Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Licensing And Copyright

Rate this topic

Abraram

• Advanced Member
Salam un Aliekum,

I am Abrar Ahmed and I want to ask things about online copyright and licensing issues.. I think, today, when internet is used by most of the shias, we have to find the haram and halal about Copyright and Licensing thing.

Question:

There are websites which offers free things but have restrictions like 

1. You are not allowed to make it available for downloading for others 

2. Item cannot be resold or shared

3. Cannot copy etc

I want to ask that is it mandatory (wajib) for a muslim to obey those rules online and does it apply for torrent downloads (the items which are paid but are available to download for free like games, music albums, books etc.) as well?

I follow Ayatollah Sistani r.a..

Thanks,

Abrar Ahmed

As an example:

0351983684.png
Edited by Abrar7866

• Advanced Member

if you accept this licence , you must observe it ! :rolleyes:  it is very simple !

وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ لِأَمَانَاتِهِمْ وَعَهْدِهِمْ رَاعُونَ

And those who are keepers of their trusts and their covenant,[23:8]

• Veteran Member

There are a group of rights called exploitation rights. These are redistribution, edition, copying and selling. The author or holder of these rights may give you permission or not to exploit these rights. It is his property after all. Any creation has a license.

When you redistribute a game, for example, for free when it's supposed to be a game for which people pay to play it, you are causing a financial harm to the author or owner of that game.

Edited by Bakir

• Veteran Member

Rule for Copyright on Sistani.org

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01153/

Question: What is the ruling on copying computer software, movies, audio CDs and other such things, which bear the wording “All Rights Reserved” or “Copyright”? Does this rule apply equally to Muslim made products and those made by non-Muslim individuals or companies?

Answer: Copyrights must be respected; it is not permissible to copy a software product, if it is against the law.
-------------------------

Question: A lot of Islamic books and software have copyrights on them. What is the Islamic view of copyrights? If I photocopy a book or duplicate a CD with a copyright am I doing a sin?

Answer: Copying or duplicating a book or software without their owner's permission is not permissible.
-------------------------

Question: Can I use cracked CD software?

Answer: If someone else has cracked the software, you can use it but you are not allowed to copy or burn it into another compact disc.
Edited by alirex