Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Umaa Attends Meeting At White House With President

skylight2

• Veteran Member

UMAA Attends Meeting at White House with President Obama

(WASHINGTON DC -- February 6, 2015) On Wednesday, the Universal Muslim Association of America attended a meeting with President Obama held in the West Wing of the White House to discuss the thoughts,  accomplishments, and viewpoints of the American Muslim community, represented by a diverse group of Muslim leaders and organizations.  

UMAA Advocacy Director, Rahat Husain had a chance to speak with the President.  

“It is important for the Shia Muslim community to be included in the political process, as our community is growing in size and complexity,” said Husain, encouraging the White House to involve the Shia community in future endeavors as an integral part of the Muslim and American communities.  

Additionally, UMAA raised the issue of Shia killings in Pakistan. Referring to the terrible plight of the Shias and other disenfranchised in Pakistan, Husain asked for increased refugee assistance for “those fleeing violence in search of a new home.”

The Universal Muslim Association of America (UMAA) is a 501©3 nonprofit based in Washington D.C. consisting of Shia Ithna Asheri Muslims dedicated to advocating on political, social, and interfaith issues. UMAA regularly interacts with congressmen, senators, federal officials, think tanks, NGOs, policy institutes, and academic experts during the course of its work. UMAA hosts one of the largest gatherings of Shia Ithna Asheri Muslims in North America at its annual convention. 

UMAA seeks to provide a forum to foster unity amongst Muslims, to participate in civic and political responsibilities, to dispel misgivings about Islam and Muslims, and to help fellow Americans better understand Islam through the Qur’an and the teachings and practices of Prophet Muhammad and his Ahlul Bayt.​

Edited by hameedeh
Centered indentation changed to left alignment for ease of reading.

Same group that invited Paul Wolfowitz as a keynote speaker...Now they meet with Obama, a man who has killed hundreds of thousands of Muslims and is responsible for the bloodshed going on in Syria and Iraq against Shias...

Did Imam Hussain(AS) hold meetings with Yazid(LA)?

Apologists. Smh. 

Same group that invited Paul Wolfowitz as a keynote speaker...Now they meet with Obama, a man who has killed hundreds of thousands of Muslims and is responsible for the bloodshed going on in Syria and Iraq against Shias...

Did Imam Hussain(AS) hold meetings with Yazid(LA)?

Apologists. Smh. 

Did Ali a.s advise and help the first three Caliphs or not?

Additionally, UMAA raised the issue of Shia killings in Pakistan. Referring to the terrible plight of the Shias and other disenfranchised in Pakistan, Husain asked for increased refugee assistance for “those fleeing violence in search of a new home.”

Bismillah

:mellow:

Did this brother completely forget which president and country is currently shamelessly bombing parts of the very country he mentioned, and also other countries in the near and far region? Asking a person who is indiscriminately killing people with drones to help protect a people who if they lived a few hundred miles more north, would be getting killed by the same person is just boggling. I truly am baffled. If we really do need to ask such people/countries for help, let us at least ask regarding areas where their crimes are a little more desecrate and behind closed doors; like Bahrain for instance. 

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

It's not so much about what was asked for, but rather who was asked. 

I think as you guys are busy picking your noses and spending hours on shiachat and facebook writing clever posts, people like Rahat are actually doing something about the plight of Shi'as.

Edited by daudtaft

I think as you guys are busy picking your noses and spending hours on shiachat and facebook writing clever posts, people like Rahat are actually doing something about the plight of Shi'as.

if shaking hands with satan was the way of imams. we too would have done it.

how sad imam hossain didn't care for shias? he should have agreed to work according to yazidi rules to help shias.

silly the whole point of shia islam is. even in weak state we never shake hands with satan. Go read stories of all imams!

do you really think the creator of isis , alqaeda, taliban, zionist regime, iraq syria masr libya afghanistan Palestine destroyers etc are goin to work towards helping shias? who fight all what they have created. smh!!!

use logic brother!

