Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mithrandir

How To Get Started With Irfan?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

Salam, everybody.

I would like to immerse myself in Shi'i spirituality to draw nearer to Allah SWT. What are some of the sunnahs the irfani scholars highly recommend for initiates starting out? According to our Blessed Imams, are there any specific prayers recommended to attain zuhd or detachment?

What are the du'as taught to us by the Holy Prophet and his family to prevent our hearts from latching on to the dunya?

How important is Tahajjud? Is God nearest to the dunya during the last third of the night?

Do I need a teacher? Are the disciplines similar to that of sufism(the kind that does not accept bidah)?

I would appreciate any response to these questions.

Take care.

Mithrandir.

ws.

I don't know what if anything the usual scholars would recommend but I hear that this journey starts with tazkiya of nafs, which is to oppose, overcome and enslave the nafs, the inner self. This is done after fulfilling all the demands of the shariah. To get somewhere can take a lifetime. It is necessary to find a guide / teacher, albeit difficult.

(wasalam)

Guest silasun

Stay away from haraam do your wajib.

Ayatollah bahjat said the best irfaan book is the laws of your marja. You don't need a teacher for this, if you are among those who Allah wants to draw near, he will give you guidance through whatever means inshAllah.

the night prayer is a useful tool, it is best to have sort of schedule for this. Such as doing 3 rakaats once a week at first, then maybe he can do more if he can do the night prayer with vivacity and cheerfulness

Edited by silasun

Brother Silasun post is the best answer. 

Ayatollah Bahjat said it best, follow the laws of your marja, do what you know is right and spirituality and closeness to Allah will come automatically. There is no book that teaches you how to become more "irfani" nor is there a class that teaches you this. The irfan you see in the hawzah, is not a guidline, but rather what closeness to Allah means and what the effects are. 

"Do not tread on what you already know, that's the whole Irfan"

Ayatollah Bahjat (ra)

many people asked him about the tips of Irfan and where to start, he would always reply "Practice what you already know and Allah teaches you what you need to know next."

that's in fact a Hadeeth:

من عمل بما یعلم ورثه الله علم ما لا یعلم

whoever practices what he already knows, Allah gives him the knowledge of what he does not know.

Edited by mesbah

Salam, everybody.

Thank you all for your enlightening answers. I see, then, Irfan is very similar to sufism--minus some of the bizarre practices.

I am/was part of a Sufi Order--the Osmanli Naksibendi Way--and I used to depend on my teacher for the meanings of dreams. Most of the time, he would tell me my dreams are encouraging me towards patience, and once, he told me "Hazrat Ali has taken you under his wing...your endeavor will be a blessed one." This is why I am in search of a teacher...

The night prayers are how I got into spirituality. I was passionately devoted to waking up and praying to Allah. I did this regularly. My family started worrying and persuaded me to stop. Wallahi, so many barakah were withheld from me because of this move. Because of something as simple as Tahajjud, Allah granted me so much. For instance, when I was new in school, Allah turned me into one of the most influential and popular kids on campus. All of my friends say they find it odd how I made so many connections in less than a year. "You've been here less than 8 months, but seems like you've been here for more than 12 years..."

Ayatollah Bahjat's advice is golden. In Sha Allah, I will try my best to abide by the Shari'ah.

Take care and may Allah bless you all.

Mithrandir.

ws.

Guest silasun

My dearest of brothers. I have one thing for all of us to inshAllah ponder on thoroughly:

We are trying to build a house. Now, why would we keep buying silk persia rugs (salaat-ul-layl) when we keep destroying our foundations (doing haraam). Let us take a few minutes of out days to ponder about it! Think how much time we give to earning this certificate, that certificate! Can't we give a few minutes of our day to be dedicated to making our heart realise the vileness of sinning?!

There are so many hadiths on this subject. My sincere advice is to ponder a little over them. Here, I will copy a link to one chapter of Gunah-e-kabira by Shaheed Dastgheib (ra) . Ponder over its contents. Then we will see the reality of irfaan:

http://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abd-al-husayn-dastghayb-shirazi/taqwa

May Allah grant us all the keys to avoidance of all those vile impurities (sins) which have blackened the heart of myself and those like me!

Wasalaam

Edited by silasun

(bismillah)

Salam, everybody.

I would like to immerse myself in Shi'i spirituality to draw nearer to Allah SWT. What are some of the sunnahs the irfani scholars highly recommend for initiates starting out? According to our Blessed Imams, are there any specific prayers recommended to attain zuhd or detachment?

