Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-F

Should I Quit My Job

(bismillah)  

(salam)

I need advices regarding my current situation regarding my job. I work in a grocery, where I mostly have to put different kinds of foods in cold-counters. This could be halal food, but also pork and non-halal meat. Nevertheless, this is halal according to Sayed al-Sistani (ha).

However, in my job, I also do other things which is (some of it) halal, and some I do not know. I have written to www.sistani.org and likewise www.najaf.org but the latter of the two do not give me a sufficent answer, and maybe www.sistani.org won't answer me. I don't know.

So, I am stuck in a tiny box, where I don't know if what I am doing is permissible or not. (I am quite sure it's, but I do not want to do qiyas).

My mother is not happy with me working with the meat. I understand this, because I don't either.

In addition to this, I feel that I actually don't like this job. I am not joyful or delighted that I am working at this grocery. I would actually be delighted if I did not work there anymore. And, it's soon Sharh' Ramadhan, and I do not want to work in such place (if it's not allowed) when it's Shahr' Ramadhan. 

My contract is until 31. of July, 2015. So it's actually quite soon.

However, I do not know what I should quite do? Should I quit the job? Should I contact my boss and tell him my situation, or should I first of all get my parents to understand me, so that they would support me if I would quit?

And I ask Allah, the Great, to forgive me.

(wasalam)

Dont quit work and keep looking for new work till your contact expires.

Sistani can provide you reasonable rulings but he can't pay your bills.

God understands our reasons more than our fellow humans. If in need donkey meat can become halal for you. if in need the thief is pardoned for stealing. if in need adultery can be pardoned for hunger .. you know that is the real god with prophet and imams!

This.

If you hate the job, definitely look for another, but don't quit until you have a better offer.

Guest silasun

Dearest brother Ali-f 

Salaamun alaykum

If your job involves performing haraam deeds, then you must stop working there and purify your money if it was earned in a haraam way (consult the scholars on this).

We must also note that when we don't know if something is haraam or not, then we cannot perform this action until we get told it is halaal to do this action.

You have to also bear in mind that as Muslims, we have to honour our contracts with other people (you can refer to your contract to see what it says on this matter).

Also, we should note that it is haraam to cause the parents distress. The reply I post is from the Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei. But the ruling is the same for Ayatollah Sistani (I have posted the ruling at the bottom of this). 

Bearing all of this into mind, then you must make the decision. You did not post all personal details on the matter (which is a good thing) so we can't say absolutely do x or y. By the way, the person answering this is a certain brother of yours from a land slightly south east to where you are from!! (you can send an e-mail if you wanted!!! :P )

Bismihi Ta`ala

Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
Although taking part in the Quds rally is not obligatory, veneration of Islamic rites is the duty of all Muslims males and females. To perform any action which would enforce Islam and weaken the infidelity is advisable and rewarded in shar`. By the way, it is not obligatory to obey one’s parents. But hurting or annoying them is haraam unless performing obligatory practices or refraining from haraam acts is involved.
With prayers for your success 
salaamun alaykum
is it wajib to participate in the al quds protests if a person's mother forbids them going to the protest?

wasalaam
Edited by silasun

God understands our reasons more than our fellow humans. If in need donkey meat can become halal for you. if in need the thief is pardoned for stealing. if in need adultery can be pardoned for hunger .. you know that is the real god with prophet and imams!

Heck are you talking, akhi? Are you saying that even though a thing is haram, you can do it? Please correct me.

This.

If you hate the job, definitely look for another, but don't quit until you have a better offer.

This is not the exact problem.

Some of the job may be haram. Therefore, it must be dissected throughly. 

Dearest brother Ali-f 

Salaamun alaykum

If your job involves performing haraam deeds, then you must stop working there and purify your money if it was earned in a haraam way (consult the scholars on this).

We must also note that when we don't know if something is haraam or not, then we cannot perform this action until we get told it is halaal to do this action.

You have to also bear in mind that as Muslims, we have to honour our contracts with other people (you can refer to your contract to see what it says on this matter).

Also, we should note that it is haraam to cause the parents distress. The reply I post is from the Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei. But the ruling is the same for Ayatollah Sistani (I have posted the ruling at the bottom of this). 

Bearing all of this into mind, then you must make the decision. You did not post all personal details on the matter (which is a good thing) so we can't say absolutely do x or y. By the way, the person answering this is a certain brother of yours from a land slightly south east to where you are from!! (you can send an e-mail if you wanted!!! :P )

Bismihi Ta`ala

Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
Although taking part in the Quds rally is not obligatory, veneration of Islamic rites is the duty of all Muslims males and females. To perform any action which would enforce Islam and weaken the infidelity is advisable and rewarded in shar`. By the way, it is not obligatory to obey one’s parents. But hurting or annoying them is haraam unless performing obligatory practices or refraining from haraam acts is involved.
With prayers for your success 
salaamun alaykum

is it wajib to participate in the al quds protests if a person's mother forbids them going to the protest?

wasalaam

Ahsant.

