Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

653 False Hadiths In Bukhari & Muslim

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Muslim scholar argues that 653 hadiths in Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are false

January 4, 2009 1:05 pm By Raymond Ibrahim

imageview.aspx.jpg

Jamal al-Banna, brother of Muslim Brotherhood founder Hassan al-Banna

I just heard about this controversy while watching Arabic satellite. So I did a bit of googling and found the following 2 week-old report. While this story has gotten virtually no attention here in the West, it is apparently causing problems in the Islamic world, especially Egypt, where it originates.

Muslims have traditionally believed that the hadiths of Bukhari and Muslim — both of which are prefixed with that all-important Arabic word, Sahih, that is, “verified” or “authenticated” — are true, indeed, second in authority only to the Koran.

Simultaneously, there are a number of outrageous hadiths in these two collections — such as Rida al-Kabir (breastfeeding the adult) — which, at least some Muslims, would prefer if they were stricken out of the hadith corpus.

The problem, of course, is if Muslim scholars cast doubt on a single hadith in Bukhari and Muslim, the collections in their entirety become suspect. And without these two otherwise canonical hadith collections, Sunni Islam — which relies more on the hadith than even the Koran when it comes to regulating life — becomes unintelligible; sharia law falls apart. Another one of Islam’s “catch-22″ situations.

“Jamal al-Banna’s new book: critique of Bukhari and Muslim,” by John Stringer for St. Francis Magazine, December 18:

Jamal al-Banna, a younger brother of Hassan al-Banna (founder of the Muslim Brotherhood) has just published a book in which he argues that 653 of the hadiths as written in al-Bukhari and Muslim are incorrect and should not be accepted. The Arabic book is titled
The Cleansing of Bukhari and Muslim from useless Hadiths
(2008).

After the Qur’an, al-Bukhari’s collection of hadiths (the acts and sayings of the prophet Muhammad) is considered the most sacred book in Islam;
never before has any Muslim scholar who lives in the Arab world, thrown so much doubt — publicly – on the sources of Islam

But Mr Jamal al-Banna (86 years old now) is used to being attacked by al-Azhar, and he says he does not care. He excludes six kinds of hadiths:

* Those that explain the Qur’an: the Qur’an can’t by explained by hadiths.

* Those that talk bad about women – like the one’s that call them
and to beat them up and so on.

* Those that forbid the freedom of religion and that threaten those who leave Islam.

* Those with extreme ideas for encouraging people into Islam and the ones threatening people wit physical violence.

* Those that talk about Muhammad’s miracles.

* Some others of which he thinks that the story is not true at all.

• Advanced Member

yes, so first grow up then comment on something which is respected by billion Muslims. Thank you.

It s respected for u?I think the age is not important! I read it and I found out my prophet (I refuge to Allah) is sexy and crazy man base on what read on those.I know he is not so,coz this I found out that these books r the worst!I m 16 but I have brain and can think and understand.

I even see myself the caricatures which were drawn for prophet and found out that they r base on Sahih Bukhari!If this book is right,so those caricatures r right and they r not insulting!

Edited by Life=Abbas
  • Advanced Member

it depends on what you think and what your brain is seeking, this is why I said grow up then you might find something else as well in the book. till then good luck.

Oh man...If u like,I can pm u those caricatures

In defense of our sister, she is young, but I know that English is not her native language.  I have to pay respect where it is due and to say that I am still not as fluent at 38 years old in another language as she is in English, and at such a young age.  Whatever debate may be had over the substance of the post, I think we should keep in mind that our younger brothers and sisters have opinions that matter and we shouldn't disregard them due to age.  I wish to Allah (s.w.t.) that I had been as passionate and as knowledgable about my beliefs at 16 as she is.

No criticism on anyone, I am the least knowledgable among you all, but I just wanted to defend our sister Abbas. 

(wasalam)

R

* Those that explain the Qur’an: the Qur’an can’t by explained by hadiths.

* Those that talk about Muhammad’s miracles.

This sounds extremely bad. Why would he think Rasool cannot explain Quran or hadiths of the context of revelation don't help? This would do away with hadithal Kisaa.

I am so sorry if I got the name and gender wrong in my earlier message.  I thought Abbas was a sister.  If I did get that wrong, I apologize.  I can't see how to edit my post to correct it.  Anyway, brother, if I thought you were a sister, and I was wrong, I apologize.  I am still terrible with non-Germanic names. So I apologize if I got genders mixed up here.

Edited by reisiger
  • Advanced Member

This Muslim "scholar" has argued that Qur'an can only be explained by Qur'an?! Also, this "scholar" seems more like a secular type of guy who is on the verge of leaving Islam altogether...given that he does not really like the shariah rulings in general (he doesn't like the rules of apostasy, he doesn't like what he 'thinks' is 'ill-fitting' in Islam..)

He is not even worth all the commotion. May be he was just looking for some quick spotlight.

Edit: I realized the report is really old (2009) and that Jamal al-Banna passed away in 2013.

Edited by Inquisitor
  • Advanced Member

I am so sorry if I got the name and gender wrong in my earlier message. I thought Abbas was a sister. If I did get that wrong, I apologize. I can't see how to edit my post to correct it. Anyway, brother, if I thought you were a sister, and I was wrong, I apologize. I am still terrible with non-Germanic names. So I apologize if I got genders mixed up here.

Never mind bro!Abbas is boy 's name Edited by Life=Abbas
  • Advanced Member

After the Qur’an, al-Bukhari’s collection of hadiths (the acts and sayings of the prophet Muhammad) is considered the most sacred book in Islam; never before has any Muslim scholar who lives in the Arab world, thrown so much doubt — publicly – on the sources of Islam.

That's not true.  al-Daraqunti (one of the biggest Sunni hadith scholars of all time) wrote a book called الإلزامات والتتبع criticizing several hadiths in Bukhari and Muslim

It's available for download here:

http://book-alasaala.blogspot.com/2011/06/pdf_8892.html

As for the various conditions, why can't hadiths explain the Quran considering that Allah(swt) said that the Prophet (pbuh) is to explain the Quran:

بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَالزُّبُرِ ۗ وَأَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الذِّكْرَ لِتُبَيِّنَ لِلنَّاسِ مَا نُزِّلَ إِلَيْهِمْ وَلَعَلَّهُمْ يَتَفَكَّرُونَ

[16:44] Shakir

With clear arguments and scriptures; and We have revealed to you the Reminder that you may make clear to men what has been revealed to them, and that haply they may reflect.

and that the Prophet (pbuh) teaches us the hikmah:

لَقَدْ مَنَّ اللَّـهُ عَلَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ إِذْ بَعَثَ فِيهِمْ رَسُولًا مِّنْ أَنفُسِهِمْ يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِهِ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَإِن كَانُوا مِن قَبْلُ لَفِي ضَلَالٍ مُّبِينٍ

[3:164] Shakir

Certainly Allah conferred a benefit upon the believers when He raised among them an Apostle from among themselves, reciting to them His communications and purifying them, and teaching them the Book and the wisdom, although before that they were surely in manifest error.

?

And there's much to be said about the other conditions but the author is apparently no longer alive

and Allah(swt) knows best