Edited by Aftahb

This is a pathetic tactic to try and give importance and value to any movement/action - accuse those who are against it of doing nothing. 

But since you have hours to spare following those on shiachat and facebook writing 'clever' posts and criticizing your twisted methods of helping the Shi'ites, would you please tell me how picking president Obama's nose has helped the Shia plight from the day the request was made to now? Any statements by him? his office? any requests for changes? any end to arming other groups killing Shias in Syria and Iraq? Even a frown at Aal-Khalifa in Bahrain? 

I don't know much about UMAA, and i'm not aware of their activities, hence i only commented on this event and didn't mention the organisation in my previous posts - only the brother making the request. Anyone who is slightly aware of world affairs and has a little self-respect and dignity would be disgusted at this request (because of who it as made to). 

This is a pathetic tactic to try and give importance and value to any movement/action - accuse those who are against it of doing nothing. 

But since you have hours to spare following those on shiachat and facebook writing 'clever' posts and criticizing your twisted methods of helping the Shi'ites, would you please tell me how picking president Obama's nose has helped the Shia plight from the day the request was made to now? Any statements by him? his office? any requests for changes? any end to arming other groups killing Shias in Syria and Iraq? Even a frown at Aal-Khalifa in Bahrain? 

I don't know much about UMAA, and i'm not aware of their activities, hence i only commented on this event and didn't mention the organisation in my previous posts - only the brother making the request. Anyone who is slightly aware of world affairs and has a little self-respect and dignity would be disgusted at this request (because of who it as made to). 

I am not making any judgements on any side, but i have to say Obama is atleast negotiating with Iran, something the republicans would never have done, nor some democrats. He himself is the least pro-israeli president i have ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

In His Name

I am not living in your country but i think we should do whatever we do in accordance with our Imam opinion and gaining their opinion is not that easy we should have comprehensive knowledge about Quran , narration and history we should know the differences between different circumstances.I am not a fan of umma or other institute in the US but i know for fact that the dire need of shia in this time and age is unity

this narration could open new window in front of us

مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ إِسْمَاعِيلَ: عَنْ إِسْمَاعِيلَ بْنِ مَرَّارٍ، عَنْ بَعْضِ أَصْحَابِنَا، أَنَّهُ لَمَّا قَدِمَ أَبُو إِبْرَاهِيمَ مُوسَى بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ (ع) الْعِرَاقَ، قَالَ عَلِيُّ بْنُ يَقْطِينٍ: أَ مَا تَرَى حَالِي وَ مَا أَنَا فِيهِ! فَقَالَ: يَا عَلِيُّ إِنَّ لِلَّهِ تَعَالَى أَوْلِيَاءَ مَعَ‏ أَوْلِيَاءِ الظَّلَمَةِ لِيَدْفَعَ بِهِمْ عَنْ أَوْلِيَائِهِ، وَ أَنْتَ مِنْهُمْ يَا عَلِيُّ

Ali ibn Yaqtin was the prime minister of Haroon al Rashid the tyrant who put our seventh Imam in jail and gradually killed him despite all these oppression our Imam ordered him to remain in his government

• Advanced Member

I am not making any judgements on any side, but i have to say Obama is atleast negotiating with Iran, something the republicans would never have done, nor some democrats. He himself is the least pro-israeli president i have ever seen.

Both sides -- Republicans and Democrats -- are run by the same group of Elites.

Read Jesse Ventura's Democrips and Rebloodlicans. He was a former governor of Minnesota, a former Navy Seal, and he gives a lot of insightful information since he has seen it firsthand. I don't think the people at UMAA understand. 

Edited by NaveenHussain

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It's not so much about what was asked for, but rather who was asked. 

if the "what" was fine and acceptable, what is the problem with asking?

Edited by rahat

• Veteran Member

(salam)

^Are they being forced by the Khawarij of their communities to negotiate with the Mu'awiyah of the time? That's the only reason Ali (as) was even forced to consider it, otherwise he was always against it and wanted him out of power (in fact he wanted Mu'awiyah dead) and wished to continue to wage war. If anything, those historical events show us that we probably shouldn't be negotiating at all with people like Mu'awiyah - nothing good will come out of it.

