Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ummi of Ummah

List Of Islamic Prophets In Chronological Order

Rate this topic

1. Adam: Fl. 4000+ BC [1]

2. Idris: Fl. Late 5th millennium - early 4th millennium.

3. Noah: Fl. ??

4. Hud: Fl. ??

5. Salih: Fl. ??

6: Abraham, Ismail, Lot, Isaac: Fl. 2000+ BC.

7. Jacob and Joseph: Fl. ??

8. Shoayb: Fl. ??

9: Job: Fl. Traditional view is that he was born after Abraham, historical view is that he is more than 4000 years old.

10. Aaron: Fl. (mythical figure, he was never born, he was invented).

11. Moses: Fl. (mythical figure, nothing to support his authenticity, most historians dispute his existence).

12. David, Samoel, Solomon. Fl. 1000 BC

13. Luqman: Fl. He was a contemporary to David.

14. Elias and Elisha: Fl. 800 BC.

15. Jonah: Fl. 740s BC.

16. Isaiah: Fl. 740s BC.

17. Daniel: Fl. 600+ BC

18. Zecheriah: 1st century BC.

19. John the Baptist/Yahya ibn Zakkariyya: B. Late 1st century BC. He died 31 AD, meaning he was only about 36 years old when he died, I think.

20. Jesus: B. 6 BC (He was born 6 years before himself!)

21. Muhammad. B. 570 AD.

Do anyone have more accurate data? What are your comments on this? Please discuss.

There is ancient Egyptian evidence of a monotheistic pharoah who was later disgraced, Hebrew slaves, of a "slave revolt", and of plagues ending with the death of the last pharoah of his lineage. It is as good a historical evidence of Moses and Aaron as one might hope to find, and stronger historical evidence than many other prophets.

I'm not sure how you claim historical verification of Adam but not Moses.

Dhu'l Kifl AS, Prophet Ezekiel.

We don't know for sure that he is Ezekiel. What are the chances and why would you relate him to that? Since he is a prophet not mentioned elsewhere, we think that it's best to not include him as we will never know. 

Dhu'l Kifl AS is mentioned in the Holy Qur'an.

38:48 And remember Ismail and Al-Yasha and Zulkifl; and they were all of the best.

Common knowledge says Prophet Ezekiel is Dhu'l Kifl AS. See Prophets in Islam at wikipedia.

Holy Qur'an 21:85 And Ismail and Idris and Zulkifl; all were of the patient ones;

Holy Qur'an 21:86 And We caused them to enter into Our mercy, surely they were of the good ones.

17. Daniel: Fl. 600+ BC

Do anyone have more accurate data? What are your comments on this? Please discuss.

(wasalam)

Danial is not a prophet According to our Authentic narration. If you like I can post them. 

Prophet Daniel AS is buried in Khuzestan, Iran. There is a saying by Imam Ali AS:

"Making ziyarat of Prophet Daniel AS is the same as making ziyarat of me."

(wasalam)

Danial is not a prophet According to our Authentic narration. If you like I can post them. 

Sorry, that May have come out wrong. What I meant to say is: "There may be doubt".

(wasalam)

(salam)

Prophet Daniel AS is buried in Khuzestan, Iran. There is a saying by Imam Ali AS:
"Making ziyarat of Prophet Daniel AS is the same as making ziyarat of me."

Please, before quoting a narration, check its origin to avoid misguidance. Now, if you may, please provide the name of book, Author, Page #. Second, we have authentic (Sahih) narrations that show or portray Danial not being a prophet.  

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه وعدة من أصحابنا ، عن سهل بن زياد جميعا ، عن ابن محبوب ، عن أبي حمزة ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال إن الله عز وجل أوحى إلى داود عليه‌السلام أن ائت عبدي دانيال فقل له إنك عصيتني فغفرت لك وعصيتني فغفرت لك وعصيتني فغفرت لك فإن أنت عصيتني الرابعة لم أغفر لك فأتاه داود عليه‌السلام فقال يا دانيال إنني رسول الله إليك وهو يقول لك إنك عصيتني فغفرت لك وعصيتني فغفرت لك وعصيتني فغفرت لك فإن أنت عصيتني الرابعة لم أغفر لك فقال له دانيال قد أبلغت يا نبي الله فلما كان في السحر قام دانيال فناجى ربه فقال يا رب إن داود نبيك أخبرني عنك أنني قد عصيتك فغفرت لي وعصيتك فغفرت لي وعصيتك فغفرت لي وأخبرني عنك أنني إن عصيتك الرابعة لم تغفر لي فو عزتك لئن لم تعصمني لأعصينك ثم لأعصينك ثم لأعصينك.

