Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sanazi

Mediums, Strong 6Th Sense, Psychic Abilities

Rate this topic

What does Islam says about people who are born with special God-given talents and mental abilities that others do not possess?  

There are people who have a gift to interpret dreams. I've met Islamic practitioners who have psychic abilities. So what does Islam say about consulting mediums?

I don't think these are God-given talents, but talents you can learn and practice yourself. Most of these things, though, shouldn't be taken seriously from an islamic point of view. I read coffee grids for entertainment, but I usually tell anyone that whatever I say is a lie, because even if what I'm telling is true or do actually happen in the future, the very moment I'm saying it I have absolutely no idea about it, thus I'm definitely lying, regardless of the veracity of my words. Reading coffee grids or using any other method is not a talent though. It's something you can learn from scratch, and you may get better at it or not (that may actually depend on the person).

I do personally avoid to think it is something given by God, because these practices could easily be considered makrooh if not haraam, depending on the way and mindset they are performed. For entertainment, maybe, but many people take it way too seriously sadly.

There is another knowledge, though, and it's not a talent but a field of knowledge. These people do also have a certain spiritual level. These are related to the interpretation of dreams, numerology, etc.

It's important to be able to differ between the two groups of people (astrologist, coffee grid readers, etc. and the interpretators of dreams, for example). Because the first don't base their ability in the Quran, while the second group (although not all, but there are alims who do) base their knowledge in Quran.

Edited by Bakir