Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ireallywannaknow

Poetry Competition

Guest silasun

Black

On my wall is some blue tac

I can see a tic tac

This poetry lacks

I won't put it in my backpack

Yes.... splendid poetry Silasun

Black Stone (Hajar al-Aswad)

How many have touched you? 

Millions could not.

Imam Mahdi AJ touches you.

Missing you, my tears fall.

Knowing you are there means so much.

You're a poet and you didn't even know it! It's wonderful mashaAllah :)

Aww, thank you! ;) But I'm sure there are more talented sisters and brothers around^^ I hope that more people participate - it's a really nice idea you had.

Btw, your signature *-* It's true; not all the beauty (of words) is meant to be shared with the world.

Wa salam.

Aww, thank you! ;) But I'm sure there are more talented sisters and brothers around^^ I hope that more people participate - it's a really nice idea you had.

Btw, your signature *-* It's true; not all the beauty (of words) is meant to be shared with the world.

Wa salam.

Well if they don't that's okay, we could just hang out here and have some tea and chat  :D

I like the way you put it, it's like the hijab of words. The beauty of some words should be guarded, lest it's value be undermined... like the Qur'an I suppose....

What kind of prose do you write? I always had a harder time with prose, and whenever I tried, my writing always came out really dark and depressing for some reason  :donno:

Edited by ireallywannaknow

Well if they don't that's okay, we could just hang out here and have some tea and chat :D

I like the way you put it, it's like the hijab of words. The beauty of some words should be guarded, lest it's value be undermined... like the Qur'an I suppose....

What kind of prose do you write? I always had a harder time with prose, and whenever I tried, my writing always came out really dark and depressing for some reason :donno:

I'll prefer hot chocolate :P

@bold: Lol, can you read minds? That was exactly what came to mind when reading your signature^^

I write different things, actually. Got a lot of practice from 'fanfictions' for years and am trying my hand at a bigger project (book), though just planning at the moment: fiction with a mix of genres (history (as in leaning on real occurances), drama (as in playing with emotions), 'fantasy'). I mostly focus on the characters themselves, their psychology, developments, relationships (family, friends) all woven around different plot-aspects. Looking at my sketches, it's a huge project, covering several themes. Let's see how it developes ;)

I prefer fiction over non-fiction because I think it's a better medium to involve an emotional level. Plus, it's much easier to touch subjects most people wouldn't touch openly/in public in a way the reader will feel it and to send out specific messages in a discrete manner (which is what I'm trying to do, too).

Also, I find history very interesting and would like to write a historical novel (Islamic history), at one point. Though, I'll have to see if I can gather enough information on my subject (well, on the persons, really). But that's just a thought, as of now :)

Poems... well, I always hated analyzing them, so maybe I'm traumatised (hence, why I don't write them) and haven't realized it, yet...

Wa salam.

Edited by Noor al-Batul

I'll prefer hot chocolate :P

@bold: Lol, can you read minds? That was exactly what came to mind when reading your signature^^

I write different things, actually. Got a lot of practice from 'fanfictions' for years and am trying my hand at a bigger project (book), though just planning at the moment: fiction with a mix of genres (history (as in leaning on real occurances), drama (as in playing with emotions), 'fantasy'). I mostly focus on the characters themselves, their psychology, developments, relationships (family, friends) all woven around different plot-aspects. Looking at my sketches, it's a huge project, covering several themes. Let's see how it developes ;)

I prefer fiction over non-fiction because I think it's a better medium to involve an emotional level. Plus, it's much easier to touch subjects most people wouldn't touch openly/in public in a way the reader will feel it and to send out specific messages in a discrete manner (which is what I'm trying to do, too).

Also, I find history very interesting and would like to write a historical novel (Islamic history), at one point. Though, I'll have to see if I can gather enough information on my subject (well, on the persons, really). But that's just a thought, as of now :)

Poems... well, I always hated analyzing them, so maybe I'm traumatised (hence, why I don't write them) and haven't realized it, yet...

Wa salam.

Ooh that sounds so exciting I can't wait to read it! And it hasn't even been written yet lol. I love books that have really great character development--that's truly what differentiates the good books from the mediocre books I think. 

I tried writing a novel once. I got about 2,000 words in then stopped. It was so terribly corny and uninteresting and just really bad lol. Character development and pacing (my stories tend to draaaag out) are my two weakest areas with prose. And plus I just don't think I have the patience to write an entire book, I don't know how people do it. Good luck with yours though and really when you start to write it and if you need someone to test read it for you, I'd love to  ;)

I always hated analyzing poetry in school too. In my opinion, things like poetry and art should be left mostly untouched and not over analyzed because you'll never know exactly what the author or artist truly meant or their reasons for doing what they did. 

