Sign in to follow this  
Hameedeh

Making Up Missed Prayers

Rate this topic

This is a question by a member who wishes to remain anonymous.

The question is how to make up prayers missed due to illness or falling asleep. Should the prayers be made up in the order that they were missed, doing the oldest ones first or can the most recent missed prayers be performed first? Thanks for your help.

Missed prayers:

09-14-2011 fajr prayer 

09-19-2012 fajr prayer 

10-28-2012 fajr prayer

01-31-2011 zohr & asr 

03-19-2012 zohr & asr 

04-01-2013 zohr & asr

01-29-2012 maghrib & isha 

02-08-2013 maghrib & isha

02-24-2014 maghrib & isha

05-02-2012 isha prayer 

07-15-2013 isha prayer 

01-10-2014 isha prayer

My opinion: I don't think it matters so long as it gets done.  Personally I'd start from the beginning, but I'd also do what's easiest.  For example, if I'm praying asr and I have somewhere to be soon, I might squeeze in an old fajr or maghrib instead of doing another 4 rakats.  It might only make a 2 minute differernce, but if it helps me finish, then it's better than postponing.

Since we are on this topic - I'd like to ask, I have only started praying since a few years ago, and the years before that i hardly every kept up with m prayers. Which means i have lost count as i have years of prayers to make up for. What should I do in this case?

Since we are on this topic - I'd like to ask, I have only started praying since a few years ago, and the years before that i hardly every kept up with m prayers. Which means i have lost count as i have years of prayers to make up for. What should I do in this case?

See,

I don't know how many qaza prayers I have done, but I think it's maybe 50 or 70.

In this case, you should take the least number.

However, as an precaution, then contact your marja.

Edited by Ali-F

This is a question by a member who wishes to remain anonymous.

The question is how to make up prayers missed due to illness or falling asleep. Should the prayers be made up in the order that they were missed, doing the oldest ones first or can the most recent missed prayers be performed first? Thanks for your help.

The usual Scholars's verdict is to observe the order between zohr and asr and also observe the order between maqrib and isha that means a person who has missed both maqrib and isha has to pray maqrib first and then isha.

He is not required to observe to start from the oldest ones.

Q 527: If a person has a lot of qaḍā’ prayers due on him, is it permissible for him to perform them in the following manner: 

i. To perform morning prayers, say twenty times;

ii. The noon and afternoon prayers, twenty times; 

ii. maghrib and ‘ishā’ prayers, twenty times, continuing in this way for a year? 

A: There is no problem in performing the qaḍā’ prayers in the manner described.(Ayatollah Khmenei's verdict)

http://www.leader.ir/tree/index.php?catid=23

Edited by mostafaa

Honestly, my opinion is that you're ok on all those that you missed.  I recall reading somewhere that if you truly repent for past transgressions/sins, and do your best to never repeat, you're forgiven.  So I'd say repent for missing those prayers and just do your best to not miss any in the future.  

Honestly, my opinion is that you're ok on all those that you missed.  I recall reading somewhere that if you truly repent for past transgressions/sins, and do your best to never repeat, you're forgiven.  So I'd say repent for missing those prayers and just do your best to not miss any in the future.  

May I ask you how did you come with such things dear?

The regulations( Al-ahkam) are the matter of certainty, therefore unless you are not sure about somthing do not say it. since it would mislead others.

Actually Salat is one of those Wajibat that a muslim has to perform it whatever his situation is. and in the case he missed some for any excuses, he has to make it up.

and the repentance only is counted as a resubmission to God for his past disobedience. So it has nothing to do with making his Qaza Salat up. 

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2260/

Edited by mahdi servant.01

May I ask you how did you come with such things dear?

The regulations( Al-ahkam) are the matter of certainty, therefore unless you are not sure about somthing do not say it. since it would mislead others.

Actually Salat is one of those Wajibat that a muslim has to perform it whatever his situation is. and in the case he missed some for any excuses, he has to make it up.

and the repentance only is counted as a resubmission to God for his past disobedience. So it has nothing to do with making his Qaza Salat up. 

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2260/

I stated that it was my opinion.  If someone wasn't religious, never prayed, fasted, etc., and then one day when he/she was 40 realized the errors of their ways, it is my opinion that if they repent for their past mistakes (including missed prayers) that they will likely be forgiven if their repentance is sincere.

Prayers are wajib, not performing wajib acts is akin to disobeying God - therefore, repenting for disobeying the requirement for prayer seems like a legit thing to be able to repent for.

Note, I'm not saying that you can repent for any missed prayers and then just catch up where you left off.  The person who I quoted in my post never took prayer seriously and would have years of prayer to make up.  Of course God is just, and I can't say what He would/would not want someone to do in this situation, but He is also merciful, and again it is my opinion that a sincere repentance for missed prayers would be acceptable than expecting someone to make up years of prayers.

I never stated anything as fact, or as a generally acceptable practice, just my opinion.

I stated that it was my opinion.  If someone wasn't religious, never prayed, fasted, etc., and then one day when he/she was 40 realized the errors of their ways, it is my opinion that if they repent for their past mistakes (including missed prayers) that they will likely be forgiven if their repentance is sincere.

Prayers are wajib, not performing wajib acts is akin to disobeying God - therefore, repenting for disobeying the requirement for prayer seems like a legit thing to be able to repent for.

Note, I'm not saying that you can repent for any missed prayers and then just catch up where you left off.  The person who I quoted in my post never took prayer seriously and would have years of prayer to make up.  Of course God is just, and I can't say what He would/would not want someone to do in this situation, but He is also merciful, and again it is my opinion that a sincere repentance for missed prayers would be acceptable than expecting someone to make up years of prayers.

I never stated anything as fact, or as a generally acceptable practice, just my opinion.

Brother there is no room for opinion in Islamic laws and jurisprudence. These laws and rules are very serious. You can have any opinion that you want but when it comes to this subforum, it is usually better to keep opinions to yourself. 

If you have not prayed for years, you should start making them up now. Obviously they will be a lot so pace yourself, going at a pace that is reasonable, but you need to actively be working to make up your missed prayers. If you die but you were in the process of making up missed prayers, you will be in a lot better standing inshaAllah than if you never even attempted to make those prayers up. 

Brother there is no room for opinion in Islamic laws and jurisprudence. These laws and rules are very serious. You can have any opinion that you want but when it comes to this subforum, it is usually better to keep opinions to yourself. 

If you have not prayed for years, you should start making them up now. Obviously they will be a lot so pace yourself, going at a pace that is reasonable, but you need to actively be working to make up your missed prayers. If you die but you were in the process of making up missed prayers, you will be in a lot better standing inshaAllah than if you never even attempted to make those prayers up. 

I can appreciate that there's no room for opinion on this forum.  I can also appreciate that my opinion may be wrong, and unsupported by the Sunnah and jurisprudence.

However, let's not forget that most jurisprudence (other than what is explicitly stated in the Quran and the most verified hadiths) is opinion of the scholars/marjas.  Of course they know far more than I ever will, and their opinion on Islamic matters should be given far more weight than mine.  But it's still their opinion.