Since you want to quit your job, you are allowed to leave before your contract expires, but according to good manners you have the responsibility to give your boss time to find another worker. Some businesses ask that you give them 30 days notice that you will leave. Other businesses ask for 2 weeks notice. Please don't quit your job and walk out. As a Muslim you don't want your boss to think Muslims are people who are not dependable. Just tell your boss what day you will be leaving in the future. You might be asked to show someone else how to do your job. Etc.

Since you want to quit your job, you are allowed to leave before your contract expires, but according to good manners you have the responsibility to give your boss time to find another worker. Some businesses ask that you give them 30 days notice that you will leave. Other businesses ask for 2 weeks notice. Please don't quit your job and walk out. As a Muslim you don't want your boss to think Muslims are people who are not dependable. Just tell your boss what day you will be leaving in the future. You might be asked to show someone else how to do your job. Etc.

Indeed. Now, because there're some situations I don't know if I could do or not I can't just leave - even though I want. Maybe such situations may be halal for me.

Just a side question here.

Is there really any job on this Earth where somebody wont face some kind of personal dilemma, especially if are religious?  Sure, there are clear blatant examples like handling liqour, but I am talking about plenty of other ones where outwardly it might seem less clear. 

You could be working at a place where they sell things that harm people.  Or is an environment full of backbiting.  Or just a place that drains one's soul.  How about those?

And not everyone can avoid or leave, because they have no alternatives.  They have to support and provide for themselves, if not others. 

This could be halal food, but also pork and non-halal meat. Nevertheless, this is halal according to Sayed al-Sistani (ha).

I really don't think it is.

Is there really any job on this Earth where somebody wont face some kind of personal dilemma, especially if are religious?  Sure, there are clear blatant examples like handling liqour, but I am talking about plenty of other ones where outwardly it might seem less clear. 

You could be working at a place where they sell things that harm people.  Or is an environment full of backbiting.  Or just a place that drains one's soul.  How about those?

And not everyone can avoid or leave, because they have no alternatives.  They have to support and provide for themselves, if not others. 

I really wish scholars gave us more guidance on these matters. 

I really don't think it is.

Yes it is. I wrote to www.najaf.org AND www.sistani.org 

Najafs answer was the same as www.sistani.org, but I think my question was only on pork when I wrote to www.sistani.org

Now, why do you think it isn't allowed?

Yes it is. I wrote to www.najaf.org AND www.sistani.org 

Najafs answer was the same as www.sistani.org, but I think my question was only on pork when I wrote to www.sistani.org

Now, why do you think it isn't allowed?

Can you paste the evidence?

Look here: http://www.al-islam.org/a-code-of-practice-for-muslims-in-the-west-ayatullah-sistani/work-investment

All indications are that it is not allowed. 

I remember asking about these matters when I was a student. 

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Can you paste the evidence?

Look here: http://www.al-islam.org/a-code-of-practice-for-muslims-in-the-west-ayatullah-sistani/work-investment

All indications are that it is not allowed. 

I remember asking about these matters when I was a student. 

In the Name of God, the Most High

Your income is halal.

May Allah grant you success.

www.sistani.org

Board of Istifta - Office of His Eminence, Al-Sayyid Ali Al-Sistani

Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:51 PM

To: Istifta Section - Office of His Eminence Al-Sayyid Ali Al-Husseini Al-Sistani

Subject:

Name: Ali

Email: ******************

your tracking number: 273690

Subject: 

—————————

Question: Salam alaykum

In my job I place pork in cold counters, however, I do not sell them nor do I serve them for non-Muslims. 

What's the view of Sayed Sistani (ha) regarding this.

So, this is halal.

Now, I worked and I probably had this feeling or thoughts that I was promoting that which is forbidden. So, if this "thought" is true, I can apparently not work there. And Allah (swt) knows best.

I,  by the grace of God, asked my father regarding this issue with my job, and he said that I should ask my "boss". If he said no, I should leave. Now, I think he probably said that I should ask if I could be changed to a new job in that grocery.

It could be that they made no further assumptions. I.e. they don't know why you are putting the pork into the counters.

Interesting point, akhi. That does actually support me claim that my work is not halal. Jazzakallah khayr. 

I will ask them though, but as I said above, I will, inshallah, speak with my boss and see what he says. 