I do however like writing poetry. My poetry tends to be very personal and my favorite themes are human nature and exploring my own mind. I love reading my own poetry too however conceited that sounds hehe :) InshaAllah I plan on compiling and putting all my poetry in a book so I can pick it up and read my poems over and over again whenever I want lol :D

I love reading more than writing. I love looking at the words and asking myself why the author chose that word in the sentence or stanza. One word can make all the difference.

I love reading more than writing. I love looking at the words and asking myself why the author chose that word in the sentence or stanza. One word can make all the difference.

Youhave a true analyst's eye. That means you can truly appreciate works of eloquence! I admit, probably just don't like analyzing stuff because I'm terrible at it... 

Ooh that sounds so exciting I can't wait to read it! And it hasn't even been written yet lol. I love books that have really great character development--that's truly what differentiates the good books from the mediocre books I think.

I tried writing a novel once. I got about 2,000 words in then stopped. It was so terribly corny and uninteresting and just really bad lol. Character development and pacing (my stories tend to draaaag out) are my two weakest areas with prose. And plus I just don't think I have the patience to write an entire book, I don't know how people do it. Good luck with yours though and really when you start to write it and if you need someone to test read it for you, I'd love to ;)

I always hated analyzing poetry in school too. In my opinion, things like poetry and art should be left mostly untouched and not over analyzed because you'll never know exactly what the author or artist truly meant or their reasons for doing what they did.

I do however like writing poetry. My poetry tends to be very personal and my favorite themes are human nature and exploring my own mind. I love reading my own poetry too however conceited that sounds hehe :) InshaAllah I plan on compiling and putting all my poetry in a book so I can pick it up and read my poems over and over again whenever I want lol :D

Lol, really? But you don't even know what it's about! :P And thank you. Yes, it's not easy to write a complete book- it's hard to stay motivated for such a long time, I have to admit. Maybe I should hire someone to motivate me constantly... Funnily enough, I have written a poem to start with (both in German and English)^^ So, if you want to start 'test-reading' (the more people the better, isn't it?) I could pm you ;)

So, are you going to contribute a poem here, too? I'd love to read some of your works!

@hameedeh: I know what you mean. I love reading and writing equally. The only problem I have is with analyzing poems - I actually love analyzing books and texts, have done it a lot in school (in different languages) and old habits die hard: That's why I can't write short replies, nor can I stop using those methodologies for various things in e.g. debates (and find it frustrating when others don't do it by, for example, ignoring context and such things).

@Tawheed: Beautiful! :) It flows really nicely!

Wa salam.

Edited by Noor al-Batul

Lol, really? But you don't even know what it's about! :P And thank you. Yes, it's not easy to write a complete book- it's hard to stay motivated for such a long time, I have to admit. Maybe I should hire someone to motivate me constantly... Funnily enough, I have written a poem to start with (both in German and English)^^ So, if you want to start 'test-reading' (the more people the better, isn't it?) I could pm you ;)

I can just tell it's going to be good! No pressure lol  B)

Sure I'd love to read the poem!

I did actually write a poem for this the day the competition started. But I'm not crazy about it. I might do another one, too. I have fragments of ideas floating around in my head. But here is the first one:

Memories Held Dear

If I shut my eyes
tight
the images reappear
with the broken-record
words I hear
I'm desperate
to scrub it all back
into black

It's more than 25 words, And after Friday the 13th, but at least it's about ' Black',

It all went black,

And I was taken aback,

What did I lack,

To cause this wrack,

I'm beginning to crack,

Becoming a maniac,

I'v lost my track,

Wanting to attack,

Falling back,

Becoming insomniac,

From memories beginning to stack,

Because you were my best friend,

And you had my back,

And I would always defend,

From the gossiping yak and evil wack,

I would always depend,

Who wouldn't when you had a great best friend,

Then came the clack,

It all went black,

No body else cares,

To see the tears,

All I see is swears

And even more judgemental glares,

But when I look upstairs,

And begin the prayers,

There is only One that still cares,

When I'm here alone,

I see the clones,

Sitting on their 'thrones',

Ready to disown,

Their own flesh and blood and what is well known,

We should wake up and atone,

Yet after everything...

Al Rahman remains the only One!

It's more than 25 words, And after Friday the 13th, but at least it's about ' Black',

It all went black,

And I was taken aback,

What did I lack,

To cause this wrack,

I'm beginning to crack,

Becoming a maniac,

I'v lost my track,

Wanting to attack,

Falling back,

Becoming insomniac,

From memories beginning to stack,

Because you were my best friend,

And you had my back,

And I would always defend,

From the gossiping yak and evil wack,

I would always depend,

Who wouldn't when you had a great best friend,

Then came the clack,

It all went black,

No body else cares,

To see the tears,

All I see is swears

And even more judgemental glares,

But when I look upstairs,

And begin the prayers,

There is only One that still cares,

When I'm here alone,

I see the clones,

Sitting on their 'thrones',

Ready to disown,

Their own flesh and blood and what is well known,

We should wake up and atone,

Yet after everything...

