Rate this topic

AsSalam aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I am not sure if this question was asked previously since I am new here, but here is the question:

Why a lot of modern muslims use term suchs as "slightly religious," " moderately religious" etc (not as something bad but rather to what extent, in their opinion, Islam should be practiced). 

We have a Prophet (saw) , Ahlu Bayt (a.s) and our Imams (a.s) and they all followed the same religion, in the same manner. So are we trying to say that they were (authubillah) fanatics and we should not strive to be like them?

If not then why muslims are using these terms ? Or are we just covering our lack of ibada by giving it a "moderate" name not to feel too guilty?

WasSalam

People say moderate to separate themselves from the fanatics.

Pretty much this.  In my opinion, you're either non-Muslim, a "deficient" practicing Muslim, or practicing Muslim.  I think most of us would fall somewhere on the spectrum of a deficient Muslim, even the best of us, since none of us are perfect.  But there's a misperception among non-Muslims that being an extremely religious Muslim would put you in the company of folks like ISIS, so they label us (those that aren't vowing to kill them) as "moderates."

The use of phrases like moderately religious seems to me to be a way to distance oneself from the fanatics.  I would argue that the fanatics in question commit such horribly un-Islamic acts that THEY are the least religious. 

There seems to be an especial danger in describing oneself as moderate or moderately religious, as it suggests that the fanatics are the most religious and therefore Islam is inherently fanatical and violent; which we know to be obviously untrue.

Actully there is a story behind my question. I was just going over profiles on shiamatch members from Toronto (you don't need to register to view them) and that's where I saw all these moderate, slightly, balancing etc terms. And as I said, moderate by itself is not a bad word but the contect of profiles showed that the reason these terms were used by members is because they don't really want to follow as much as possible but try to limit it with salaat, fast, and jumaa. And we cannot attribute it to Salafis as well because it is a shia website

This whole categorization drives me crazy.

You can add to the list:

"modern muslim",

"I balance western and traditional Muslim values",

"progressive Muslim",

"open minded Muslim"

"I'm Muslim but I don't go overboard or go super crazy"

Edited by magma

Unfortunately in my family, you get referred to using those titles. Like if you pray Fajr everyday on time, then you're seen as a 'momin' lol.

Tell me about it. I live alone in Canada, and still even from far away, when I speak with my family on skype, invite them to improve their imaan, pray etc give them examples from Koran, hadith, they think that I am going to become mujtahid soon just because I am trying to be a muslim. 2-3 years ago my uncle, who lives in Sweden, and with whom I speak once a year at best, told my father that he suspects me being involved with  an african military group lol My father was worried.I had to explain him that it is an absurd claim. Thanks God he understood.. It is sad that most muslims today are cultural muslims

This whole categorization drives me crazy.

You can add to the list:

"modern muslim",

"I balance western and traditional Muslim values",

"progressive Muslim",

"open minded Muslim"

"I'm Muslim but I don't go overboard or go super crazy"

In other words, "I know nothing about Islam" . Sounds like Christianity before they totally left the religion by all means of this word. Sad ...