In every Job there is a Haram or Halal I don't see any thing at all in this world which does not involve questioning. It is up to us to make a choice to avoid the Haram.

In every Job there is a Haram or Halal I don't see any thing at all in this world which does not involve questioning. It is up to us to make a choice to avoid the Haram.

Ahh... maybe not in every job.

For instance, you can work as a phone-interviewer. 

You will be talking to na-mahrams and more. 

Yeah, thats called real life.  99.9% of people have to interact with others as part of their job, and surprise, they tend to not be blood relatives. 

I guess a completely halal job would be to lock yourself at home and sell hand made prayer rugs through your online business.  And you sell it only to old men.  That's 100% guilt free. 

Yeah, thats called real life.  99.9% of people have to interact with others as part of their job, and surprise, they tend to not be blood relatives. 

I guess a completely halal job would be to lock yourself at home and sell hand made prayer rugs through your online business.  And you sell it only to old men.  That's 100% guilt free. 

Your constant complaining is becoming a part of your nature brother, please stop complaining before it takes hold of you and makes you a nuisance to be around.

What I meant was that even talking to na mahrams has conditions and under certain conditions it is haram so even talking on the phone has a test.

Edited by Khalilallah

Your constant complaining is becoming a part of your nature brother, please stop complaining before it takes hold of you and makes you a nuisance to be around.

What I meant was that even talking to na mahrams has conditions and under certain conditions it is haram so even talking on the phone has a test.

I'm not complaining about anything here.  But I am tired of the word "haram" being flown around so loosely.  You know, its a pretty strong word, yet I hear it nonstop.  Everyday.  Haram this.  Haram that. 

Do I understand God's commands and says something shouldnt be done?  I think I do.  But I feel we humans use it as a card to put each other down.  We use to enforce our power other others, to judge them, and to control them.  That's what I get tired of. 

I'm not complaining about anything here.  But I am tired of the word "haram" being flown around so loosely.  You know, its a pretty strong word, yet I hear it nonstop.  Everyday.  Haram this.  Haram that. 

Do I understand God's commands and says something shouldnt be done?  I think I do.  But I feel we humans use it as a card to put each other down.  We use to enforce our power other others, to judge them, and to control them.  That's what I get tired of. 

Yep.  

There is a difference between "haram" and "should be avoided if it is likely to lead to sin".  People are so eager to turn off their minds.

Almost any job is permitted (maybe any job is permitted) in a case of necessity.  If a person hates their job, it becomes quite soul-draining.  Why in the world would anyone who doesn't need to work endure that?  But the job market is tough; I'd never encourage anyone who needs a job to quit their job without another lined up.  

Khalikhali: Are you saying that speaking with non-mahram is haram? Heck, then we shouldn't go to school.

notme: You said "There is a difference between "haram" and "should be avoided if it is likely to lead to sin".

I disagree. We're not mutjahids. Our maraja have permitted and forbidden different kinds of work. If they say it's halal then it's halal, and if they say it's forbidden, then it's forbidden. That's the true deen.

Selling pork is not allowed = forbidden.

Selling ice cream  is allowed = permitted.

There're lots of halal jobs.

And as Allah (swt) have said that he's the Sustainer.

Besides this, the marja, Ayatollah Saed al-Hakim (ha) says: 

It is regretful to see nowadays many of practicing believers who enter into transactions and then ask about the ruling applicable to it. Thus, one finds himself in a Sharia-related problem which is difficult to resolve and to dispose of its consequences. He could have avoided this by first asking before the action, understanding the Sharia before being in such a situation. We plead to the most Praised One for success and guidance; surely He suffices us.

(His website).

I didn't say there is no halal job and no haram job. I said there are things which are permitted in the case of necessity, and also some things which are only haram if there is risk of sin.

If a job is necessary for you, find another. Meanwhile, necessity allows you to continue this one. If you only want, not need, to work, why would you even consider staying at a job which you think has parts that are haram?

If a job is necessary for you, find another. Meanwhile, necessity allows you to continue this one. If you only want, not need, to work, why would you even consider staying at a job which you think has parts that are haram?

Interesting point. I totally agree. My job is not a necessity, and even though I don't know yet if there're things which may be haram, I should stop working there, and find a job which does not have to do with pork.

Edited by Ali-F

Yep.  

There is a difference between "haram" and "should be avoided if it is likely to lead to sin".  People are so eager to turn off their minds.

That's my point.  There is a huge difference between the two.  To the label the later as the former might seem like a protective or cautious measure, but it really it just forces an absolute onto a relative.  And we can see the consequences of that in people's lives. 

We were given minds to think and assess.  We are not programmed robots.