Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Jinn

Rate this topic

alani

• Advanced Member

A/A,

What do you people know of Jinn?

I work in the field of mental health and to be honest have dismissed In the past any effects due to Jinn.I would also be laughed out of the profession.

However as a muslim I am bound to accept their existence and have been pondering on their influence on men.

The most extensive book I have read is Ahmed Hulusi,s book on Jinn which if believed is an eyeopener!

What is the Shia perspective or experience?

Iam thinking it has not been taken seriously enough in muslim psychology?

• Advanced Member

Personally, I don't believe Jinn exist. The belief in supernatural beings roaming around and exercising their powers on people is a pagan idea that Muhammad (who was not infallible IMO) adopted and incorporated into his faith system.

The whole idea of demon possession was cunjured up by witch doctors to explain psychological disorders that primitive medicine men failed to explain. Much like their explanation of astrology and the shooting stars phenomenon.

• Advanced Member

• Advanced Member

Personally, I don't believe Jinn exist. The belief in supernatural beings roaming around and exercising their powers on people is a pagan idea that Muhammad (who was not infallible IMO) adopted and incorporated into his faith system.

The whole idea of demon possession was cunjured up by witch doctors to explain psychological disorders that primitive medicine men failed to explain. Much like their explanation of astrology and the shooting stars phenomenon.

Jinn exist,they are made of fire.Iblis,may he be cursed, is a jin.There are mo'min and disbelievers amongst them.Just like humans.

are u even Muslim ?

• Advanced Member

A/A,

What do you people know of Jinn?

I work in the field of mental health and to be honest have dismissed In the past any effects due to Jinn.I would also be laughed out of the profession.

However as a muslim I am bound to accept their existence and have been pondering on their influence on men.

The most extensive book I have read is Ahmed Hulusi,s book on Jinn which if believed is an eyeopener!

What is the Shia perspective or experience?

Iam thinking it has not been taken seriously enough in muslim psychology?

I used to think Jinn cannot be perceived by humans.

My father always said, because they were made of fire and we of clay/earth, we cannot sense them. They can interact with us in some form, though never specified by him. I simply believed, they could not "possess" a human nor physically interact with them. This confused the bananas out of me, because my mother claimed to have seen jinns in Iraq and my blind grandfather supposedly possessed the ability to communicate with them at one point. Of course as an agnostic, at this point, I doubt all of this. My parents had quite a stressful life as children. Living in a war-torn country and losing loved ones, psychosis was bound to happen at one point or another. Mind you, my mother is a qualified doctor herself, so she should be aware of this. Although, I think her spiritual involvement could have created some bias in her judgement.

As for the general islamic opinion, I've watched a few documentaries during my previous "religious phases" that may interest you. You can find these on youtube. I won't be providing you with links, since I've forgotten which clips I exactly watched. My "religious phases" have long passed, unfortunately...

t seemed as though popular opinion was, that yes, jinn cannot be sensed by humans but the same is not true for jinns. They can see and sense us. The way they interact with us, is by taking shape of objects or living things in our physical world. But they cannot possess humans (-contradicts the story of Solomon, doesn't it?). They, like us, possess free will- they can do harm or do good. Supposedly, they too are undergoing a test of some sort. 

Anyway, whatever the case, I don't believe jin can be seen nor sensed. In fact, I am not even sure they exist at all. It all seems like a fairy tale mumbo-jumbo. 

Edited by NoorA.95

• Basic Members

jiin definately do exist. they are created from the black smoke produced by fire. it is believed that they once roamed the earth. however, Allah (SWT) has not granted the jinn permission to harm humans. balck magic only includes the devil and not the jinn. balck magician use satan to fulfill their desires.

• Advanced Member

Jinn exist as it has to be accepted as per Koran.That said,this is a base line and we have been told of their existence as a warning,because Ibliss vowed to harm mankind and destroy individuals.

I think,as I said,that their influence is not acknowledged enough.I think clear cases of "possession" must be rare,I havnt seen anything like that.But subtle influence is more likely.The waswasil.whispering,influencing our thought,twisting and perverting our lives.

In vulnerable,traumatised individuals,this would be more prominent and cause symptoms that are diagnosed as mental illness,

• Veteran Member

Anyway, whatever the case, I don't believe jin can be seen nor sensed. In fact, I am not even sure they exist at all. It all seems like a fairy tale mumbo-jumbo. 

(bismillah)

Even though you're an agnostic Muslim (by the way, how can you be that) you should know that there's an entire chapter in Quran named "Surat al-Jinn":  Of course, if you have read it, but disagree with it, then that would be another case.

So, yes, jinn does exist. No doubt about that.

(wasalam)

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Bros and sisters,Iam not getting much perspective on Shia experience of Jinn.

In Sunni world,there is lot of info and Ruqya is practiced.

Is Ruqya practiced in Shia world and is there much problem with Black Magic etc?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

(bismillah)

(salam)

As Muslims, we must believe in every single verse of the Quran. Not believing in even a single verse isn't something that a Muslim should do. It would be a grave sin. Jinn have been mentioned in the Quran e.g. Surah An-Naas & Surah Ar-Rahmaan etc. There is a complete surah named Surah Al-Jinn. Jinns are also mentioned in ahadees. If you still don't believe in their existence then, you will be committing a sin. 

EvSyOg.png

Your well-wisher in Islaam, Shees.

• Advanced Member

There are a number of views on Jinn being displayed here in this topic.

One person mentioned Jinn are made of fire, another mentioned that theyre made of smoke. Someone mentioned that they used to openly roam the earth.  Some have mentioned that they can physically interact with us, while others seem to disagree.

However, none of us have seen fire or smoke in the shape of a body walking around (or maybe crawling, or swimming or hopping etc.). Nobody has seen a person magically get picked up and thrown on the grown, as if something were physically interacting with them or harming them.

No commentary displayed in this forum gives any reason for us to believe that Jinn exist in the way they are being described.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone said the boogie monster existed and was made of dust, you would expect to see dust in the form of a monster walking around.  If someone said the boogie monster could manipulate peoples minds, we would need something to demonstrate that. 

For example, if a bank robber had a child, and taught the child to go rob banks, we could examine the father teaching the child. We could look at the methods both the father and child use to rob banks.  There are many ways you could make a case for someone being mentally controlled or brainwashed.

But none of this really exists with respect to Jinn.

Edited by iCambrian

• Advanced Member

They exist and can see us but we can't.

The holy Qur'an in sura 7:27 "O children of Adam, let not Satan tempt you as he removed your parents from Paradise, stripping them of their clothing to show them their private parts. Indeed, he sees you, he and his tribe, from where you do not see them. Indeed, We have made the devils allies to those who do not believe."

• Advanced Member

How you Know?

LoL !

I have heard that Jinns have a long life and they remember the event of Ghadir Khum or at least their fathers of grand fathers have seen that event.

I know it seems odd. But there is a fact. For sure Jinns are more aware of actions of Lucifer and his soldiers than humanity. We can not see Lucifer and we can not understand him but Jinns can understand and see their colleague.

Moreover there are some evidences in history which shows crowds of Jinns would refer and get help from Ahlul Bait (AS).

Kufa mosque has a door called "door of snake" (باب الثّعبان), it's name is because Jinns (similar to snakes) entered the mosque and people got frightened, but snake wanted to visit Ali (AS) on the pulpit.

I know it is odd, but search about it. The important point is that Muawiah changed the name to "door of elephant". If the story of Ali and the snake was not true Muawiah whould have not changed the name !