Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shia Imami Ismaili + Sunni Mix Family

Rate this topic

Ali4u

• Basic Members

Dear Brothers i Need ur help regarding my life decision 

i was born in shia ismaili family .my father is not alive. we are 2 brothers and one sister .. my brother and sister have done love marriage with deobandi family ( pathan ) now they want me to convert to sunni islam (deobandi) ..... my mother and me are still shia imami ismaili muslim ... now i am confused to which sect i would marry . if i marry can i will be strong in my faith . and or if i get revert may be my divorce will be held due to this issue.

i was born in shia ismaili family .my father is not alive. we are 2 brothers and one sister .. my brother and sister have done love marriage with deobandi family ( pathan ) now they want me to convert to sunni islam (deobandi) ..... my mother and me are still shia imami ismaili muslim ... now i am confused to which sect i would marry . if i marry can i will be strong in my faith . and or if i get revert may be my divorce will be held due to this issue.

Salaam dear brother in Islam,

I am sorry to learn about the loss of your father.  May Allah (s.w.t.) have mercy upon him.  Your question is a challenging one.  You will receive (inshAllah) many good answers from the brothers here at SC.  Bar none, this is one of the most knowledgable groups I have had the pleasure to find.  With that said, I have to preface by saying that I am not a scholar and I would not presume to offer a legal ruling on the matter.

My thought is this: you should not make any decision about your ʿAqīdah without beseeching Allah (s.w.t.) to guide you.  Secondly, one should never make a decision such as this for any reason other than a sincere effort to arrive at the truth.  If you find that you are honestly convinced of the truth of the Isma'ili beliefs, then you cannot change them simply for a marriage.  I encourage you to explore and to learn more about other schools of thought in Islam.  Only seek scholarly and reputable sources, of course, but make intention to seek the truth and ask Allah (s.w.t.) to guide you.

In my own life, I was Christian, but I became convinced that it could not be true, so I investigated Islam and after literally years of consideration and soul searching, I accepted Islam.  The more I learned, the more I felt that my chosen path in Islam (which was Sunni, specifically the Hanafi school) was not entirely correct, so alhamdulillah I read and learned more and now follow the Ja'fari school of Islam (otherwise known as the Twelver school).  My point is that sometimes life puts things in front of us that necessitate that we change course, but we must always do so for the right reason.  To me, the right reason can only be to seek the truth in order to earn the pleasure of Allah (s.w.t.).  But as I said, I am no scholar and Allahu`Alim.

May Allah (s.w.t.) guide you to truth and happiness!

(wasalam)

R

• Veteran Member

Marriage should not be the deciding factor for your religion. As advised by reisiger, you should research all the different sects before you decide which one is the right path, according to your research. It can be a combination of different sects, too. Marriage can wait.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

How old are you ?

• 5 months later...