Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Back-Biting: A Sin Worse Than Adultery ?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Considering the punishment for adultery is death, and there is no hadd for backbiting, I somehow doubt that. However, there is no doubt that backbiting is a major sin.

Some say adultery hurts the person whos committing the act, while backbiting has the potential of destroying a whole society. 

• Advanced Member

Considering the punishment for adultery is death, and there is no hadd for backbiting, I somehow doubt that. However, there is no doubt that backbiting is a major sin.

Punishment for adultery is not death. its lashes (unless he/she repents then all is forgiven).

Also, i have heard that Backbiting is worse than adultery because in order to be forgiven for backbiting by God, you mast first be forgiven by the person you were gossiping about, whereas you can be forgiven for adultery without needing the forgiveness of others. im pretty certain It was quoted by Imam Ali (as), yet i do not remember the exact words/ phrases he used.

• Advanced Member

Punishment for adultery is not death. its lashes (unless he/she repents then all is forgiven).

Also, i have heard that Backbiting is worse than adultery because in order to be forgiven for backbiting by God, you mast first be forgiven by the person you were gossiping about, whereas you can be forgiven for adultery without needing the forgiveness of others. im pretty certain It was quoted by Imam Ali (as), yet i do not remember the exact words/ phrases he used.

Yes, that is what I heard from a friend too, who told me he read this in the Quran. So I was hoping someone could vertify this. Is it mentioned in the Quran or hadiths, regardless if they are Sunni or Shia ?

Thanks .

• Advanced Member

Yes, that is what I heard from a friend too, who told me he read this in the Quran. So I was hoping someone could vertify this. Is it mentioned in the Quran or hadiths, regardless if they are Sunni or Shia ?

Thanks .

The Punishment for adultery is mentioned in the quran:

"(As for) the fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them, (giving) a hundred stripes, and let not pity for them detain you in the matter of obedience to Allah, if you believe in Allah and the last day, and let a party of believers witness their chastisement. (24:2)

The fornicator shall not marry any but a fornicatress or idolatress, and (as for) the fornicatress, none shall marry her but a fornicator or an idolater; and it is forbidden to the believers.(24:3)

Also note that the punishment for zina cannot possibly be death, as it would be incoherent for the verse 3 (above) to talk about adulterers remarrying.

As for gossiping being worse that adultry, it is not mentioned in the quran (as far as i  know) only ahadiths.

The Prophet (s) once gave counsel to Abu Dharr ® , saying: “O Abu Dharr! Beware of backbiting, for backbiting is graver than adultery (zina’).” Abu Dharr ® said: “Why is that so, O Messenger of Allah?” He (s) replied: “That is because when a man commits adultery and then repents to God, God accepts his repentance. However, backbiting is not forgiven until forgiven by its victim.” [Al-Hurr al-`Amili, Wasai'l al-Shi`ah, vol. 8, hadith no. 18312]

This hadith is from a shia source, though im fairly certain that such are present in sunni sources, though with weaker ratings.

Perhaps this site should clarify:

http://www.islamic-laws.com/backbiting.htm

Edited by safana