What are the du'as taught to us by the Holy Prophet and his family to prevent our hearts from latching on to the dunya?

How important is Tahajjud? Is God nearest to the dunya during the last third of the night?

Do I need a teacher? Are the disciplines similar to that of sufism(the kind that does not accept bidah)?

I would appreciate any response to these questions.

Take care.

Mithrandir.

ws.

Salaam

intention and want to meet/see God. And following the example of the Prophet (as). Will this help or have you surpassed this? Second advise is presence in prayer and listen to good speech. Do you understand the concepts of zahir, abad and arif? Please quote me so I see the reply if you reply or anyone as I don't come on for long.

Edited by Rohani

Salaam

intention and want to meet/see God. And following the example of the Prophet (as). Will this help or have you surpassed this? Second advise is presence in prayer and listen to good speech. Do you understand the concepts of zahir, abad and arif? Please quote me so I see the reply if you reply or anyone as I don't come on for long.

Salam, brother.

Yes brother I understand those concepts. Zahir--outer, abad--worship/slavery, 'arif--a mystic.

یک قدم بر خویشتن نه        وان دگر در کوی دوست

Put the first step on your 'self'      and the next one at Beloved's quarter

Edited by jin

Salam, brother.

Yes brother I understand those concepts. Zahir--outer, abad--worship/slavery, 'arif--a mystic.

salaam the zahir abstains from attachment to the dunya which is an attachment independent of God. Letting things rule you and not ruling over them like the extreme desires one must find the golden mein. The abad worship. zahir exchange or abad out of fear. The arif contains all these except he acts only for God. So he consumes or abstains for God. And worships for God. There is no arif without zuhd and ibadat. So start with this. Edited by Rohani

Two books I'd recommend to help you deepen your iman is Forty Hadith and Abdus Salat both by Imam Khomeini, see also A Shi'a Anthology by Allama Tabatabai trans. William Chittick, that has prayers etc. that you can also do...that likely you already are familiar with...  but these are just recommendations ...

"Sufism" was/is necessary amongst Sunnis because of the lost connection with the waliya ... so Sufis re-connect through their chain that almost always returns to several of the Shi'a Imams (AS) and to Imam Ali (AS). Shia have no need because we are already connected, we just need to deepen ... that is Irfan.  

An interesting book that describes this further is A History of Islamic Philosophy by Henry Corbin. 

The difficulty in the "west" is that there is really is no place we can go to study in depth... London has the Hawza, but really if you want to immerse yourself ... then you'll need to travel, live in Qum and Najaf... and travel and study in those lands... 

salaam the zahir abstains from attachment to the dunya which is an attachment independent of God. Letting things rule you and not ruling over them like the extreme desires one must find the golden mein. The abad worship. zahir exchange or abad out of fear. The arif contains all these except he acts only for God. So he consumes or abstains for God. And worships for God. There is no arif without zuhd and ibadat. So start with this.

Salam.

Thank you for clarifying this. I will start immediately.

Two books I'd recommend to help you deepen your iman is Forty Hadith and Abdus Salat both by Imam Khomeini, see also A Shi'a Anthology by Allama Tabatabai trans. William Chittick, that has prayers etc. that you can also do...that likely you already are familiar with...  but these are just recommendations ...

"Sufism" was/is necessary amongst Sunnis because of the lost connection with the waliya ... so Sufis re-connect through their chain that almost always returns to several of the Shi'a Imams (as) and to Imam Ali (as). Shia have no need because we are already connected, we just need to deepen ... that is Irfan.  

An interesting book that describes this further is A History of Islamic Philosophy by Henry Corbin. 

The difficulty in the "west" is that there is really is no place we can go to study in depth... London has the Hawza, but really if you want to immerse yourself ... then you'll need to travel, live in Qum and Najaf... and travel and study in those lands... 

Salam.

That settles it! I have no choice but to read those books. Thanks for recommending them.

Your perspective on sufism is deeply interesting, and gives me an idea--did Abu Bakr really start the Naqshbandiya? Or did someone simply erase Imam Ali's(as) name and insert Abu Bakr's out of Taqiyyah? Wonderful research topic if you ask me.

I do have plans to travel to Qum and study in the Hawza, but seems like a distant dream at this point. In Sha Allah, Allah swt will open the door for me.

Take care.

Mithrandir.

ws.

Edited by Mithrandir

Salaam yw and I would recommend reading nahjul balagha and sahifa sajjadiya