Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Langar

Islamic Environmental Ethics

Rate this topic

(Salam)

A brilliant paper by Sheikh Shomali:

(Bismillah)

"In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Prophet Muhammad:

If Resurrection is starting and one of you has a sapling in his hand which he can plant before he stands up he must do so.[1]

(d. 148/765)

Imam Sadiq:

There is no joy in life unless three things are available: clean fresh air, abundant pure water, and fertile land.[2]

One of the most important problems in today’s world is the environmental crisis. It seems that this problem started when modern man stopped understanding himself as the vicegerent and trustee of the All-Merciful God who must channel divine mercy to everything at his disposal or within his reach, and stopped understanding nature as a sacred sign and valuable trust from God. For the same reason, it seems that the best way to protect the environment from destruction and, indeed, to improve its condition is to revive these forgotten understandings by referring back to the teachings and instructions of divine religions and reviewing and readjusting our policies regarding the application of modern technology and in using natural resources appropriately. In this paper, I will try to briefly present some aspects of the Islamic perspective on environmental ethics in the light of Qur’anic verses and Islamic narrations (hadiths). The paper consists of four parts: nature; governing rules in Islamic environmental ethics; virtues related to human treatment of the environment; and vices related to human treatment of the environment."

A very important and insightful read, The rest of which can be found here: https://www.thinkingfaith.org/articles/20081111_1.htm

Strongly recommend.

We neglect our duties towards the environment all too often and a lot of the time engage in activities that are damaging to the environment which we don't tend to realise are ultimately haram.

Bismillah

Wa`alaykum asSalam, 

Thanks for posting. It's good to finally see scholars officially and intellectually delving into these subjects, it is long overdue. The book 'Islam And The Environment' by Ayatullah Jawadi Amuli (translated by sh. Dawud Sodagar) is a respectable first step, but is not close to enough. 

Right now within the Muslim world, it seems that Sayyid Nasr is leading the way in discussing environmental issues, and has been doing so for a long time. 

Hope to see more discussions on this matter inshallah. 

I agree wholeheartedly with you bro. It is an issue that is overlooked and buried, and anyone who raises it is usually dubbed a "hippie" lol, I've experienced this myself unfortunately.

This paper is actually from 2008 so it's not that new, yet you won't see any events about it and rarely does it get mentioned on the minbar. It's sad, and same as you I truly hope things will change in this regard and that we not only have more discussions but actually become proactive in protecting and developing our environment to help it flourish.

I agree wholeheartedly with you bro. It is an issue that is overlooked and buried, and anyone who raises it is usually dubbed a "hippie" lol, I've experienced this myself unfortunately.

This paper is actually from 2008 so it's not that new, yet you won't see any events about it and rarely does it get mentioned on the minbar. It's sad, and same as you I truly hope things will change in this regard and that we not only have more discussions but actually become proactive in protecting and developing our environment to help it flourish.

Salaam alaikum!

This topic is of great importance!  We undoubtedly need to more respect to the gifts that Allah (s.w.t.) gives us.  I feel like a great way to do thta is to make sure we are recycling and minimizing our waste.  I have to give credit where it is due, my wife is extremely conscientious about it.

If you want to see an brilliant idea for sustainable living, check out the earthship concept.  It's a silly name, but it's amazing what you can make out of recycled materials and live a clean and healthy life, and one that doesn't destroy the planet.  I mean since we were given the abundance of this world for our sustenance, do we not have a responsibility to act justly? To not treat the environment with respect feels to me to be a huge violation of somehting Allah (s.w.t.) provided to us.  Like breaking a trust almost.

I get called a hippie all the time.  To which I say salaam alaikum.  :)

Great topic! 

I think these subjects are common sense. We don't need papers quoting a few hadiths on the environment to realize Islam's position on it. I am not saying it shouldn't be done. I am just sayin for people always arguing about Islam's position on the environment, when it's more than just "respecting" it. The concepts of gratitude, self purification, hygiene, working as a community, and so forth, all encompass this idea of protection and preservation, which cannot be done without an environment. Things like not wasting food, how to treat animals, how and when to eat food, fasting, again underline this clear concept. Islam came at a time where the natural environment was important to the people and must have been substained. Not like now where garbage is seen in rivers, pollution and so forth.

I have been told that planting date seeds has a lot of rewards even though the person planting will not be able to eat from it because date palms take so long to grow. So it is encouraged to plant date seeds even though the planter will not eat from it. 

Bismillah

Wa`alaykum asSalam, 

Thanks for posting. It's good to finally see scholars officially and intellectually delving into these subjects, it is long overdue. The book 'Islam And The Environment' by Ayatullah Jawadi Amuli (translated by sh. Dawud Sodagar) is a respectable first step, but is not close to enough. 

Right now within the Muslim world, it seems that Sayyid Nasr is leading the way in discussing environmental issues, and has been doing so for a long time. 

Hope to see more discussions on this matter inshallah. 

Do you know where we can get Ayatollah Jawadi Amuli's book ?