Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
UmmEbrahim

Face Veil And Kohl?

Rate this topic

Salam everyone,

I have a serious question (well, to me it seems quite serious) for all of my siblings in faith here..

I am currently working as a show producer and anchor for a Shia Islamic Channel and I appear on TV with my face covered. I know it's just mustahab to cover the face but I just didn't like the idea of having more than a thousand males observing my face so I just decided to cover it up and be more comfortable following my passion on TV. Now the problem is, I have always worn kohl in my eyes in a manner that I just lined my waterline. During my college days (when I used to be one irreligious girl), I acquired the habit of kohling my eyes just because I was often told that I have drowsy eyes and they looked more awake with the kohl (imagine, whenever I went with a no-kohl look, even the friendly peons would be like,"what happened, did you cry in the morning?") and have the same problem till now.

I am a changed person today. My job on this channel gives me the satisfaction of living up my dreams (of being a script writer, anchor) without compromising upon my hereafter. But some people say my eyes look more attractive with the kohl so I shouldn't be wearing even that thing, otherwise I'm a good inspiration for most of the girls. I told them what my problem is and that my intention is just to make them appear awake and lively but they don't seem to accept it wholeheartedly. I don't want to rot in hell by doing anything that causes any kind of fitna among the men who watch my show. So, I mailed Agha Sistani asking the same thing and he said," If it is not noticeable and is not considered make up in common view, then it is permissible." But I'm still not sure what to do..I mean, I know i don't do smokey eyes or mascara, curl my lashes or anything like that..it's just a couple of kohl strokes on the waterline..I don't understand whether I should continue with it just because I know my intention is pure or should I completely forsake it and appear with "cried all night long / sleepy"  eyes and be a butt of joke among people everywhere!

My husband is a very supportive guy and I owe all my success and everything good that I have to him. He doesn't mind my kohl-ed eyes but he says I should apply in a way that it doesn't look too obvious that I use kohl on TV. So I purchased a brown kohl that's more like a chocolaty color and applied on my lashline while smudging it on the waterline and went for the recent shoot, I'm yet to see how it appears on TV..If it fulfills my purpose I may as well continue with it but I really want to know your opinions so that I make a more informed choice and save my hereafter!!!

JazakAllah to everyone in advance!

(salam) 

Congratulations on your success of living up to your dreams! May Allah keep your future bright. As for the kohl, there are many Hadith which narrate that the Prophet Muhammad  (pbuh) applied kohl on his eyes. Obviously not the branded ones like we have today, but rather a pure kohl known as Ithmid. Now, personally I see no harm in applying this to your eyes, the Prophet  (pbuh) did it, so it can't really be haram. Some might question the fact that thousands of people are going to be watching you on TV, well aren't people going to see you in public anyway? Does the number have an affect? 

At the end of the day, it is your intentions that count. You're not doing it to please or get the attention of other men, but rather for yourself. Allah knows best  ^_^

(wasalam)

Bismillah.

Salaam sister.

Here is your answer in Arabic and I will send you an English link about the verdicts of Ayatollah Khamenei and Sistani and I am doing that because I don’t know your Marja’;

السؤال: هل ان کحل العین هو من الامور التی یجب سترها؟

جواب کل من آیة الله العظمی الامام الخمینی، و السید الخامنئی و الفاضل و الوحید الخراسانی:

یجب ستره اذا کان ذلک یعد زینة عرفاً1]

و اجاب آیة الله السیستانی: یجوز فی الکحل و الخاتم بشرط أن تأمن من الوقوع فی الحرام و لا تقصد بها إثارة الرجال الاجانب2]

جواب آیة الله العظمی مکارم الشیرازی و النوری: لا یجب ستر ذلک3]

آیة الله بهجت و آیة الله الصافی: یعد ذلک زینة و یجب ستره4]

آیة الله التبریزی: اذا کان ذلک متعارفاً للنساء الکبیرات و ما یقرب منها، لا یجب ستره، و فی غیر هذه الصورة یستر5]

[1] آیة الله الفاضل، جامع المسائل، ج1، س1707، ومکتب آیة الله العظمی الامام الخمینی، وآیة الله الوحید الخراسانی، وآیة الله الخامنئی.

[2] السیستانی، السید علی، الفتاوی المیسرة، ص430، السؤال: من المألوف فی هذه الایام أن تضع المرأة الکحل فی العینین والمکیاج علی الوجه وتلبس الخاتم والقلادة والسوار للزینة ثم تخرج أمام الناس فی الاسواق والشوارع؟

-لا یجوز لها ذلک الا فی الکحل والخاتم بشرط أن تأمن من الوقوع فی الحرام ولا تقصد بها إثارة الرجال الاجانب.

[3] آیة الله النوری، الاستفتاءات، ج1، س542و500، آیة الله مکارم الشیرازی، الاستفتاءات، ج1، س802

[4] مکتب آیة الله بهجت وآیة الله الصافی، نقلاً عن: التساؤلات.

[5] آیة الله التبریزی، صراط النجاة، ج1،س882و883.

Ayatollah Khamenei:

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa651

Ayatollah Sistani:

A woman is allowed to use antimony (kohl) on her eyelashes and wear rings in both hands, provided that it is not intended for drawing lustful attention of men towards herself and that she is confident of not getting into a harãm act. Otherwise, it is obligatory on her to cover [the eyes that have kohl and the hands with rings] even from those who are mahram to her. http://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2065/

With Duas.

Narsis.

Thanks both of you. I know it is permissible but the way in which some people question me for the kohl, I begin to feel extremely uncomfortable and wonder whether I'm actually treading the wrong path by choosing to be a center of attraction for the men..I would love to give up the kohl, if it meant protecting the hereafter, but guys, I really don't have the strength to see people mock at the drowsiness of my eyes..If any of the mods like hameedeh and Notme could impart their logic on this matter, it'd perhaps make me more strong in choosing the right option.

I used to use the Maybelline's Colossal Kajal until the 'boycott-Israeli-product' came into existence..dunno if that's what classifies as an actual kohl or not!

About mascara, I'm sure it's not allowed but foundation, maybe it is because i heard a female speaker here who said there's nothing wrong in concealing minor flaws; she added that using make up in a way that gives you an instant makeover then it's haraam otherwise it's just fine to use a foundation, concealer, kohl n lipbalm..maybe someone can correct me here?

Edited by UmmEbrahim

Thanks both of you. I know it is permissible but the way in which some people question me for the kohl, I begin to feel extremely uncomfortable and wonder whether I'm actually treading the wrong path by choosing to be a center of attraction for the men..I would love to give up the kohl, if it meant protecting the hereafter, but guys, I really don't have the strength to see people mock at the drowsiness of my eyes..If any of the mods like hameedeh and Notme could impart their logic on this matter, it'd perhaps make me more strong in choosing the right option.

Since I became Muslim I stopped wearing makeup. I know that some women use eyeliner when they attend weddings, but they probably do not know that the use of kohl, kajal and surma have been linked to lead poisoning. I have heard that some women in Iran are getting a permanent tattoo on their eyelids instead of daily applying of kohl, kajal or surma, although I do not know which marja allows tattoo of the eyelid. I certainly will not be doing that, because infection or accidental injury in such a delicate eye area is dangerous. 

In the US, cosmetics are regulated for safety. Kohl, Kajal, Al-Kahl or Surma can be dangerous depending on the source of the manufacturer. Kohl is an illegal product in the US. Buyer beware.

http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/products/ucm137250.htm