Sign in to follow this  
Langar

Is Depicting The Prophet (Saww) Actually Forbidden

Rate this topic

(salam)

Western news keeps going on about how in Islam, depicting the Prophet Muhammad (saww) in itself is a forbidden act.

It's actually not, lol, and every time I hear some western newscaster or journalist going on like they're some Islam expert it really baffles and annoys me, because the act of drawing our Prophet (saww) or A'immah (as) in itself isn't wrong.

What's wrong is insulting them, be it in a cartoon or speech or whatever.

And also, this is an Islamic law which applies to Muslims. If a non-Muslim wants to go off on one, who are we to judge them to our standards and laws?

I'm NOT defending any non-Muslims who want to insult my Prophet (saww), I'm just saying, screw them innit.

Anyhow, what's y'all's 2 pennies?

(salam)

Western news keeps going on about how in Islam, depicting the Prophet Muhammad (saww) in itself is a forbidden act.

It's actually not, lol, and every time I hear some western newscaster or journalist going on like they're some Islam expert it really baffles and annoys me, because the act of drawing our Prophet (saww) or A'immah (as) in itself isn't wrong.

What's wrong is insulting them, be it in a cartoon or speech or whatever.

And also, this is an Islamic law which applies to Muslims. If a non-Muslim wants to go off on one, who are we to judge them to our standards and laws?

I'm NOT defending any non-Muslims who want to insult my Prophet (saww), I'm just saying, screw them innit.

Anyhow, what's y'all's 2 pennies?

All muslim scholars whether sunni or shia are against depicting of the Holy Prophet saw.

Who told u its not forbidden? 

All muslim scholars whether sunni or shia are against depicting of the Holy Prophet saw.

Who told u its not forbidden? 

Please reference your claim.

Please reference your claim.

Please show me a tradition where the twelve imams made or encouraged the shias to make depictions of the Holy Prophet & ultimately advising them to hang those depictions on the walls of our home. 

The key concern is that the use of images can encourage idolatry. Hence discouraging such activity.

Edited by Invoker

Some scholars believe that it a forbidden act per fair that you may worship the prophet , that's why in ancient mosques, there are only calligraphies and not drawings , but i still like the shabe-e me'raj drawing that was made in teheran (the one that Yoel just posted).  

Please show me a tradition where the twelve imams made or encouraged the shias to make depictions of the Holy Prophet & ultimately advising them to hang those depictions on the walls of our home. 

The key concern is that the use of images can encourage idolatry. Hence discouraging such activity.

There's a difference between discouraging and forbidding.

Divorce is discouraged but not forbidden.

Some scholars believe that it a forbidden act per fair that you may worship the prophet , that's why in ancient mosques, there are only calligraphies and not drawings , but i still like the shabe-e me'raj drawing that was made in teheran (the one that Yoel just posted).  

Please state which scholars and their rulings regarding the matter. Wishy-washy arguments don't do anyone any good.

Question: Is it permissible to draw or produce a scene which shows the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.), one of the past prophets or the infallible Imams (a.s.), or other luminaries and show it in cinema, on television or theater?

Answer: If due deference and respect is observed, and the scene does not contain anything that would detract from their holy pictures in the minds [of the viewers], there is no problem.

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/search/168050/