Al Rahman remains the only One!

Mashallah...

I vote for this one as it shows deep emotions.

Sobhan Allah this is a very well prepared and thought poem.

It made me think about life.......

Thanks for sharing Zeinab

(bismillah)

(salam)

Jebreil,  

Wow your poetry is beautiful mashaAllah  :wub: ... thank you for participating and thank you also zeinab94 for your lovely poem contribution!  :)

The competition is over now (since a week and a half ago) but whoever else wants to post some poetry here, feel free! Just know that there will be no voting and no winners or anything. 

First posted on Shia Chat:

"People are like waves of the ocean...some cover you with tides of refreshment, whilst other's cause floods of turmoil."

Written in 2013 by me. Unfortunately, someone stole my words and put it on Tumblr as Ahadith :cry:

Jebreil,

I love it! You should post that in its own thread, it needs to be the official anthem of ShiaChatland! And every new member that joins SC has to chant it before they are officially inducted. 

First posted on Shia Chat:

"People are like waves of the ocean...some cover you with tides of refreshment, whilst other's cause floods of turmoil."

Written in 2013 by me. Unfortunately, someone stole my words and put it on Tumblr as Ahadith :cry:

That means your words have the wisdom of the Ahlulbayt (as) :D

It's funny how, after the competition has finished, poems fly in :D And really good ones, at that, too! Now you see what I meant with real talents? ;)

@ireallywannaknow: Yes, I can see how you're more into writing poetry - it's really nice! :)

@Jebreil - really beautiful, I especially like your first one :) Btw, looking at your avatar, I was wondering if you have read 'The Mask of Apollo', by any chance?

Wa salam.

Is My Heart Ready?

Beginning with cross-road’s, looking for Your Light

Tainted with deception, grief, and false insight

Where are You? Is my heart ready?

Pain stricken soul, no one in sight

Lies upon lies, wrong and right in my view, something is not right

Is my heart ready? My mother’s feet are now gone, pain more prevalent, where are You?

My father’s cries are strong, no one in sight, where are You?

Happiness swept away, no more light in my soul, A beating heart with no pulse…

I still love You…Where are You? No one in sight…

Years of being half-stepped with no light, I am ready. Please come find me. I need You.

Life-less, a dark road, which seems darker and darker by night, no one in sight, is my heart ready?

I need You. I still love You. Where are You?

My sorrow prevails, no one in sight, I beg to be with You.

My loss takes over my vision…

Show me the Truth!

There is something missing…A man comes in form of a vision…

A broken heart, I now must endure, the sight of your suffering brings me to fear

How could they hurt you? Are you here to help? The pain inside begins to welt

A piece of my heart is now flowing, the gates to my salvation are now knowing

A pulse has arisen, its beat is weak, show me more, so that I shall seek! Is my heart ready?

Two men are here, to show you cheer, to guide your Light, and decrease your fear

Who are you? Why am I here?

Your love for me is unconditional…my heart is flowing, tears for years of not knowing…

The pain is lifting, her memory is here, but your love for me, no one can compare…Is my heart ready?

Your neck is red with a shining light, tears of blood drenching in your might,

Who are you? Why do I love you?

A prisoner’s keep was at your feet, my pain is lifting, my love is transcending…show me the Light.

They hurt you with no feeling, nothing but hate in their hearts, I love you. I am here. Is my heart ready?

This is not your land, but here we stand, waiting for the upper-hand of Light…

Mecca came forth, showing your worth, in all of my blinded-night’s, no one could see, it was You who was guiding me.

It was You all along, heart beating so strong, my loss was a fraction of your light

Your name was Allah, the most beautiful name, Where were You? Is my heart ready?

His name was Mohammad, a Messenger of Light, where have you been? No one in sight…

My heart bleeds Hussain, I feel you in my veins, who are you? I love you, I don’t know your name.

Your name was Ahlul-Bayt, a name of my fate…The seal of my blindness. Though mother’s feet are now behind us, I give my heart, my pulse, it will forever beat for you.

I now see the Light. You are here, You are in sight, by my mother’s flight, wings shining so bright…

I will never let You out of my sight.

(wasalam) AB313

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

(bismillah)

(salam)

Noor

No, I haven't.

But having read a preface of the plot, I know some of the history it is based on. 

My love affair with Plato is through his own pen.

