponsible to make sure I do not lust or call people "fool" and so on. I don't want to mutlitate myself, and I don't want to be thrown into Gei-Hinnom!!! No thanks! So, obeying Jesus Christ's commands is important to me. :)

Jesus Christ (Yeshua) also said:

Do not fear those who kill the body but are powerless to kill the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both soul and body in Gei-Hinnom. Aren’t sparrows sold for next to nothing, two for an assarion? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s consent. As for you, every hair on your head has been counted. So do not be afraid, you are worth more than many sparrows." - Matthew 10:28-30 (CJB)

Followers of Jesus Christ are not to fear people, but rather are to fear God, our Father. As the parental saying goes, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it." :) Well, God brought us in this world, and God can most definitely destroy us (soul and body) in Gei-Hinnom!

While many Christians today think that Christians are immune from Gei-Hinnom (hell), it is interesting that Jesus is telling his disciples this.

Because of this, I believe a true Christian obeys Jesus Christ and does not try to get away with disobeying the Lord. Sadly, many people call themseves Christians, yet they do not obey Jesus Christ. :( They do not do the will of our Father in Heaven. :(

As Jesus states,

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, only those who do what my Father in heaven wants." - Matthew 7:21  (CJB)

While Jesus Christ does not specifically mention Gei-Hinnom in the following teaching, he does mention eternal punishment for those who do not help other people:

(I boldened some.)

"The King will say to them, ‘Yes! I tell you that whenever you did these things for one of the least important of these brothers of mine, you did them for me!’

“Then he will also speak to those on his left, saying, ‘Get away from me, you who are cursed!

Go off into the fire prepared for the Adversary and his angels! 

For I was hungry and you gave me no food,

thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 

a stranger and you did not welcome me,

needing clothes and you did not give them to me,

sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 

Then they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, thirsty, a stranger, needing clothes, sick or in prison, and not take care of you?’ 

And he will answer them, ‘Yes! I tell you that whenever you refused to do it for the least important of these people, you refused to do it for me!’ 

They will go off to eternal punishment, but those who have done

what God wants will go to eternal life.” - Matthew 25:40-46 (CJB)

That's very powerful, isn't it?

It is so important to love people, no matter their differenes, and help them however we can. In helping others, we "do it for"Jesus Christ. In refusing to help others, we refuse to "do it for" Jesus Christ. Jesus taught that refusing merits eternal punishment.

I have to go now, but if God wills I hope to return to Shiachat next week sometime.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me or another Christian.

Many Christians do believe that non-Christians go to hell. However, I believe it's super important to study what Jesus Christ said concerning "hell" because he is the King who God promised to be on the throne of King David forever (1 Chronicles 17:11-15; Psalm 2:6-7; Psalm 89:26-28; Isaiah 9:5-7; Luke 1:30-35).

Peace and God bless you

Salam Alaykum

Public idea about being immune from the hell and hereafter punishment just by believe in Jesus Christ without action is not accepted according to bible. Bible explicitly stated that   action is very important and the only way to reach happiness and prosperity in the next world '' What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?'' ''Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food'' ''If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? ''In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead'' ''But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." ''Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder'' ''You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?'' ''Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?'' ''You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did'' ''And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend'' ''You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone'' (James-2- 14-24)

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam Alaykum

Public idea about being immune from the hell and hereafter punishment just by believe in Jesus Christ without action is not accepted according to bible. Bible explicitly stated that action is very important and the only way to reach happiness and prosperity in the next world '' What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?'' ''Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food'' ''If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? ''In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead'' ''But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." ''Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder'' ''You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?'' ''Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?'' ''You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did'' ''And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend'' ''You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone'' (James-2- 14-24)

Protestants are the only ones that believe in Faith Alone and no good works are needed (i.e. action etc).

Catholics and Orthodox agree with your statement above so dont take what she said to be representative of all Christians.

