Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Hameedeh

Healing Dry Hands

Rate this topic

This is a question by a member who wishes to remain anonymous. She does not want to post in the Sisters Forum because some brothers might have good advice as well, so I am posting this in the Health and Fitness.

Dry, cracked or chapped hands, especially in the winter time. What do you do about it? Thanks.

Salam sis,

I don't know in terms of Winter/weather. But there is this cream especially for hands called Aqueous. I would really recommend it to everyone. It can be bought from the Pharmacy. It is really good, I have personally experienced it. However, do check with the pharmacist in case of any allergies, though I doubt it will have major chemicals for concern inshaAllah.

Wasalam

Always wear gloves and cover yourself as much as you can during Winter and Autumn season.

There was a Hadith on Imam Ali in which he said that Autumn and winter has the same effect on humans as they do on trees, so wear more layers in Autumn and winter but less layers in spring and summer, because in spring the air is good for plants therefore good for humans, whereas it kills plants in Autumn and winter.

I have noticed many women getting cracked finger tips, its mainly due to the cold, so keep your hand warm and moisturised.

Neosporin eczema essentials cream is the best I've found so far, and I have extensive experience with dry, cracked skin. Also be sure to drink plenty of water and eat enough but not too much oily and fatty food.

You could try SnowFire. Its a bit stinky so what i'd do is get some latex gloves and put the snowfire on the affected area before bed and wear the gloves during the night so id doesnt get on the sheets. That should sooth and soften the area. The smell might not bother you by the way...its like burnt thyme.

400410-1000_1000.jpg

She said these replies are very helpful. Part of the problem is that she has one of those new cell phones that you have to swipe the screen so she is reluctant to put anything on her hands until she goes to sleep. By then her hands are really dry and painful. She said thank you for all the replies and she liked all your posts. 

Try your best to keep your hands moisturised specially in the winter.. I use Vaseline Total Moisture.. :) and I have really dry skin as well.. 

And in the night you could put coconut oil as well since it's a good moisturiser :) 

The Neosporin cream that I mentioned absorbs into skin really well. I don't have to clean my touch screens nearly as much as I used to since I started using it. Something richer might be better for nights though. I'm allergic to a lot of skin products. I've used lanolin, coconut oil, and olive oil at night, with mixed results, but definitely Neosporin cream is the best that I've used by day. Part of my dry skin problem stems from the allergy to a lot of products, which causes blisters and an itchy rash, then dries and severely cracks.

A relative of mine wears disposable vinyl gloves (not the ones with powder inside) at night, and I asked her about the name of the cream she uses. She said it is A+D First Aid Ointment which has lanolin but mostly petrolatum. My family has E45 Moisturising Hand Cream. Also we have Eucerin Original Healing Soothing Repair Lotion. I'm thinking that almost any product will create a barrier to the air and moisten the skin.   

Wash your hands less with soap. In my anatomy and physiology class, the instructor told us his wife had chapped lips and he told her to go 2 weeks or more without putting lip chapstick on it. Her lips got really cracked and one day, her lips completely healed and so she never needed lip chapstick again. Amazing how the human body works.

Perhaps, the same thing can be applied to your hands. It doesn't hurt to give it a try?

post-64126-0-88724600-1424510137.jpg

for me ^ does the job . My hands can get extremely dry too and nothing was working until I tried this ... Its quite thick so you may have to wear gloves.I  apply this at night and exfoliate my hands in the morning with a mix of  mild soap and brown sugar(not daily but on the days when I have the energy and the time :P)    result :  soft, smooth, moisturised hands :)

I would strongly suggest giving it a try 

Dry skin is very common during winter times so we need proper hydration to avoid it. You can use natural oil like coconut oil or olive oil to hydrate your skin. Coconut oil has Vitamin E that can help repair the skin. Coconut oil is also a good natural moisturizer for the skin.