Of all the philosophers that I have read, and I have read a fair amount, nobody has arrived or even approximated the harmony of solemnity and humour, meaning and colour, truth and myth, science and drama, sublime and mundane, human and divine, rational and spiritual, both crystal clear and mystically dark, with a breadth unmatched and a depth unfathomed that comes collected in the writings of Plato. 

(wasalam)

Is it not true that Plato did maybe not exist? What's your reply?

Thanks for the clarification ;) So, a real Plato admirer, huh. I gathered from other posts by you that you are somewhat of a philosopher yourself. Just asked about the book since I was thinking about buying it and your avatar reminded of it^^

Lol, there are people who doubt Plato's existence? Really?

Wa salam.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Ali F

Why would you doubt Plato's existence?

There is enough indication that he existed.

(wasalam)

I'm sorry, my brother. The person who I read about is "Socrates". It's doubtful if he really existed.

Some say that Planton invented Socrates.

black ^_^ 

I remember many summer days

When we used to sit on wooden swings

In grandpa’s orchard, watching jays

Showing off their pretty wings.

We used to be like sisters then

Running through the tall green grass

Picking flowers in the glen

Watching many good years pass.

But then we grew

And grew apart

I sailed and flew

You gave your heart.

They say there was an accident

That killed him though he still was young,

I stopped my trip and home I went

And saw black drapes around you strung.

You looked so sad

Your eyes were dead

I knew you had

A life of dread.

And we grew old

With not a word

The tales they told

The tales they heard

They said you had gone off the track

“Loony old lady” I heard them say

For you wore a gown of midnight black

Until a fine midsummers day.

I grabbed my cane from by the door

And hobbled over forest roads

I heard the jays, and river’s roar

I heard the croaking of the toads.

And at the swings on grandpa’s land

I saw you sitting, wearing black

I sat by you and took your hand

Oh, the memories that then came back.

And I saw you slowly smile at me

Smiling such a teary grin

And we walked through grandpa’s orchard trees

Picking flowers in the glen.

I fly above the skies,
who knows where I'm meant to go?

Whether it's the dark night or the bright day light,
I stay intoxicated in your love.

The dust which is the evidence of my existence,

what men of faith is the dust of ? 

a saint and a sinner both are from it,
drunk i am in both state from it.

The human existence has caused me to go crazy,
what sin was it if i had remained God?  :cry:

hafez-(14).jpg

Edited by Aftahb

black ^_^

:wub: love it

I fly above the skies,

who knows where I'm meant to go?

Whether it's the dark night or the bright day light,

I stay intoxicated in your love.

The dust which is the evidence of my existence,

what men of faith is the dust of ? 

Nice, I really like the flow of these 3 stanzas especially :)

Beautiful picture too! 

Wrote this a couple years ago. Not my usual style but it fits the Black theme.

to be a peacock
whose feathers are draped in black
among peacocks
whose feathers are gems in the light
splayed, upright, a gift for the eyes
pure delight
ooh ahh they say

--my feathers are draped in black

tempted, sometimes, to lift the veil
to be admired for once
would be surreal

but i know too well, that if I splayed my tail
they'd ooh and ahh, then pluck the feathers
and walk away

leave me stripped, raw

that is to say:
my feathers are draped in black

I am lost with path now!

where has search taken me?

what have i become?

in every religion i find truth

in every religion i find god

all prophets all saints have possessed my heart

i bow to them in remembrance of my lord

Krishna Esa Budda all are one infront of my lord

the message of love is one infront of my lord

Ya Ali come to my aid

Open thy door to my face

let me shiver and turn pale in your presence

let death come to me as i embrace you with presence

Ali and Muhammad are from one noor and i be embraced in that noor - to be forever with lord!

jesus-stained-glass-10124096.jpg05guru5.jpg

Imam_Ali_a_s__by_Emane1983.jpgbudda.jpg

Edited by Aftahb

The Opening of the Heart:

To open the heart

Is to take hold of the rope

Yet many hearts were diseased

Those who once had ears

Would wish their faces shone white

Like a sign to their Pharaohs

Those who once had minds

Will say dazzled and stunned

"Of this I was unaware"

Those who loved wealth

And let it coil around them

Will be at a complete loss

Ya Allah, You are Wise

And are truly All-Knowing

And to You, we will return

Those who denied Truth

And took for the world's idols

Their faces shall be dismayed

Those who once oppressed

Will then be done the same to

Before licking the hellfire

The path to Hellfire

I see is dark and winding

It's key is a closed heart

*Poem was composed using an archaic Japanese 5-7-7 syllable pattern; Inspired by 2:10,3:106,7:108,7:172,16:36,7:138,2:191 and 2:28. Was complemtating on sin and what it's effects are spiritually when left unchecked when I was writing this.