11-Ali b. Ibrahim, from His father and number from his companions  from: Sah'll b. Ziyad, altogether From: Ibn Mahb'ob, From Abi Hamza, From Abi Ja'far (a.s) said: "That Allah (عز وجل) revealed to Dawood (a.s), "Go to my servant Danial and say to him, that you have disobeyed me, so I forgave you. And (again) you disobeyed me, so I forgave you. And (again) you disobeyed me, so I forgave you. So if you disobey me the fourth time, I will not forgive you". So, then Dawood (a.s) came to him and said: "O Danial I am the Messenger of Allah to you, and he says to you: "You have disobeyed me, so I forgave you, And (again) you disobeyed me, so I forgave you, And (again) you disobeyed me, so I forgave you, So if you disobey me the fourth time, I will not forgive you". So Danial Said to him: " You have delivered O Prophet of Allah". So, when he (Danial) was in the Sahh'er (End of the night, Before Fajr), He stood up and called to his lord, so he said: "O Lord, your prophet Dawood has told me about you: That I have disobeyed you, so you forgave me, and I disobeyed you, so you forgave me, and I disobeyed you, so you forgave me. And he told me about you: That, if I disobey you the fourth time, you will not forgive me. So by your superiority, if you do not protect me (from sin), I will disobey you, and then disobey you, and then disobey you".

• Source: Al-Kafī, Volume #4, Chapter (#191) of Repentance (بَابُ التَّوْبَةِ‌), Narration #11.

Grading:

• ​Al-Majlisi: Hassan Like the Sahih (حسن كالصحيح). -> Mir'aat Al-Uq'ool, Vol#11, Page#305.
  • Al-Muhsini: Mutabar (Reliable) -> Mujam Al-Ahadith Al-Mutabara, Vol#1, Page#432.

Does anyone know an Authentic narration or verse concerning whether he was a prophet or not? Anyone?

Edited by Jaafar Al-Shibli

A narration in Support of Danial being a Prophet (a.s):

ـ علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن هارون بن مسلم ، عن مسعدة بن صدقة ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال النبي صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله أكرموا الخبز فإنه قد عمل فيه ما بين العرش إلى الأرض وما فيها من كثير من خلقه ثم قال لمن حوله ألا أخبركم قالوا بلى يا رسول الله فداك الآباء والأمهات فقال إنه كان نبي فيمن كان قبلكم يقال له دانيال

2- Ali b. Ibrahim, From his father, From Har'oon b. Muslem, From Mas'ada'h b. Sadq'ah, From Abi-Abdullah (a.s) said:" Said the Prophet of Allah (s.a.w.w.s): " Be respectable/generous with bread. For it has been acted with (in), between the Arsh to the earth and what's in it, from many of his creations". Then he said to those whom where around him: "Shall I tell you (of something)"? They said: "Yes O Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.w.s) may the fathers and mothers be sacrificed for you". So he (s.a.w.w.s) said: "There was a prophet, who was before you. He was called Danial....( and the narration is long)...."

Source:

• Al-Kafi, Vol#6, Chapter (فضل الخبز) merits of bread, Pg.301.

Grading:

• This narration would be graded as Weak by Al-Majlisi -> Mir'at Al-Uq'ool, Vol#22, Pg.120.
  • However, In fact this Had'eeth is Hassan because Haaroon bin Muslim is getting from the books of Mas’adah bin Ziyaad and Mas’adah bin Sadaqah, as stated by Sayyid al-Khu’ee in his Mu’jam al-Rijaal (Person #12304) Both are Trustworthy (Thiqah). So we have to go either with the benefit of the doubt and say it was from both of their books, or there was an error in writing the name. We believe it was an error in transcription. This is because Shaykh Hurr al-‘Aamilee puts this narration in his book under the same isnaad with Mas’adah bin Ziyaad. He says, “And the narration of Shaykh (Toosee) by his isnaad from Muhammad bin Ya’qoob (Kulaynee) likewise,” after mentioning the narration in Al-Kaafee, which is narrated by Mas’adah bin Ziyaad. (Well put by: Nader).