Wassalam

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain

• Advanced Member

Prophet Nuh talked to tyrants of his time

Prophet Ibrahim reasoned with Namrut

Prophet Yusuf literally worked for a Pharoah

Prophet Musa negotiated with a Pharoah

Prophet Muhammad negotiated with Abu Sufyan, Quraish, others. Allowed Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and others in his presence.

Imam Ali negotiated with Muawiya

Imam Hasan signed treaty with Muawiya.

Imam Husain negotiated with Shimr and others at Karbala

Imam Muhammad Baqir and Imam Jafer Sadiq regularly negotiated with caliphs

Every Prophet and every masoomeen in every circumstance always asked for their rights, even from people who would've never granted it. 

Its irrelevant what the result was. By your logic, Prophet Musa should have never even tried with Pharaoh.

Edited by rahat

• Advanced Member

Prophet Nuh talked to tyrants of his time

Prophet Ibrahim reasoned with Namrut

Prophet Yusuf literally worked for a Pharoah

Prophet Musa negotiated with a Pharoah

Prophet Muhammad negotiated with Abu Sufyan, Quraish, others. Allowed Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and others in his presence.

Imam Ali negotiated with Muawiya

Imam Hasan signed treaty with Muawiya.

Imam Husain negotiated with Shimr and others at Karbala

Imam Muhammad Baqir and Imam Jafer Sadiq regularly negotiated with caliphs

Every Prophet and every masoomeen in every circumstance always asked for their rights, even from people who would've never granted it. 

Its irrelevant what the result was. By your logic, Prophet Musa should have never even tried with Pharaoh.

UMAA allowed Wolfowitz to speak, if I'm not mistaking. Do you have a video of that speech? Has he delivered on whatever was said in that speech? If not, do you publicly call him out for his hypocrisy or not keeping true to his word? How has the speech advanced our Shia position today? 

Edited by NaveenHussain

• Veteran Member

^

To my knowledge the "talking" was done publicly, and were more like admonishments. Not a nice chit chat. Even what you call "negotiations" were done as admonishments to the tyrants. What UMAA is doing is completely outrageous, and that too using the name of the Prophets and Imams to justify themselves. 

• Advanced Member

^

To my knowledge the "talking" was done publicly, and were more like admonishments. Not a nice chit chat. Even what you call "negotiations" were done as admonishments to the tyrants. What UMAA is doing is completely outrageous, and that too using the name of the Prophets and Imams to justify themselves. 

I appreciate your reply. I also want Rahat [an UMAA guy] to reply. 

• Advanced Member

UMAA regrets the speech of Wolfowitz and since that time the administration and philosophy of the organization has changed. While we do believe it is fully important to engage in discourse with political officials, it must be done under the rubric of advancing the cause of the Prophet and his Ahlul Bayt and the situation of Shias in the US and around the world. UMAA looks forward to constructive dialogue, but is not a forum for any other group or government to advance its own agenda. The meeting with the President, as well as dozens of other meetings with not only government agencies, but also nonprofit groups, anti discrimination agencies, and others - have all occurred under this philosophy of engagement for the sake of advancement. We do not believe engagement to the be same as admonishment or condemnation of the people we are meeting with.

I personally do not think hatred, attacks, anonymous comments, and insults (as have been posted in this thread) are from the teachings of Ahlul Bayt. 

It is our firm belief that these types of meetings are necessary for the safeguarding of our community and its interests in the future. Certainly every other Muslim group is engaging in similar behavior. At the same meeting, in attendance was the President of the largest Sunni group in America (ISNA), as was the past president of ISNA. The head of Muslim Advocates was there, the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) sent representatives. Its illogical for us to be "ok" with every Muslim group to attend these meetings except Shia ones. 

