Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Khalilallah

You Can Be A Muslim And A Mushrik

Rate this topic

Today I learned that a person can identify himself as a Muslim but at the same time be a Mushrik in nature.

To be a Muslim means to submit oneself to Allah and to be in submission only to Allah. Therefore if a person submits himself to something other than Allah then he is a Mushrik because he has assigned a partner to Allah and his submission is divided between what he is submitting himself to.

Therefore to be a Muslim in name and nature, we must submit ourselves only to Allah, what we do should be for the sake of Allah and we must not submit to anyone or any thing besides Allah.

Unfortunately many people now a days submit themselves to money, to other people who are their "bosses" or "commanders". They would fear the punishment of their masters more than they would fear their merciful and kind creator.

This is what happened with the people of Kufa, although they called themselves Muslims, they were in reality submitting themselves to that which is other than Allah and as a result they killed Hussein  (as) and left Islam and ceased to be Muslims without knowing. 

So remember, don't think you are a Muslim in nature just because you are a Muslim in name. To be a Muslim in nature you must submit yourself only to Allah, call only Allah for help, Ask for Sustanence from him and submit yourself to his will and his will only. Otherwise if you subject yourself to other humans for the sake of sustenance and you forget Allah and beg other humans for help, you will have replaced God and you would have attributed God's function to other humans.

This is just something I learned at a Mosque today, I hope I have delivered it to you correctly and may Allah forgive me if I have made a mistake. I just thought this point was crucial for us to know and wanted to share it.

Wasalam 

What is?

Well your animal and selfish self will pull you left and your human self and selfless self will pull you right. So you choose where you want to be.

Agree. I'm just saying you cant be at the same time. Like when a Muslim is committing the act of adultery faith leaves him during the act, when he finishes it returns. Eventually it leaves him all together. Anyways maybe I misunderstood you.  

I wouldn't hang too much on the word "Muslim" here. 

You don't have to accomplish anything or have a minimum standard of faith to be called Muslim.  Anyone can be a Muslim by simply stating a claim and reciting Shahada (sincerely or not doesn't matter).  Anyone can be Muslim, and the overwhelming majority today are simply given the title at birth anyway.  Yes, the claim and title itself is an important first step, but it doesn't tell the whole story. 

There are other terms we use to separate those with practice and taqwa, and you should focus on those.  "Momin" for example.  Adjectives like "hypocritical", "corrupted", etc can be put in front of the word Muslim, but cannot but be put in front of Momin.  That's because the former is a logical possibility but the latter is a contradiction and impossibility. 

Salam All.

Submitting to Allah swt and being loyal to your boss is completely different.

For example if I was to be working for a Boss and he did not allow me to pray at work and there was no other way or place to pray while at work, then it does not make me a mushrik if I submit to the laws of the  boss then pray when I get home.

Now submitting to the Allah swt and submitting to the laws of a country or person also does not make you a mushrik because there is a clear difference in your submission.

When Allah swt told the angles to do sajod for Prophet Adam a.s this does not make the angles a mushrik because in life there are 2 types of the 1 you can perform.

If I say to someone I love you with all my heart,  it does not mean I have no love for Allah swt.

The problem we have in this day and age is that some scholars are taking us thru the wall while bringing fear into the hearts of people.

As long as you know that Allah swt is the creator with no equal and you never put anyone or thing on the same level of Allah swt then you are not a mushrik.

Islam is not a religion of hardship, its a religion of ease.

Salam

وَما يُؤمِنُ أَكثَرُهُم بِاللَّهِ إِلّا وَهُم مُشرِكونَ
TRANSLITERATION

wa-mā yuʾminu ʾaktharuhum bi-llāhi ʾillā wa-hum mushrikūna

TRANSLATION

And most of them do not believe in Allah without ascribing partners to Him. 

YŪSUF:106

http://al-quran.info/#12

Salams,

You said 'submit' a lot in that post. This notion of 'submitting' making you a Muslim is something ive never quite got my head around. Something in 'submission' is more like something that has been compelled (sub = under, mit = put/send). Everything is already in submission to Allah in that sense. Wouldnt a better English word for freely choosing to follow the Islamic path be to 'surrender'? as this means to freely let go of something, where as 'submit'  has more of a connotation of being forced like 'subjugation'. When i look at all the ways the siin lam mim root creates words, its seem that most of them are connected to a more free/gentle/peaceful state or action the word English word 'surrender' fits better:

safety/security/freedom/immunity, to escape, salutation/greeting/peace, deliver/acknowledge, pay in advance, submit, sincerity, humility, submission/conformance/obedience, resign/quit/relinquish, to be in sound condition, well without blemish, gentle/tender/soft/elegant.

If you believe an Imam can grant your dua, rather than Allah swt granting dua, and that risq and your eternal and overarching corporeal judgement is done by mortals, you are a mushrik.

Only Allah swt grants a dua, irrespective of a Prophet or Imam interceding for you.

If you wish to persist in shirk, then please prepare some convincing answers infront of Allah swt.

TRANSLITERATION

TRANSLATION

Edited by Tawheed313

If you believe an Imam can grant your dua, rather than Allah swt granting dua, and that risq and your eternal and overarching corporeal judgement is done by mortals, you are a mushrik.

Only Allah swt grants a dua, irrespective of a Prophet or Imam interceding for you.

If you wish to persist in shirk, then please prepare some convincing answers infront of Allah swt.

TRANSLITERATION

TRANSLATION

To be fair, this verse is talking disobeying Allah rather than ascribing partners to Him.

والقمي والعياشي عن الباقر عليه السلام شرك طاعة وليس شرك عبادة

al-Qummi and al-'Ayashi, from al-Baqir (a): shirk in obedience and not shirk in worship.

http://www.hodaalquran.com/rbook.php?id=7006&mn=1

(Salam)

It depends on exactly what one means. It is easy to get carried away.

Unfortunately many people now a days submit themselves to money, to other people who are their "bosses" or "commanders". They would fear the punishment of their masters more than they would fear their merciful and kind creator.

It must be understood, that if you simply listen to your boss and do as directed this does not mean you think your boss shares powers with the Creator. It does not mean that you think God and your Boss are supernatural powers. It does not mean that God cannot control some powers that your Boss can.

The logic behind this is not true. However, symbolically you can say "it appears one worships money and worldly gain". This does not equate to concluding that suddenly Allah (swt) does not have all power, nor that suddenly Allah (swt) has partners in which he has no control on some aspects of those partners.

Journey of truth, made a good point. It should be also noted, chasing money, or a desire in this dunya perhaps may be a sin, but it does not make realistic sense to equate it with lowering God's status. Which is what shirk/partnership means.

This one dimensional way of thinking would probably show that 99.99% of muslims could be mushriks then. It cannot be.

Ws

Then why do you all submit to the state you all reside in?.....

I originally thought this was a really deep and profound sentence (assuming that you were speaking about the different spiritual or psychological states that we are in), but then realised you're speaking about a geographical state, which makes the sentence fallacious to some extent. 

It is not correct to use the word submit, since even the most adherent of citizens do not 'submit' as it is understood in a religious context. They merely comply. This compliance itself is not problamatic, and even less so when the order to comply comes from religious authority (in this day and age; the emulated jurists). The problem only arises when something is put at the same level as God, and the order/commands/desires/wishes of that thing or person are seen to be equal to those of Gods - whether we accept that theoretically or it appears in our practical day to day actions.