• Basic Members

I always hear the claim that the Qur'an mentions hell too much. (and let's just say I'll accept this claim)

However, on the other side, I think the New Testament mentions it too little. Only 2 lines? heh.  Not enough fear. As Psalm 110:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"

But I digress. I enjoyed your post. And for the record, I don't see Christianity and Islam as competing. I kinda see both faith traditions as yin and yang. Islam is the confident father and Christianity is the loving mother. We need both.

• Advanced Member

I always hear the claim that the Qur'an mentions hell too much. (and let's just say I'll accept this claim)

However, on the other side, I think the New Testament mentions it too little. Only 2 lines? heh.  Not enough fear. As Psalm 110:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"

But I digress. I enjoyed your post. And for the record, I don't see Christianity and Islam as competing. I kinda see both faith traditions as yin and yang. Islam is the confident father and Christianity is the loving mother. We need both.

Well said

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

However, on the other side, I think the New Testament mentions it too little. Only 2 lines?

Hello Neostar,

I'm sorry. I forgot this thread.

Jesus mentions hell more than 2 times. Please search hell in the Bible. However, it's important to understand the Jewish concept of hell, not the Roman concept which comes from pagan thought.

.  Not enough fear. As Psalm 110:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"

It is very important to fear God. One of the many times Jesus refers to hell, he talks about the importance of fearing God:  (I boldened some.)

“So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care" - Matthew 10:26-29 (NIV)

But I digress. I enjoyed your post.

Thanks. :)

And for the record, I don't see Christianity and Islam as competing. I kinda see both faith traditions as yin and yang. Islam is the confident father and Christianity is the loving mother. We need both.

I do not see them in that way.

Peace and God bless you

Edited by Christianlady

• Veteran Member

Protestants are the only ones that believe in Faith Alone and no good works are needed (i.e. action etc).

Catholics and Orthodox agree with your statement above so dont take what she said to be representative of all Christians.

Hello Shreek,

I am a Protestant, and I do not believe in Faith alone. I do believe good works are needed. I believe that faith is shown through obedience to Jesus Christ. Loving neighbors as oneself and loving enemies includes good actions and faith.

Peace and God bless you.

• Advanced Member

Hello Shreek,

I am a Protestant, and I do not believe in Faith alone. I do believe good works are needed. I believe that faith is shown through obedience to Jesus Christ. Loving neighbors as oneself and loving enemies includes good actions and faith.

Peace and God bless you.

Well then you're not a Protestant at all. :)

I really don't think you are aware of the most important doctrine of Protestantism. It is the Doctrine by which Protestantism survives or fails (according to Luther).

Sola Fide (Justification by Faith (Alone)) with Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone) were the defining beliefs that severed Luther and others from the Church. These are the foundational pillars of Protestantism.

I believe you are confusing Salvation with Justification, both very very different things.

• Veteran Member

Well then you're not a Protestant at all. :)

I really don't think you are aware of the most important doctrine of Protestantism. It is the Doctrine by which Protestantism survives or fails (according to Luther).

Sola Fide (Justification by Faith (Alone)) with Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone) were the defining beliefs that severed Luther and others from the Church. These are the foundational pillars of Protestantism.

I believe you are confusing Salvation with Justification, both very very different things.

Hello Shreek,

If you ask my Catholic friends, they will assure you I am 100% Protestant, and that I like protesting. :) Thank God, my Catholic friends and I love each other and we would never dream of hurting each other, while horribly the history of Catholicism and Protestantism includes Catholics and Protestants killing each other, disobeying Jesus Christ's commands to love. :(

As for Luther, I am not a Lutheran. I do not follow Luther and I disagree with him in a lot of areas.  It makes me sad that he wrote horrible things about Jewish people.

Peace and God bless you

• Moderators

“So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care" - Matthew 10:26-29 (NIV)

Jesus [a] said that very beautifully. Humanbeing fears because of unsatisfied of change, or that which he holds delightful (be it belief, or object or event) is being mistreated. But the wise man realize that in the end all is in hand of God. It is the God who allow it or not, so actually it is The God we should fear the first and mostly.