Finally, while you may believe that it is against Islam to do such things, no Marja has ever said such a thing. Indeed, the representatives of many Shia governments, and Marjas themselves, have conversated with the US Govt, the President and others. Many of these communications have been continuous, polite and cordial, without condemnation or admonishment, and have been for the same goal. Its unfortunate that you dont like this or dont like us, but this is our stance and we're going to keep doing these things inshallah. We pray that our efforts are successful and advance the cause of our Masoomeen and the situation of our community.

Edited by rahat

• Veteran Member

. Indeed, the representatives of many Shia governments, 

There is only one Shi'a centric Islamic government, that is the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they don't have diplomatic ties with the US... the talks that they have engaged in is something very specific, and they have furthermore not stopped their strong criticism of the United States, and have done so within the *negotiations* . Furthermore they are engaged in *negotiations* not chit chat, and have done so with a clear sense of equals. Now, there are many, including within the Islamic Republic of Iran who have expressed reservations about these negotiations. Including, Imam Khamenei himself... 

Those negotiations are not being conducted by self styled "representatives" of Shi'as rather , these are elected officials, and have authority vested in them by the Rahbar. 

UMAA has no such authority ... and cannot make these bold statements that they represent Shi'as... you don't, all you do is represent yourself when you hob nob with Prez. 

Edited by skylight2

• Advanced Member

UMAA regrets the speech of Wolfowitz and since that time the administration and philosophy of the organization has changed. While we do believe it is fully important to engage in discourse with political officials, it must be done under the rubric of advancing the cause of the Prophet and his Ahlul Bayt and the situation of Shias in the US and around the world. UMAA looks forward to constructive dialogue, but is not a forum for any other group or government to advance its own agenda. The meeting with the President, as well as dozens of other meetings with not only government agencies, but also nonprofit groups, anti discrimination agencies, and others - have all occurred under this philosophy of engagement for the sake of advancement. We do not believe engagement to the be same as admonishment or condemnation of the people we are meeting with.

I personally do not think hatred, attacks, anonymous comments, and insults (as have been posted in this thread) are from the teachings of Ahlul Bayt. 

It is our firm belief that these types of meetings are necessary for the safeguarding of our community and its interests in the future. Certainly every other Muslim group is engaging in similar behavior. At the same meeting, in attendance was the President of the largest Sunni group in America (ISNA), as was the past president of ISNA. The head of Muslim Advocates was there, the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) sent representatives. Its illogical for us to be "ok" with every Muslim group to attend these meetings except Shia ones. 

Finally, while you may believe that it is against Islam to do such things, no Marja has ever said such a thing. Indeed, the representatives of many Shia governments, and Marjas themselves, have conversated with the US Govt, the President and others. Many of these communications have been continuous, polite and cordial, without condemnation or admonishment, and have been for the same goal. Its unfortunate that you dont like this or dont like us, but this is our stance and we're going to keep doing these things inshallah. We pray that our efforts are successful and advance the cause of our Masoomeen and the situation of our community.

What exactly about the speech of Wolfowitz does UMAA regret? 

Is there any video or transcript available on the dialogue between UMAA and Obama? I'm interested in knowing what exactly was discussed to help the Shias worldwide. 

JazakAllah. 

Edited by NaveenHussain

• Moderators

Then why does UMAA allow US 'intelligence' agencies such as CIA to openly recruit at their conferences ? 

Are you (and the organizers) really so extremely naive that you have no idea what the CIA does in Muslim countries ? 

Are you really so naive that you have no idea what the FBI does with Muslim organization in the US ? 

How they are constantly recruiting naive and dunya oriented individuals in order to create fitna within muslim organizations in the US ? 

If this fact alone was taken in isolation (apart from all the other black spots on the record of UMAA such as the Wolfowitz speech) that would be enough for me and most other Shia who live in the US not to support this organization. 

This organization is not credible among most of the Shia in the US for the reasons mentioned. 

If there are individuals within the organization who are sincere and wish to serve the interests of the followers of Ahl Al Bayt(a.s), then I suggest they find another group to be a part of. Full Stop. 

Edited by Abu Hadi