So don't add Prophet Ezekiel to your list. You still have to add Dhu'l Kifl AS.

No, listen to what I'm saying, other than two verses, we know virtually nothing about Dhul-Kifl, when was he born? Where was he born? Firstly, who is he?

I chose not to include him due to his empty character.

Please, before quoting a narration, check its origin to avoid misguidance. Now, if you may, please provide the name of book, Author, Page #. Second, we have authentic (Sahih) narrations that show or portray Danial not being a prophet.  

11-Ali b. Ibrahim, from His father and number from his companions  from: Sah'll b. Ziyad, altogether From: Ibn Mahb'ob, From Abi Hamza, From Abi Ja'far (a.s) said: "That Allah (عز وجل) revealed to Dawood (a.s), "Go to my servant Danial and say to him, that you have disobeyed me, so I forgave you. And (again) you disobeyed me, so I forgave you. And (again) you disobeyed me, so I forgave you. So if you disobey me the fourth time, I will not forgive you". So, then Dawood (a.s) came to him and said: "O Danial I am the Messenger of Allah to you, and he says to you: "You have disobeyed me, so I forgave you, And (again) you disobeyed me, so I forgave you, And (again) you disobeyed me, so I forgave you, So if you disobey me the fourth time, I will not forgive you". So Danial Said to him: " You have delivered O Prophet of Allah". So, when he (Danial) was in the Sahh'er (End of the night, Before Fajr), He stood up and called to his lord, so he said: "O Lord, your prophet Dawood has told me about you: That I have disobeyed you, so you forgave me, and I disobeyed you, so you forgave me, and I disobeyed you, so you forgave me. And he told me about you: That, if I disobey you the fourth time, you will not forgive me. So by your superiority, if you do not protect me (from sin), I will disobey you, and then disobey you, and then disobey you".

• Source: Al-Kafī, Volume #4, Chapter (#191) of Repentance (بَابُ التَّوْبَةِ‌), Narration #11.

Grading:

• ​Al-Majlisi: Hassan Like the Sahih (حسن كالصحيح). -> Mir'aat Al-Uq'ool, Vol#11, Page#305.
  • Al-Muhsini: Mutabar (Reliable) -> Mujam Al-Ahadith Al-Mutabara, Vol#1, Page#432.

Does anyone know an Authentic narration or verse concerning whether he was a prophet or not? Anyone?

The Hadith is not reliable. Daniel flourished in the early years of 6th century BCE. King David was born ca. 1040 BC and died ca. 970 BC, David reigned from ca. 1010 BCE to his death. How were they supposed to be contemporaries when David obviously was born centuries prior? This is obviously not a reliable Hadith, you also can't rely on men who were born in the 7th century to tell chronicles about people living thousand years before them.

Also, most of the Islamic literature consider Daniel to be a Prophet of God.

No, listen to what I'm saying, other than two verses, we know virtually nothing about Dhul-Kifl, when was he born? Where was he born? Firstly, who is he?

I chose not to include him due to his empty character.

The Hadith is not reliable. Daniel flourished in the early years of 6th century BCE. King David was born ca. 1040 BC and died ca. 970 BC, David reigned from ca. 1010 BCE to his death. How were they supposed to be contemporaries when David obviously was born centuries prior? This is obviously not a reliable Hadith, you also can't rely on men who were born in the 7th century to tell chronicles about people living thousand years before them.

Also, most of the Islamic literature consider Daniel to be a Prophet of God.

First and foremost, the dates you posted are more likely from christian sources, which is not considered to be any form of evidence upon me. Second, I did not say he was not a prophet with absolute certainty, rather just posting narrations. One would need to collect the reports (narrations) and make an analyse between such reports to then arrive at an estimate (In addition using the Qur'an). I'm not saying your dates are incorrect, rather laid improper. Third, a chain (San'ad) that is reliable to the Prophet (s.a.w.w.s) or his successor, is a Hujja (evidence). However if the content of the narration is Odd (Shaa'th) or contradicts the Qur'an, then such a narration may be Rejected. 

Edited by Jaafar Al-Shibli